View Full Version : Letus Extreme and...

Pages : [1] 2

Daniel Alexander
March 1st, 2008, 02:08 PM
I know it's here somewhere but i cant seem to find it. I'm looking to buy a letus extreme for my EX1 but would really like to know exactly what setup others would reccomend (trying to keep prices down to a minimum), i.e. what rail system they are using, lens mount, and most importantly which lens they have purchased to use with the adapter and also any pitfalls or limitations i should be aware of when marrying the ex1 to a letus, thank you.

Dean Harrington
March 1st, 2008, 06:01 PM
is a good place to start. Follow the threads here on the questions you have. It'll take a bit of reading but the answers are there.
http://www.philipbloom.co.uk/Philip_Bloom/Home.html

Steve Cahill
March 1st, 2008, 06:19 PM
Phil has a great blog, also check my blog as well...

http://web.mac.com/stevecahill/Steve_Cahills_Blog/Blog/Blog.html

Phil Bloom
March 2nd, 2008, 01:27 AM
feel free to email me any questions. Am always happy to answer questions.

Max Kaiser
March 2nd, 2008, 10:25 PM
Daniel,

I feel your pain. I basically have the same questions. I've been pretty thoroughly through Phil and Steve's blogs, both are wonderful. So far, what I've found is the Zacuto rail mount system looks awesome. The lenses I'm not so sure about. I often can't tell what people are using. Are folks using the PL mount with 35mm lenses or...? I'm just not sure what I should be pricing out.

Currently, I've got an XDCAM 330 and am looking for a back-up cam with the nifty Letus-style accoutrement to make it even tastier.

Also, I can't tell if the Letus flips or not? On some of Phil's pics he's got a Marshall hooked up and the image looks straight up and down.

Finally, my lead DP is concerned that the Letus will vignette but Phil's blogs swear it isn't so, Steve seems to back that up - any problems out there?

From what I've seen the imagery looks great. For only losing 1/2 stop, if there is no vignetteing this would be awesome. I'd love to see more posted on this - especially about which lenses for us lens newbies.

Max Kaiser

Tyler Franco
March 2nd, 2008, 11:40 PM
I too would enjoy reading a "newbie guide" to the Letus, how it works, the difference in the rails and which ones are needed for what purpose, ect.

Steve Cahill
March 3rd, 2008, 05:36 AM
The best lenses I would use are the Zeiss lenses, I have replaced all my Nikon manual focus lens with the Zeiss lenses. The 20mm, 50mm macro, 85mm are my main lenses. They can be bought at B&H. I find them just as sharp as the Nikons, but I also find the mechnical build of the lenses extremely well built and very smooth to focus with as well, perhaps better than the Nikons. The Zeiss lens come with Nikon mounts.

The Letus Extreme is a "fliped" unit offering the proper image orientation as well. It is all in one unit, well built and it holds up to the rigors to travel. I just returned from Prague with it, and there is one installment on Prague on my blog about this, 2 more to come stay tuned, with footage to be added.

The measure of any adapter is the ease of use, sharpness, and its mechnical
build, but one very important overlooked item is how well it attaches to the camera and what support system to use to "hold it" in place. You do not need a cheap support system that does not work, screws do not tighten, come loose, and then the adapter gets out of alignment.

By far the best system is the Zaucto rail system and it meets the above requirements. Not inexpensive, you get what you pay for, and it is rock solid. I whish the Letus had incorporated in it, holes for a rail system to pass through it for additional support. I have taken additional steps to make it more solid, and will share this is a future blog on my site.

Take the time to explore Philips blog and mine to see pics of the setups, the best thing you can do is take the plunge and get the system based on our experiences. Also check out the other sites for other adapters they have lots of users set-up pics so you can get other ideas. I do strongly suggest a system that is rock solid, adjusts with ease, locks into place so that your travels with the system do NOT turn into a alignment session vers a shooting session. Now get out and shoot!

Jason Bodnar
March 3rd, 2008, 10:14 PM
I too am going to buy a Letus and was leaning toward this package.

http://www.zacuto.com/Letus_cine_kit.htm

Is this a good choise for the Ex1 or will I need some additional parts?

This looks like a killer setup

http://www.zacuto.com/Sony_EX1_Letus_tripod_1.htm

Robb Cox
March 4th, 2008, 03:44 AM

I think you also need the EX1 optimization kit...

Steve Shovlar
March 4th, 2008, 11:56 AM

Thats the same setup I have and its truly brilliant. Expensive compared to its competition, yes, but worth the extra expense.

Phil Bloom
March 4th, 2008, 02:58 PM
You can buy cheaper versions but in the end you buy the expensive version as the cheaper versions really just don't work very well!

Wasted a lot of money doing that myself!

Piotr Wozniacki
March 4th, 2008, 03:38 PM
Phil, I guess I'm getting ready to think about investing in the Letus Extreme rig for my EX1. I guess I'm not the only one in Europe who is wondering whether it's best to buy it direct (with the duty and VAT charged at the EU customs), or some good reseller (e.g. in the UK) exist... Can you advise?

Jason Bodnar
March 4th, 2008, 05:01 PM
Robb, I did not see any EX1 optimization kit... do you have a link for this?

Steve Cahill
March 4th, 2008, 07:45 PM
Here is the link to buy the EX Optimization
http://www.letusdirect.com/cart/Letus-35-Extreme-p-6.html

Under "Categories"
click on "Letus Accessories "
at the bottom of the page
you will see "Sony EX1 Kit"
The much anticipated optimization kit for the Sony PMW-EX1 XDCAM.
Our price: $349.00

Robb Cox
March 5th, 2008, 06:09 AM
Here is the link to buy the EX Optimization
http://www.letusdirect.com/cart/Letus-35-Extreme-p-6.html

Under "Categories"
click on "Letus Accessories "
at the bottom of the page
you will see "Sony EX1 Kit"
The much anticipated optimization kit for the Sony PMW-EX1 XDCAM.
Our price: $349.00

Or $199 when buying the Letus Extreme.. :)

Piotr Wozniacki
March 5th, 2008, 06:35 AM
I am new to the 35mm adaptors, so please forgive my ignorance. What is the best combination of the "Additional Lens Mount / Lens Mount" option when ordering the Letus35 Extreme Cine Bundle, if I'd like to follow Steve Cahill's advice and use the Zeiss lenses? I guess it should be the Nicon AI Locking, but am unsure about it. Also, when is e.g. the 30+15 cm complete system better than the 45 cm complete system, if I want to keep as simple and lightweigh (and cheap) as possible?

Last but not least: what is the best source (in EU) of the lenses a beginner should start with, and which exactly lense models (e.g. Nikon) would you recommend ?

Phil Bloom
March 5th, 2008, 06:52 AM
30 plus 15 gives you more flexibility.

nikon lenses, second hand are plentiful on ebay. If you are new to 35mm adaptors don't spend a fortune just yet on zeiss lenses. They are great but some of the old nikon lenses are great and very cheap

Piotr Wozniacki
March 5th, 2008, 06:55 AM
30 plus 15 gives you more flexibility.

nikon lenses, second hand are plentiful on ebay. If you are new to 35mm adaptors don't spend a fortune just yet on zeiss lenses. They are great but some of the old nikon lenses are great and very cheap

Thanks Phil; you're right that for a beginner price is an important factor. What specific lense models would you advise to start with?

Phil Bloom
March 5th, 2008, 06:58 AM
as fast as possible...28mm f1.8 50mm f1.4 and 85mm f1.4 are good starting points. Make sure they are all manual focus second hand lenses. All clean optics etc...The old Nikons are actually better made than the new ones. I have a couple of 40 year old lenses which are lovely!

Piotr Wozniacki
March 5th, 2008, 08:21 AM
Phil... forgive my ignorance, but I'm speaking for many people out there who are beginners. I understand what we're looking for is a fast, NOT AF, FIXED ZOOM lens, right? Would this fix the Letus Extreme, then:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Nikon-Nikkor-50mm-f-1-4-Camera-Lense_W0QQitemZ350030786426QQihZ022QQcategoryZ48556QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

There is many of lenses in the offer... G series, D series, AIS... I am lost!

Winston Ashley
March 6th, 2008, 12:42 AM
Phil.
Are you using the Sony EX1 Kit? What does that do exactly?

Robb Cox
March 6th, 2008, 03:24 AM
I bought a Canon FD 50mm f1.4 and a Canon FD 24mm f2 for my Letus Extreme.. Only real reason for Canon was because I come from a stills background and have used Canon my whole life... Also Canon and Nikon focus in opposite directions and Im familiar with the way that Canon focuses...

Piotr Wozniacki
March 6th, 2008, 03:41 AM
... Also Canon and Nikon focus in opposite directions and Im familiar with the way that Canon focuses...

This is actually quite important... Which one focuses in the same direction as the EX1 own lense?

Robb Cox
March 6th, 2008, 04:29 AM
This is actually quite important... Which one focuses in the same direction as the EX1 own lense?

Canon is the same as the EX1...

Phil Bloom
March 6th, 2008, 06:01 AM
the ex1 kit for the extreme makes edge to edge sharpness perfect and almost completes reduces vignetting meaning you can actually zoom out quite wide on the GG

Piotr Wozniacki
March 6th, 2008, 06:07 AM
Phil,

If you have some examples ready, could you please post grabs of the same (or similar) scenes, taken with 28, 50 and 85mm lenses on the Letus Extreme? It'd be of great value to everyone new to 35mm adaptors, trying to make their minds on what to buy...

If you don't have them handy, of course I'm not asking for spending your precious time to prepare them - but perhaps some verbal description of the most typical use of each of them?

... TIA!

Phil Bloom
March 6th, 2008, 06:11 AM
not for some time. This doco is 15 hours a day/ night and wont be back in UK for almost two weeks.

Piotr Wozniacki
March 6th, 2008, 06:21 AM
not for some time. This doco is 15 hours a day/ night and wont be back in UK for almost two weeks.

Sure thing, Phil... But please remember about my kind request when (or if?) you have some time to spare.

Looking forward to some more stuff posted from your current project!

Phil Bloom
March 6th, 2008, 06:22 AM
please remind me and i promise to do it

Piotr Wozniacki
March 6th, 2008, 06:27 AM
Thanks, Phil - never met an outstanding individual like you, still willing to help such naive newbees like myself :)

Robb Cox
March 6th, 2008, 06:35 AM
the ex1 kit for the extreme makes edge to edge sharpness perfect and almost completes reduces vignetting meaning you can actually zoom out quite wide on the GG

Hey Phil, what Z number (approx) can you zoom out to? Still a few weeks to wait for my Letus to be delivered...

Cheers

Steve Cahill
March 6th, 2008, 10:35 AM
I went from 80 to 76 with the fix. I probally could go further but I left a little margin for any falloff NOT to appear.

Piotr Wozniacki
March 8th, 2008, 07:00 AM
Phil,

1. What exactly is the specifics of the PL and/or OCT19 lens mounts, which are much more expensive than the other mounts, and when would I need them?

2. What would be your recommendation on a matte box that could be used with BOTH the Letus system, and direct on the EX1?

Seth Bloombaum
March 8th, 2008, 12:02 PM
1. What exactly is the specifics of the PL and/or OCT19 lens mounts, which are much more expensive than the other mounts, and when would I need them?
PL is a standard mount system for film cameras. Cinematographers may have a selection of PL mount lenses they'd like to use. Note that the RED camera is available with a PL mount. In my neighborhood, shooters will perhaps use the phrase "a set of cine primes", meaning, a set of PL mount lenses in fixed focal lengths.

I'm not so familiar with OCT19, but I believe it is a 35mm film mount originated in Russia or eastern Europe.

So, when you'd need them, of course, is when you have some cine lenses to mount to them.

Piotr Wozniacki
March 12th, 2008, 12:08 PM
OK, so I ordered the Letus Extreme bundle, and with the "Rush delivery" option, too...

I'd like to have at least one good lense ready when it arrives. Being unexperienced, I wouldn't like to take chances by digging on eBay and alike - but buy a brand new Canon FD or Nikon, manual focus, fixed zoom lense.

Please advise which would be most useful for a newbie like me, i.e. most flexible in general application? 50mm? TIA!

Sean Seah
March 13th, 2008, 08:47 AM
50mm is good for focusing on say.. someone's face. 85mm is good for half/full body and 35mm is good for closeups, eg a ring. 135mm would be even better for full body but the price is higher. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Primes are great becuz they can have a good bokeh (background blur in laymen) while keeping the subject sharp. The F stop is critical as the DOF adapter loses some light so the bright the prime lens r, the better. The price is of cse higher. IThe recommended starters kit are:
1. 35mm F1.4 (not sure of the F stop) most exp of the 3
2. 50mm F1.4
3. 85mm F1.8

I have the 50mm only but it is a hell of a diff bet the F1.4 and F1.8. Go straight for the recommendations that others have trail n tested. EX owners r really lucky to have folks like Phil who has spent a lot of time & $$ and willing share his knowledge with us =)

Hope this helps n please correct me if I'm wrong.

Mika Tertsunen
March 13th, 2008, 12:55 PM
50mm is good for focusing on say.. someone's face. 85mm is good for half/full body and 35mm is good for closeups, eg a ring. 135mm would be even better for full body but the price is higher. .

Mmm, would I suggest that the figures are upside down. You need to walk away quite a bit to get a standing person in frame with the 135mm.

Piotr Wozniacki
April 7th, 2008, 03:08 PM
Using the EX1's peaking function, I am focusing the camera on the Letus GG (without a lense attached, of course) - how uniform is the peaking supposed to be with the new achromat, optimized for the EX1? Can anyone post a picture of the peaking in the camera's LCD, perhaps using zoom at Z70, Z75 etc? Because mine is not uniform at all; I'd like to compare with what others are getting.

Also, a Letus newbie question on some practical aspects of its use with the EX1: once focussed on the GG, do you leave your EX1 in fully manual zoom and put some tape on the ring to fix it, or do you leave the servo engaged so that it's not accidentally bumped thus loosing the gg focus?

Kaya Hacaloglu
April 7th, 2008, 03:48 PM
Hello,

I have just ordered the letus bundle along with rods and a Canon adapter. My brother owns about four Canon lenses, 2 - 35mm, 1 50mm and 1 zoom lens..Saves me from buying new lenses and will help my learning curve as I will be experimenting with DOF.

I'm confused, what is exacly the Zacuto support, which also bundles with the Letus Extreme ? I'm not sure if I was in need of this one, or will the system that comes alongside with the Letus do allright? I use an old VX2000, DVX100a and am looking forward for the EX1 in the near future.

Regards

Kaya

Steve Cahill
April 7th, 2008, 05:58 PM
I never have gotten peaking across the entire field of view with the LetusEX.

Focus on the ground glass w/o the lens attached and Sony lens zoomed, using the expanded focus mode as well should get you critical focus. Try focusing not just on the center of the GG but a 1/3 of the way in on the GG either right or left. One thing that is most important is that the LetusEX mount is secured to the Sony's threads, tighten the allen screws that attach to the letus .

Make sure that the Nikon mount is secure as well. When you re-attach the lens makes sure things do not move again this includes lens changes as well. Tape down the camera's focus, retest the focus again with the lens attached to the Letus and use the expanded focus again with the lens wide open, re-check focus. The new Nikon mount I got the screws losened-up on the mounting flange and I had some issues as well until I locktite the screws.

I recently discovered one of the allen screws on the adpater to the Sony Lens was not making contact, so the whole Letus EX had a bit of play with the camera and I only discovered it when I pushed the Letus power button on, the whole unit moved forward ever so slightly (thickness of a piece of paper) and got out of focus, even with the Zacuto rail system. So there is room for errors, so beware. Getting the focus set and secured should be checked through out the shoot and with lens changes.

There are challenges with using this setup, and until you flush them out, then you can get the results you expect.

Piotr Wozniacki
April 8th, 2008, 01:15 AM
Thanks Steve for the hints.

I also have one more question, very naive one - please bear with me:) I never had to do with manual lenses before, and I'm surprized none of my 3 Canon FD lenses (28, 50 and 85mm) is able to focus at infinity when full open. I guess it's related to the limited DOF (and I'm talking full open iris), but just wanted to make sure it's normal.

The back focus adjustment procedure for the Letus (described on the flyer attached) is about focussing with short distances; also when trying to pull out the lense mount ring from the Letus, the infinity focus gets even softer.

Again - is it normal?

Sean Donnelly
April 8th, 2008, 04:43 AM
Doesn't sound like it. Back focus problems are most easily seen with a wide lens focused at infinity with the aperture open. That is when the depth of focus (the area behind the lens that is sharp) is shallowest. If you can't get infinity to be sharp with a 28mm, your flange depth is off. Sounds like it probably isn't much, but I bet if you focus on an object at a medium distance (10-15 feet) the lens markings would not match.

-Sean

Piotr Wozniacki
April 8th, 2008, 04:58 AM
Doesn't sound like it. Back focus problems are most easily seen with a wide lens focused at infinity with the aperture open. That is when the depth of focus (the area behind the lens that is sharp) is shallowest. If you can't get infinity to be sharp with a 28mm, your flange depth is off. Sounds like it probably isn't much, but I bet if you focus on an object at a medium distance (10-15 feet) the lens markings would not match.

-Sean

With the iris max open, I cannot get infinity focus with either of my lenses - not jus the widest (28mm). Closing iris to some 5.6-8 makes it possible to focus at infinity. So, is the problem with all 3 lenses (less probable), or the Letus? How do I adjust this (the lens mount ring is all the way in; pulling it out makes focussing at infinity even worse).

Sami Sanpakkila
April 8th, 2008, 07:53 AM
I think this might be a problem Philip Bloom mentioned some time ago. Im just guessing though!! If it is you have to move the GG a couple mm forward or backward. But Philip can chime in if Im totally out of limb here!

Phil Bloom
April 8th, 2008, 07:54 AM
replied to this on my thread. It's a ground glass position issue. It's tricky to fix but doable

Instruction are on the Letusdirect site

Piotr Wozniacki
April 8th, 2008, 08:05 AM
Philip just confirmed in the other thread my Letus has backfocus problem :(

So, it seems I wasn't as lucky with my Letus, as I was with my EX1 - with:

- the achromat chipped off
- the gg rectangle not level (twisted some 10deg in the viewfinder when on rails)
- the noise and vibration higher than on most other units (it seems)
- now, with backfocus problem

If I were not located in Europe, I'd be sending it back today - but with all the hassle, customs etc. I really don't know what to do... It can produce nice images, in spite of the flaws! Below's my setup (on the right; taken with my mobile), and the nice bokeh I got in my very first trial shots after some lenses arrived from eBay... At last, no need to shoot from miles away, in order to pull the subject off the background:)

Phil Bloom
April 8th, 2008, 08:06 AM
my achromat is chipped, my backfocus was out. The achromat is fine, the backfocus is easily sorted. Don't worry, it's worth it in the end!

Steve Cahill
April 8th, 2008, 09:33 AM
Does your letus motor shaft have a dap of hot glue on it? My did and it came off and I believe I am getting less artifact and sky issues when shooting a plain background like the sky. See my blog with pics showing the hot glue.

Never got a proper response about why the hot glue is on the motor shaft for balancing, and how that is calibrated.

The extra noise may be because of the extra weight on the end of the motor shaft, also check to see if any thing is loose, make sure those allens screws are locked down! With the absence of the glue on the motor shaft the unit is more quiet but still it make a buz- vibration sound which is normal.

Instructions from Letus site for adjusting back focus:

1) Remove the front tube
2) You will see the plastic ground glass holder. Using a ruler or calipers, carefully measure from the back of this black plastic to the surface of the adapter behind it. It should be 7.5 mm all around.
3) If you find this distance is off, very gently push / pull the 3 metal stand offs holding the ground glass holder in or out to achieve a distance of 7.5mm all the way around.
4) If you are already at 7.5mm and your focus is still off, then adjust each of these to be slight less or slightly more all the way around.
5) If you cannot achieve focus at infinity at all, then you will want to pull the stand off posts out very, very slightly more than 7.5mm
6) If infinity focus is hitting before you reach the infinity mark on your lens, then you will want to push the stand off posts in very, very slightly to be less than 7.5mm.

Piotr Wozniacki
April 8th, 2008, 10:20 AM
Frankly, I don't know if having paid that much money, I'm supposed to even dismantle the adapter - usually, my warranty would be void if I did! I expected a high precision, high quality device; what we're getting is more like a home-made toy.... I read the thread on the GG plane adjustment for back focus in the forum on LetusDirect site; how can adjustment like this be left to a trial&error, pushing/pulling method!!! This device is supposed to work with HD cameras like the EX1, and should be equally precise.

Here is a sample showing both:

- the softness of tele (couldn't get the fence and trees in the background any sharper with either of my 3 lenses)

- the motor rattle (yes - apart from the low freq hum from vibration, I'm getting now intermittent high freq rattle which comes and goes).

Doh!

Steve Cahill
April 8th, 2008, 12:10 PM
I used calipters to make the adjustments at each of the post and in-between, as well. Set the Calipters at the correct distance 7.5mm and lock them and just gently put the calipters under the GG metal plate and make sure it is square when you get the calipters into position, repeat this at each mounting post and in between 2x. This is also a good opp to clean the adpater, I now use compress air to do so, more robust than the rocket blower.

You thought you paid a lot did you? Well welcome to the wonderful world of video production.

These companies that make these adapter are home grown, with a very few exceptions. Did you not do your home work and read the user groups with the challanges we have been faced with? Phil Bloom has great footage but also great info about his experience with adapters, that details his experience. Check out my blog where I took the Letus apart and made some discoveries. Unless you are buying a name brand Sony, Panasonic, Red then yes these adapters are home grown, with clever people bringing to market from their garage, products that fit a price and performance that may or may not be suitable for your use.

I to have been disappointed with the quality of the build of these adapters, but they have been affordable and useable, but they come with their own challenges and hopefully you can study the users groups and learn what others have learned and get up to speed right away. The adapter does not come with a detailed instruction manual and how to adjust FAQ. One thing I find fault with all the companies.

Hopefully the companies that make this first generation of adapters will listen to the users and improve the products for the next generation that they make.

This has been a interesting experience into the world of DOF which has opened many doors and which has been pretty unreachable with video cameras . Call it a curse or a blessing, but you have the power to turn it on or off now.