View Full Version : Howdy from Austin, Texas

Pages : [1] 2

Jennifer Marine
October 7th, 2001, 02:00 PM
Greetings from Austin, Texas!

I came to the XL1 in sort of a roundabout way---while working on a novel, I ended up converting the novel into a screenplay. While working on the screenplay, the DV world was exploding around me and I thought, why don't I try to make this myself, as a bare bones, low-tech movie?

Plunging into potential camera choices was overwhelming. The Watchdog site helped me make my decision: an XL1 it was. Never mind the fact that I had no prior experience shooting, other than home videos, where the same shot stretched into 45 seconds (gee, I guess nothing interesting's happening. Maybe I should film something else.) For some crazy reason, the idea above seemed feasible. Now I see how completely deluded I was. Ah well, live and learn...)

A year and a half later, I have found myself teaching *children* how to make movies. Last year I worked on a movie for 65 hours with my daughter's fourth grade class. We colloborated on the storyline, storyboarded every shot, and they each took turns filming. Long story short: the story was magnificent; surprisingly complex and engaging. The acting was great, the images were beautiful, (despite filming everything on the automatic setting.) And the sound sucked.

So now I'm trying to REALLY figure out this camera. I'm working on a second movie, and we'd like to do the story justice technologically. ESP. sound-wise. It's no fun having to sit close to the ear of someone in the audience so you can interpret dialogue... :-)

I'm so relieved to have found this site -- it already looks like an incredible resource.

Thanks to Chris Hurd for putting it together!

Looking forward to it,
Jennifer M.

Vinh Bui
May 3rd, 2003, 03:40 PM
Hiya!

Wondering if there are any XL1 experts in Austin, Texas willing to do a 1-on-1 workshop with a newbie eager to learn. Compensatation for time and expertise of course. Email me if you're interest.

Vinh.
buiv1@yahoo.com

Roze Ann
May 7th, 2003, 12:18 PM
Hi...a good friend of mine lives there and runs her own biz. Contact Ramona Finos at www.momentousvideo.com She has an XL1 and would help you I'm sure. Let me know how it goes. Ramona is a good egg.

Chris Hurd
May 8th, 2003, 11:53 PM
Also contact Kevin Triplett at www.mopacmedia.com. If he isn't up for doing a training class, he'll know who you can help you.

Vinh Bui
May 9th, 2003, 07:18 AM
Thanks for the replies! I'll check them out.

Kevin Triplett
May 9th, 2003, 08:16 AM
Thanks for the recommendation, Chris! I know Ramona well, she's an event videographer and yes, she's a good egg. I also recommend contacting Mike Nicholson (mike@pictureboxproductions.com) (512) 467-7298 -- Mike is the cinematographer on my BLAZE FOLEY documentary (shameless plug alert!) and has shot a bunch of narrative fiction shorts, interviews, corporate videos and television commercials. He's also a graduate of the "Jim Eastburn" school for the XL1 and operates both an XL1 and XL1s (sometimes at the same time!).

Michael Morlan
May 17th, 2003, 09:53 PM
Hello everyone,

I'd recently joined this BB and have been participating on other lists. I just noticed this category and thought I should introduce myself. I'm going to borrow shamelessly from a bio I wrote for a recent presentation on pre-production to a local DV group.

"I'm a jack of all trades and master at none. In my haphazard career path, I have been: a recording studio engineer; theme park audio/visual engineer; database programmer; architectural modeler; writer, director, and animator for computer games; animated short writer/director; and some-time narrative film maker. I currently pay the bills as a senior artist and project manager for a Lord of the Rings based game project for Universal Interactive. If life were perfect, I would be working in narrative film full time."

Blah, blah blah. :-) All right. Seriously, ain't the Internet grand? It's so cool to be able to turn to a virtual community of like-minded and talented artists and technicians, and be able to both learn from and offer insights to others.

Let's see... I got a GY-DV500 and XL-1 along with a bit of lighting, grip, and a nice field audio setup... and I haven't gotten to do jack with it in the last three months!

A script! A script! My services for a script!

Actually, I've got three short scripts in the works (one meant for animation) and am always looking to collaborate with talented writers.

The last project I worked on was DP'ing for one of the teams in the Austin 48-hour Film Project. That was just a gas -- especially since our team got Film Noir as our genre. I love shadows! Give me black any time -- the easier to hide cheap production values!

Hope to learn (and to teach) many things here.

Michael

John Locke
May 17th, 2003, 11:00 PM
Glad to have another Austinite aboard, Michael. Austin is still officially my hometown, even though I've been living overseas for awhile.

Your videography link on your site looks very interesting. Keep us posted as you add things.

See you on the boards... and have margarita at Baby A's for me sometime (if it's still there).

Rob Lohman
May 20th, 2003, 03:01 PM
Welcome aboard Michael! Good to have you with us. It looks like
you have done a lot indeed. I like those people! A virtual community
is indeed great and I hope you will find this one to your pleasing.

See you around!

Michael Morlan
May 22nd, 2003, 09:12 PM
Thanks guys. John. I didn't go by Baby Acapulco, but I did have a margarita at Trudy's Northstar for ya.

John Locke
May 22nd, 2003, 09:48 PM
Trudy's'll do. Thanks!

James Nyfeler
November 23rd, 2003, 05:22 PM
Hi everyone.

I live in the great state of Texas, and have spent the majority of my career (about the past 20 years) doing things that I don't really like, but making a lot of money. I think it may be time for a career change, and for the past year or so I've gotten very interested in Digital Video. I don't need to make any money right away, but I hope to do so eventually. Right now, I'd be happy just playing any role at all in any phase of film production. Even if it is loading / unloading equipment, I figure I'd get the opportunity to ask some questions, and there is only so much you can learn from reading a book. I've read about 5-6 books on digital video, and I'm ready to work on some aspect of a real project. I am no stranger to hard work.

I've got a little 1 CCD consumer camera that I've been playing with, but I hope to move up to an XL1s in the not too distant future. In addition, I have: 2.4GHz Pentium, 512MB memory, ATI Radeon video card, external TV monitor, 3 500W softbox lights, and a fluid head tripod. My NLE is Vegas Video. I was attracted to it for its cult following that it seems to have.

To date, I've produced 5-6 videos, primarily highlights of sporting events, but each one that I've shown to groups elicits rave reviews. Everyone has told me "why don't you do that for a living?" That tells me they are either:
A. Being truthful, giving an honest assessment, and helping me make a career decision,
B. Embarrassed by the quality, and they don't know what else to say,
C. Don't know any better, or
D. Horribly intoxicated.

I like to think that it is "A", but we'll see. One thing that I have found in my research is that I don't even know how much I don't know at this point, but I do know that I'm at the tip of the iceberg.

I have been offered a gig to do a wedding, but I turned it down as I don't have the equipment (and I didn't think I would be able to learn it in the necessary timeframe), plus weddings just don't interest me.

I have some ideas for some documentaries, but everything I have right now is in the early planning stages. It is interesting to watch my friends as I go through this change -- my creative friends are encouraging me, and my friends from previous career are saying "what, are you nuts?" I figure life is too short going through doing things you don't enjoy.

Anyone in Austin know where I can start to get involved in the video community? Thanks.

J. Clayton Stansberry
November 23rd, 2003, 08:39 PM
Welcome James!

Austin has a big community for DV. Alamo Drafthouse does contests and such, and there's the Austin Film Festival and several other contests, etc. If you don't have enough equipment there are lots of places to rent. Kevin at Mopac Media is a great guy and an invaluable source of information. Jump right in and shoot every chance you get. I am just getting started and have found out that there is more information out there than I ever dreamed. I am doing my best to learn as much as possible. It sounds like you are doing the same. You might try just doing it on the side to get started instead of quitting your job just yet. See what it yeilds! I work everyday so I can do video on the side. Good Luck to you and keep us posted...

Clay

James Nyfeler
November 24th, 2003, 05:26 AM
Thanks for the comments. Right now, I'm between jobs, so the question is: do I do what I did before, or branch out and do something that I want to do. If I do what I did before, I have found that there is very little time left for anything on the side. However, that is probably the most sensible option.

Rob Lohman
November 24th, 2003, 01:51 PM
Welcome James! You've probably hit the nail on its head. The
toughest question. Should I do what I love or do the other thing
and make money and not have much time for the other thing.

I don't think there is a clear answer to that. It all depends on
your situation, family, other incomes etc. etc. Difficult it is,
nontheless.

I wish you luck with your decision!

Martin Garrison
November 24th, 2003, 11:27 PM
James,

There are many great resources here in Austin. ACAC and AMN are two you should check out. ACAC offers training and access to excellent gear. AMN offers a great place to display your work if you have any friends who would want a music video.

If you are more interested in dv/film making, there are organizations that can be great resources for that also.

Shoot me an email, I'd be happy to meet you for lunch sometime.

Martin

Dick Steele
August 18th, 2004, 10:30 AM
Hi all,

I am moving to Austin Texas next weeks and would love to meet up with folks to work on shorts and other projects. I am moving from an area of the state that lacks any and all forms of film and look forward to being in a community of like minded folk. If anyone would like to meet over a beer at lovejoy's or perhaps the G&S or anywhere else, that would be great.

Dick Steele
806-441-4663
m.richard.steele@rareseedpictures.com

Lon Breedlove
September 22nd, 2005, 05:06 PM
I was just curious about the filmmaking life in Texas, specifically Austin. If you live in another city, please still feel free to let me know. Thanks in advance.

Chris Hurd
September 22nd, 2005, 05:25 PM
Austin is a production hotbed. Always lots going on. I earned my degree at UT, loved every minute of going to school there. Will try to get you some links shortly.

Mark Callahan
September 29th, 2005, 07:16 PM
I'd love to hear all about Austin Chris. I'm looking to move down there next summer and do film production (or anything, just want to get there). I've heard the market is slow there, but nothing beats the actual beat on the street.

Ed Szarleta
October 3rd, 2005, 08:39 AM
Would love to hear about the city also. Not all about the production side of things, but the general quality of life down there. Will be visiting soon with my wife to check it out, hopefully setting up a move for late next year. I have three young ones and I hear it's a great place to raise a family.

The Film production opportunities would be a bonus, but I am an engineer in the computing business, so that's where I will be making my money. Jobs seem plentifull for that down there.

Really just wanted to get some people's impression of the area as a whole.

Thanks!

Jesse Redman
April 26th, 2006, 10:24 PM
I just looked up "Austin" and almost all of the hits about vids in Austin were a couple of years old. I'm sure there are a lot more Austin members out there now. I just wanted to revive the thread to see if we could exchange info about the climate in Austin.

Wondering if there is any interest in forming an Austin based association of some sort or if there is one already in existence.

I live in Cedar Park, work under contract to a major corp. I use an XL2 and Vegas.

I have previously worked as a musician, audio engineer, photographer, marketing manager, regional sales manager. I have a Cubase/Tascam FW-1082 Multi-Track recording setup.

I've worked as some version of "media" professional, off and on, for more than 30 years.

Web site: www.AdvancedMediaLab.com

- Jesse Redman

Jesse Redman
May 1st, 2006, 06:00 PM
I was hoping to get responses from other videographers in the Austin area that visit DVi.
- Jesse

Chris Hurd
May 1st, 2006, 07:43 PM
Well, I'm thereabouts... south of Austin closer to San Marcos.

I'm up there whenever I get a hankerin' for some great live music. Continental Club is one of the great "still standing" joints that hasn't changed all that much... but I really miss the old Liberty Lunch.

Daniel Bates
May 1st, 2006, 08:44 PM
I'm in Austin as well. I work for a local church (video post-production, live camera, that sort of thing) on a volunteer basis. . . we use the Canon XL-1.

Craig Chartier
May 1st, 2006, 10:16 PM
I work and live, in Austin.

Donald White
May 2nd, 2006, 07:14 AM
I live in Austin and work as an accounting manager for a local non-profit. Video is a hobby - I have an older Sony ccd-vx1000 and Adobe Premiere. Would love to upgrade to a Canon xl h1.

Don

Jesse Redman
August 1st, 2006, 11:36 AM
Does anyone know of a networking association in the Austin area for videographers, and/or associated audio, lighting and editing groups?

Craig Chartier
August 1st, 2006, 12:54 PM
Have you tried the Austin Film Society? they are a non-profit group that also supports other groups in the area. I am a member.

Jesse Redman
August 9th, 2006, 10:02 AM
I have seen a couple of posts from Austin recently and wanted to revive this thread.

Hopefully, those of us around Austin can network and possibly help each other out.

I'm available as a 1st or 2nd camera (XL2), for FX, editor, sound or lighting.

Shedrick Mask
August 9th, 2006, 02:21 PM
Not quite Austin but an hour away, Waco here

Bob Cetti
August 9th, 2006, 06:05 PM
I plan on coming to Austin in September to check out the scene and decide if I would like to settle there. I do a lot of Macintosh audio recording and engineering as well as shooting (Canon XL1) and editing in Final Cut.

What are some of the things I should check out while there?

If you were moving to Austin what part of the metro area has the most potential (or is convenient for) media (video, audio, music) work?

Thanks,

Jesse Redman
August 10th, 2006, 08:21 AM
Bob,

Check out the Austin Film Society: http://www.austinfilm.org/

The City and the State promote the "film" industry and there is typically a major feature in production somewhere close by, usually at Austin Studios, which is supported by the Austin Film Society and the City.

Also Austin is the "Live Music Capital" and there truly is a very active live music scene, as well as a very active recording scene in Austin. The center of the club scene is 6th street but there are venues all over.

Most Texans would like to live in Austin. There's plenty of water recreation (boating and lakes). There are several views, like Mount Bonnell, the Oasis (a restaurant, bar on Lake Travis, and lots of other lake side restaurants, most with live music. There are several universities here, with the University of Texas having the largest student body of any university in the US.

Austin is a high-tech center with lots of startups and major corporations. It is also easy, two to three hour drive, to get to Dallas, Houston or San Antonio.

I live in a suburb. Austin is small enough (compared to Dallas, Houston or San Antonio) that your location should not be a factor in your pursuit of business. Having said that, the more central you are the easier it is to access everything.

The owner of this forum (Chris Hurd) lives in San Marcos, which is just a very few miles down I35.

Bob Cetti
August 11th, 2006, 05:27 PM
Thanks Jesse for the link and information. I'm impressed by the activities and film faciities that Austin has developed. I'm sure it will be an interesting visit.

Kevin Haberer
August 11th, 2006, 08:26 PM
Hi People,

I am in Austin and run an independent film company...don't we all. I am gearing up to do a no budget feature at the end of the month into September a little and I am looking for some great deals on equipment. I own a DVX100a and a Canon XL-H1(we are shooting the film in hdv on the latter) and I am trying to find a few things - not through a rental house - as I am trying to cut all corners possible and they tend to be expensive unless they know you. Would anyone be willing to part with a 4x4 matt box for the canon xlh1, a monitor, a hand held monitor, any "indie light kit", or any kind of dolly for the last two weeks in August and a few days in September? Throw some prices/suggestions/contacts my way. I am also looking for people who would like to come on board in some capacity for deferred. I know most people do not like this so I won't be offended if you tear into my post but we are just trying to put all the little amount of money we have into the equipment...and it is only a little.

We already have some indie lighting and a sound kit but we are looking to supplement this with some other items.

Jim OQuinn
August 17th, 2006, 10:59 AM
Ole Jim here is in the ATX.

(edit: Jonestown to be exact).

Jesse Redman
September 6th, 2006, 10:59 AM
Anyone in the Austin area interested in a casual get together to network, talk about the trade and discuss film, video, etc. in the area?

Jim OQuinn
September 10th, 2006, 07:40 AM
Anyone in the Austin area interested in a casual get together to network, talk about the trade and discuss film, video, etc. in the area?

Count me in.

Jesse Redman
September 11th, 2006, 03:15 PM
Jim,

It's you and me, so far.

Anyone else interested in starting up a mutual interest group?

OR is there one already meeting?

Donald White
September 11th, 2006, 03:36 PM
Count me in for getting together.

have a lot of interest to offer, but not much experience.

Don

Jim OQuinn
September 12th, 2006, 01:31 PM
The Austin Network Mixer meets on the 2nd and last Wednesday of each month at Mother Egan's Irish Pub.

I'll be there tomorrow (Sept 13th).

The Texas Association of Film/Tape Professionals has teamed up with Screen Door Film to present an all industy networking and entertainment event. Speakers there will include Rebecca Campbell of the Austin Film Society, Bob Hudgins the Texas Film Commissioner, and Chuck Hatcher (TAF/TP President)

Jim

---------------------------------------------------------

This is from the Aug 30th meeting:

Dear Film Fans,
The next meeting of The Network Austin Mixer is on August 30, 2006 at 6:30 PM. We look forward to your attendance. Tell your clients and associates.

WHAT: The Network Austin Mixer
WHEN: Wednesday August 30 from 6:30 PM – Till Late
WHERE: Mother Egan’s Irish Pub – 715 West 6th St. Austin, TX
WHO: Everyone involved in film… and YOU!
SPEAKER: Bob Hudgins, Director of the Texas Film Commission at 7 PM

Before joining the Texas Film Commission as director in December 2005, Bob Hudgins was Deputy Director of the Illinois Film Office for eight years. Projects that he helped bring to Illinois include ROAD TO PERDITION, SPIDERMAN 2, BATMAN BEGINS and the Fox TV series PRISON BREAK. From 1985 to 1998, he was a freelance film location manager on projects including FIELD OF DREAMS, PLANES, TRAINS AND AUTOMOBILES, MICHAEL (filmed in central Texas), WAYNE’S WORLD, RUDY, and GROUNDHOG DAY. As the director of the Texas Film Commission, Bob is using his years of experience and his extensive network of industry contacts to increase film and television production in all parts of Texas. This year, Bob has been pleased to welcome a number of major projects to Texas, including Season Two of PRISON BREAK, the new NBC series FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS and an untitled feature from director Kimberley Peirce, her first in Texas since the Academy Award-winning BOYS DON’T CRY.

The Network Austin Mixer meets on the second and last Wednesdays of the month. This is a great networking opportunity. Meet actors, writers, filmmakers, producers, agents, directors, crew members, everyone involved in film. At least once a month we have speakers who have made their mark in the industry. So mark your calendar, join us and bring friends!

Gary L. Wimmer for The Network Austin Mixer
http://www.garywimmer.com/

Kris Galuska
October 6th, 2006, 04:41 PM
Don’t know if this is the right place to post this.

Is anyone else going to the Austin Film Festival? Any good tips for a first timer?

-Kris

Craig Chartier
October 6th, 2006, 09:54 PM
have fun, stop by the Austin Film Society offices ath the austin Studios, and stop By GEAR rental house and say hi. that where I work

Kris Galuska
October 18th, 2006, 05:16 PM
Where is Gear located?

Rob Lohman
October 18th, 2006, 06:24 PM
First hit on "gear rental" (nice one Craig!) gave:

4822 East Cesar Chavez St. Austin, TX 78702

Kevin Wild
October 19th, 2006, 12:34 AM
This is my first year not going in a few. I actually work (and go) the festival usually, but can't make it back to Austin this year to help out.

My advice? Have fun and go to as many of the seminars you can. Be sure to sign up for the "roundtables" as soon as possible...when you register. Very cool thing where they have people talk with you at a table and then switch every 10 minutes or so. Nice one on one time with some good people. I met Paul Weitz (About a Boy, In Good Company, American Pie) that way...

Also, be sure to hang around the Driskel bar in the evening. This is where everyone goes after all the movies are done.

KW

Kris Galuska
October 23rd, 2006, 09:05 PM
Just got back, great festival. Everyone needs to see the movie "Special" if they have a chance. In my opinion it was the best movie of the festival.

Here is the link to the movie site.

http://www.specialthemovie.com/

Sean McCormick
October 24th, 2007, 09:01 AM
Hi all,

My name's Sean McCormick, I'm a long-time lurker-turned-member of this terrific resource. I hail from Austin, TX.

I'm currently a multimedia producer at a large textbook publisher and a freelance voiceover talent/producer. I'm also a drummer for a busy regional variety band.

I recently acquired Canon's HG10 and I've been enjoying puzzling through the new workflow issues.

I'm looking forward to sharing info with everyone here!

Take care,

Sean

seanmccormick.biz

Chris Hurd
October 24th, 2007, 09:12 AM
Howdy Sean, welcome aboard. Lots of other CenTex / Austintonio folks on this site, but you probably knew that already. Nice to have you with us -- thanks for posting,

Sean McCormick
October 25th, 2007, 12:42 AM
Thanks, Chris! Pleased to meet you. I appreciate your efforts on this site and I'm glad to be just down the road!

Sean