View Full Version : Wild Boar`s dining-table - Live feed

Frank Hool
January 27th, 2008, 03:55 PM
Hello from long ago! Do You remember Black Stork project? -> http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=95909 . It is suspended while heroes are in egyptland in the vacation. But it will continue hopefully in april this year.

But upcoming is wintertime daughter of Stork project. So here it is: mms://video.eenet.ee/siga

I'll give You all possible details later. But go on comment and ask if something bothers.

Bob Thompson
January 27th, 2008, 05:29 PM
Frank,

They must be using a new camera as the shot is very sharp, but all I can see is some pig's s***.

My question is how are they lighting the area ? I can see that there are 2 shadows on the ground from the large tree but will this amount of light disturb the pig

Bob

Frank Hool
January 28th, 2008, 02:28 PM
They must be using a new camera as the shot is very sharp, but all I can see is some pig's s***.
Hello Bob, oh yeah, You're right. I have only once seize them. And it was about 16.00-18.00 GMT. But it will shift to earlier time slowly. Because of beginning spring. I hope we'll publish some recordings of their presence there with time on the picture.... this would help catch them.

My question is how are they lighting the area ? I can see that there are 2 shadows on the ground from the large tree but will this amount of light disturb the pig
Pigs do not care about artificial light and they don't care about most weirdest things which are located hihger than meter of their eye level. So told me wild animal expert.

But lights are located as follows: if You'd look down at area from the top and the camera is on the 6 oclock then key light is around 10-11(where normally is background) and fill light is somewhere around 4 oclock. Key differs from fill only by it's reflector and its a bit closer. So key gives a bit more intensive spot and shaddows. Fill works as shaddow killer.

This technique of lighting is very often used by wild shootings.

About the bulbs we use there... i have to verify that information: what was exact model of those bulbs but can You imagine its 250W per piece. So we lighted up this scene with only 500W!!!

Frank Hool
January 29th, 2008, 08:04 AM
mms://video.eenet.ee/arhiiv/2008-01-28.asf
this is recording. Time is in the picture. Our local time setting is GMT +2.

Jesse James
January 31st, 2008, 03:33 AM
Kewl!! Haven't seen any hogs yet but will keep checking.

Frank Hool
January 31st, 2008, 04:26 PM
tonight is insane!!! they run nonstop feast already five hours.... if therer is anybody able to check it right now ...just do so.

Annie Haycock
January 31st, 2008, 04:41 PM
Hey - that's pretty impressive!

David Watkins
February 1st, 2008, 09:44 AM
watched this a couple of times today - nuthin!!

I like it but it's like waiting for the announcement of an AWOL Competition theme !!

Anyway what the approx cost of setting something like this up?

David Watkins
February 4th, 2008, 02:40 PM
Yahoo - saw something eating there, I think it was a beaver, seemed to have a flat wide tail, must have been a beaver? Anyone confirm that at 20:17 GMT 3rd Feb.

Where is this webcam?

David Watkins
February 4th, 2008, 03:01 PM
back again...maybe not beaver...maybe porcupine....?

looks like a large dumpy rodent of some sort....

help me out here

Annie Haycock
February 4th, 2008, 03:02 PM
I think it's in Estonia - follow the link in the first post of the thread.

I can't quite make out what the animal is there at the moment, but it doesn't look like a beaver.

Just had an idea, and checked my mammal book. I think it could be a raccoon-dog. It was introduced to the European part of the old USSR from further east, and has spread to Finland, Poland and a lot of eastern Europe, and even into parts of France via Germany.

David Watkins
February 4th, 2008, 03:06 PM
hi

It must be porcupine..I'm sure it occurs in E Europe..doesn't look like a carnivore....fascinating...

David Watkins
February 4th, 2008, 03:07 PM
raccoon dog... you are probably right..Haha!..can I count this a a mammal lifer?

David Watkins
February 4th, 2008, 03:17 PM
yep...I reckon Annie's right...Raccoon Dog ...porcupine is more southerly in Europe.... I tried whistling thinking it might move nearer attracted by the noise but that didnt work.....

might be a good record, I'm sure our resident expert will advise in due course

Annie Haycock
February 4th, 2008, 03:29 PM
Donn't know about counting it as a lifer, more like a TV tick - if you're into that sort of thing. But there is something satisfying about seeing it and identifying it for yourself, even if it isn't in the flesh. A bit like seeing my first kentish plover on a Welsh wildlife program - I couldn't understand the commentary, so it was definitely my identification.

David Watkins
February 4th, 2008, 03:45 PM
No I'm not a twitcher ( did you see the crowds going after the WC Sparrow, made me cringe, couldnt do that and I've been birding most of my life, leave it guys, go and see them in the States, it's more fun ) but yes it's fun seeing stuff on the telly, frustrates me when you see a shot of flamingos on the salt pans in Africa and there are loads of waders amongst them but you never get a decent view, forget the flamingos, see them so many times, lets see the good stuff!!!

Anyway I'm off for a beer, with my Raccoon Dog telly-tick!

Frank Hool
February 5th, 2008, 01:08 PM
... back to technical:
1. Lights
We use two lamps positsioned as i described earlier, they have usual halogen outdoor housing: http://www.acg.cc/productsimg/1169100452230.jpg
and bulbs: http://english.alter.ee/?vars=page|section|id&values=product|9|LAX403

2. Capturing device
MX-M22M-Sec. So it should be the same camera as last time by the Storks nest. But changed is censor. Mobotix also have pressrelease about the subject: http://www.mobotix.com/other/company/news/recent_news#ID17472

Annie Haycock
February 5th, 2008, 05:09 PM
[QUOTE=David Watkins;820112]No I'm not a twitcher ( did you see the crowds going after the WC Sparrow,

My husband said this evening, "If the WC sparrow is still there we'll have to go and see it" - oh dear, if it's there I won't have much choice!

We don't have any itinerary for Norfolk, but if you see a couple of people wandering around loaded down with camera gear that includes a Canon A1, it's probably us.

David Watkins
February 6th, 2008, 03:36 AM
I'll be filming in Norfolk next week ( w/c 11th ) let me know how you get on Annie. We've booked a 4hr sea trip out of Wells, I'm hoping to get some seabirds of some sort up close, some auks, ducks, etc while the lads fish.

I'll be trying to keep away from the Sparrow though, love birdwatchers, hate crowds

David Watkins
February 6th, 2008, 11:30 AM
theres a raccoon dog there now at the back of the floods, dead centre

David Watkins
February 6th, 2008, 02:47 PM
wild boar there now if anyone around

David Watkins
February 6th, 2008, 03:15 PM
I keep dipping into this and it's quite fascinating, a lot of wild boar activity at the moment, but the image keeps freezing, could this be something to do with my computer settings, it distracts a bit from watching them interacting, they clearly have a heirarchy,

are these real wild boar or reintroductions, and what was the intention of having the camera set up?

Anyway I like it, anyone know of any other wildlife webcams on the go at the moment?

Bob Thompson
February 7th, 2008, 03:45 PM
Frank,

Maybe worth checking the old stork nest as I have heard that the storks are arriving back early this year, particularly around Lake Constance in South Germany.

Bob

Frank Hool
February 10th, 2008, 03:30 PM
Tooni(the male stork) has a radiotransmitter. So we start when he is around Mediterrain Sea. At the moment he still in Egipt.

Frank Hool
February 13th, 2008, 02:06 AM
mms://video.eenet.ee/arhiiv/2008-02-10.asf

Frank Hool
February 20th, 2008, 02:17 AM
we reached to 1000000 view. most concurrent views record is about 2000.
And top outgoing traffic is 1Gbps(this is actually limited by interface).

Frank Hool
December 24th, 2008, 05:04 AM
so we're tested it about few weeks with new equipment. And now it seems to be right moment to go public.
The place will be usually crowded around 5.00PM(GMT) with wild boars but You can find there lots of other guys even in daytime.

So right to the livefeed: livefeed (mms://tv.eenet.ee/siga)
some articles in english: looduskalender.ee (http://www.looduskalender.ee/en)
article in estonian with drawing how the link from woods to viewer generally works(click on the drawing): Kernel - Metssea TV (http://www.kernel.ee/est/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=40&Itemid=43)

Merry Christmas!

Bob Thompson
December 30th, 2008, 04:13 AM
Frank,

I have only been able to catch one boar but have seen raptors eating off the table on the right of picture. Any idea what birds you are getting.

The quality of the picture & sound coming out of the forest is incredible.

Will you be having a live feed of the stork nest again this year?

Happy New Year to you and the team putting out this live feed

Bob

Brendan Marnell
December 31st, 2008, 04:41 AM
Food delivery just now by human + 2 buckets: soft meaty stuff to table; chunks of veg & stale bread scattered around clearing ... very interesting ... only jays and linnets/twite so far but more to come no doubt ...

Thanks for the link Frank

5 mins later same human + buckets scattering food pellets widely and seeds/nuts in 15 small piles ...

Bob Thompson
December 31st, 2008, 09:07 AM
Brendan, They are now out for their New Years Eve dinner

Bob

PS: They seem to lack table manners, as they are very noisy eaters

Brendan Marnell
December 31st, 2008, 09:27 AM
Happy times Bob.

This is pig-time big time. I wonder are there eagles around capable of moving this fodder up the food chain?

Bob Thompson
December 31st, 2008, 10:16 AM
Happy 2009,

The feast has commenced

Brendan Marnell
January 4th, 2009, 04:50 AM
Is that a buzzard on the table now? It's a little more than twice the size of the raven that appears on the ground now & again ...

As the light improves it looks like a golden eagle & the bait is well secured ...

On take-off he looked a bit small for a golden eagle but also a bit larger than a common buzzard ...

Brendan Marnell
January 5th, 2009, 03:44 AM
Buzzard just landed.

There may have been an eagle on the table before the buzzard yesterday but I'm not at all sure. After the first bird flew off the second bird was a common buzzard, verified when the camcorder zoomed towards the table for an hour or so. During that time there was a delivery of fodder in chunks pellets and seed. The buzzard returned 5 minutes afterwards by which time the cam had been zoomed out to the usual distance. Wild boar are putting up weight.

Brendan Marnell
March 5th, 2009, 02:00 PM
There's a small deer helping itself right now (along with the dog-racoons)

Bob Thompson
March 6th, 2009, 07:13 AM
Brendan,

If you miss an of the excitement ( I am not sure if that is the right word as there are long periods of nothing) you can always go to the forum where people put screen captures from the camera

Looduskalender • View topic - Wild Pig Cam 2009 discussion (http://www.looduskalender.ee/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=29)

The wild boar are definitely getting fatter

Bob

Tim Cee
March 9th, 2009, 06:20 AM
Okay, a couple of scat piles in the snow?

Brendan Marnell
March 9th, 2009, 09:21 AM
Give us this day our choppy 'n bobby
Just delivered ... 2 buckets
And on the table
Something meaty for Mabel

Bob Thompson
March 10th, 2009, 06:36 AM
The wild boar now have some hi-tech equipment, an automatic feeder although it reminds me of a steam train

Brendan Marnell
March 10th, 2009, 05:28 PM
That's a relief Bob, thank you.
I was afraid the pigs would be obliged to stick their heads in the oven & turn on the gas.