View Full Version : The "Sponsors" Play Policies....

Chris Soucy
January 19th, 2008, 04:51 AM
Sounds kind of ominous, don't it?

My point?

More and more, I'm finding myself suggesting to members (of DVinfo) that they go "play" with the kit they're thinking of buying.

All well and good. But where?

Well, lets take B&H as an example.

I have no idea what their policy is if someone comes in (to B&H) and says they want to play with a $2000 tripod and a $1000 head (or even a $200 tripod and $100 head!).

Is it allowed?

Will they (B&H staff) get it out, unpack it, set it up and actually allow someone to "play" with it?

Under what conditions?

I could go on ad nauseum about this, but the point is, I think, made.

So, is there any possibility that "the Sponsors" will post their "play" policies on DVinfo, so we all know what the situation is before we give advice about going to play with gear.

I just do not want to give anyone a bum steer about this if they're going to be shown the door for asking to try stuff.

And, guess what - it's not as if I can just drop in and ask, not going to be in that neck of the woods any time soon!

CS

Chris Hurd
January 19th, 2008, 05:07 AM
Chris... when you walk into B&H in Manhattan you'll immediately notice that *everything* they sell is right there on the floor ready for you to touch and try. This goes Zotz and both locations of Abel CineTech and the rest of our sponsoring full line dealers that maintain a brick & mortar walk-in retail space... they all have dedicated demo areas. Hope this helps,

Richard Alvarez
January 19th, 2008, 08:58 AM
I've found that most 'professional' camera/video supply stores will glady mount up gear to let you handle it. A store in the local bay area (Not a sponsor, no name then) was more than happy to let me handle an XLh-1, opened up a brand new 6x lens and mount it, walk around the shop, and hand it back.

So I think its a fair piece of advice to give, to go 'play' with a piece of gear. Having said that, I don't know that I would hand a 10k piece of kit to a 14 year old kid wearing cut-offs and a dirty t-shirt myself, so I'm thinking there might be a bit of discretionary judgement as to who gets to play and who doesn't.

So be on your best behaviour and wear a nice smile.

Chris Soucy
January 19th, 2008, 09:48 PM
that's the case with the sponsors.

Just thought it prudent to get this stuff spelt out for the Members and Visitors, especially any that are within decent travelling distance of any of the said sponsors.

There are a heap of us that aren't, of course, but for those that are, especially if you're new to this game and unfamiliar with the concepts and quality of some of this gear, there really is nothing like actually being able to get a hands on play.

I think this applies more to the "physical" aspect of the gear than the electronics (no amount of store play is going to tell you about the inner workings) but camera egonomics, tripods, heads, lights etc etc are a minefield for the unwary trying to buy blind on - line (no matter how many different opinions you've read!).

I'm pretty sure there's an awefull lot of shooters out there who, if they had the chance to try out a top line tripod and head from any of the big names, would think they'd died and gone to video heaven.

So, there you have it boys and girls, get yourself to a DVinfo sponsor and knock yourself out!

CS

Chris Hurd
January 19th, 2008, 09:54 PM
So be on your best behaviour and wear a nice smile....and buy from them. To pick up where Richard left off: they do you a favor by letting you play with the gear, so the right thing to do is to give them your business. And of course I mean that not just for our sponsoring dealers, but any local dealer that accommodates you... not just by letting you play with the gear but also by taking the time to answer all your questions. For that, they deserve your business.

Chris Soucy
January 19th, 2008, 10:23 PM
but I'm glad to said it anyway! Thanks.

CS

Annie Haycock
February 3rd, 2008, 08:40 AM
Being in the UK, I can't get to the sponsor's shops, but I'd like to add something here.

I'm always reluctant to pay out big money without having a "play" first, but when you live way out in the sticks, and there are no local shops, you don't always have the choice.

Someyears ago I bought a stills camera from a local shop who was much more expensive than city shops (this was before internet shopping was normal) just because he let me play with it first. When the trial film came back from the developers, the guys in the shop had a good look before giving them to me - they wanted to know what the camera was like too. (that shop closed down when the owner retired a few years ago)

And when buying my Canon XH-A1 a couple of months ago, from a new local shop that matches internet prices where he can (and in this case improves on them), he took the camera out of the box and held it up to look at it - just to say he'd handled one!

So it works both ways. If the shop lets you play, and appreciates your custom, do keep using it.