View Full Version : Lightweight Professional Travel Tripod?

Donny Miele
June 24th, 2003, 08:36 PM
I have just combed through the threads here and have learned a quite a bit about tripods for DV cams thanks to the generous posters. However, I have a specific need that I was hoping some of the members may have some experience with.

I have assembled a VX2000 system that I will be taking to Italy to shoot some iterviews for a documentary project. The camera will be weighted down a bit with a beachtek, ME66, WA Lens, etc. The ideal legs/head combo wouldn't require much setup, would be lightweight yet stable and of professional quality for under $500 (plus or minus).

Thanks in advance and I appologize if this a recent subject repeat.

Adrian Douglas
June 24th, 2003, 11:02 PM
For a lightweight and cheap set-up I'd be looking at the Manfrotto/Bogen Carbon-fibre legs and either the 501 or 503 heads.

Alan Craven
June 29th, 2003, 12:13 AM
The Gitzo G1127 legs are very light and rigid - more so than other carbon fibre legs I compared them with, including Velbon and Manfrotto. There is also a 4 section set of legs, which are shorter for packing.

I have two heads for use with them: A Gitzo 2380, which is very good, but quite heavy, and a Manfrotto MN200 composite head, which is OK, but very much lighter.

The legs have a hook under the centre from which you can hang a weighted bag. This is very useful for adding extra stability. I have made a bag in PU coated Cordura which fits over my Canon GL1/XM1 when it is on the head.

Jeff Donald
June 29th, 2003, 01:01 AM
The Gitzo four section legs will fold up smaller, but are slightly less rigid in my opinion. I'm not sure the pricing will meet your requirements either. Small, light weight, sturdy and under $500 are almost mutually exclusive in video tripods. I'll check some pricing and make some recommendations.

Alan Craven
June 29th, 2003, 05:30 AM
I agree. This is why I went for the 3-section, despite not being so convenient to carry around.

I paid £210 in the UK for the Gitzo legs, £140 for the Gitzo head and £54 for the Manfrotto head.

John Locke
June 29th, 2003, 05:59 AM
The Libec TH-650, head and leg combo, is only 3.2 kg. It has three sections. Folded it's 750mm, extended 1,500mm...and holds 5 kg. There are other Libec models that might be even lighter.

Jeff Donald
June 29th, 2003, 01:54 PM
The Gitzo G1127 is around $400 USD, depending on the center column you choose. The G2380 head is around $175 USD and Bogen 501 (3433) is around $150 USD. These are excellent choices, but you'll be well over budget with shipping and/or sales tax. If your budget permits a little stretching, the Gitzo head and sticks will not disappoint.

If on the other hand the budget is already stretched (and who's isn't) then I would have a serious look at the Libec outfits. They are fairly economical and you'll find numerous recommendations if you search the topic.

Donny Miele
June 29th, 2003, 08:59 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions above!

I went by my local film/video store here in San Francisco to check out the Bogen carbon fiber options. They had some nice stuff, but just outside my price range. I'll see if I can't track down someone with one of the Libec or Gitzo options mentioned above. A tripod is one of the few acessories that I need to touch and feel before I buy.

Thanks again. I'll report back if I come across something interesting not already discussed.

Dave Largent
June 30th, 2004, 04:10 AM
I have a number of the big, heavier Bogens
(3246, 3058, 3061, etc.)
What I'm looking for is something with a column
that is more portable when I need to be mobile.
Right now I'm using a Sunpak with a 503 head.
Tilts are okay but the drag of the 503 on panning
twists the legs. It doesn't have to be tall, only
about 5 feet or so. Here's a link to the one
I'm using now. I'm looking for something that
has the same basic structure, but stiff and light.
Any ideas?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=299932&is=REG

Paul Tauger
June 30th, 2004, 11:06 AM
You didn't mention what kind of camera you're using, or how much it weights. I use Bogen/Manfrotto 3444D carbon sticks with my VX2000, which are nice and rigid.

Dave Largent
June 30th, 2004, 08:09 PM
I'm using VX2000 also.
One of the reasons I'm looking for something smaller
is so that I can move through a crowd, carrying the
tripod and camera by gripping the tripod center
column with one hand. The tripods I have now mostly
require two hands to move.

Paul Tauger
July 1st, 2004, 11:22 AM
The 3444D has a relatively short center column, but I've carried it, with camera mounted, in the manner you've described. As I recall, there's another version by Manfrotto that has a longer column. I'd recommend these sticks -- they're rock solid with the VX2000 and very, very light. If you want to see some stuff I shot with them, take a look at www.ruyitang.com and click on the Venice at Night or Florence at Night clips.

Dale Lundy
March 13th, 2006, 11:02 AM
I would like to get a decent tripod for a DVX100B; I will be traveling to France and Cambodia and being on my feet and carrying it a lot so weight is definitely an issue; keeping the cost as low as possible is important also.

In addition I am considering a monopod for those circumstances where carrying a tripod would be impractical.

I'd appreciate any recommendations you might have.

Dale

Alan Craven
March 13th, 2006, 12:17 PM
Look at the range of Gitzo carbon fibre tripods. They have noticeably more rigid legs than the competition.

Dennis Kane
March 14th, 2006, 08:44 AM
I have the Gitzo 1325 carbon legs and 1380 fluid head. This is about the lightest stable fluid combination I could find. Miller solo series is also comparable, but the DS10 head is not as good. My system weight 9lbs, not what I would call real light, but I can't find anything else that weighs less and has the same quality/performance.
dkane

Dale Lundy
March 16th, 2006, 09:44 PM
Where did you purchase the Gitzo?

Nick Reed
March 17th, 2006, 01:45 AM
I totally agree with Dennis. I have the Miller 1511 system (DS10 head & SOLO Carbon Fiber legs). If I had it to do over again, I would buy the Gitzo system (1325 & 1380). This is absolutely the sweet spot. If you spend any less, you will wish that you hadn't.

Nick

Floris van Eck
May 21st, 2006, 04:27 PM
Damn... these prices. I am also looking for a tripod in the same category as Dale Lundy but I am looking for something < $500.

Dale Lundy
May 22nd, 2006, 09:58 PM
Floris, I can't contradict what the others have said. I haven't used the systems they are talking about, but I expect they are right if you can justify the cost. However I also had budget constraints. I finally bought the Manfrotto 755B legs and 503 head. I recently took it on a trip to Cambodia and France and was very pleased.

I had to have a system that could be set up and taken down very quickly, was lightweight and versatile, but that fit within my budget.

Things I liked: (1) the leveling ball on the 755B (and all MDEVE systems) let me set up quickly and that was critical. (2) the weight was reasonable given that the budget I had to work with. (3) I packed it in my luggage and it survived unscathed. My wife did make a quilted case for it for padding. (4) When I had to set up the most quickly I could use the extension rather than fully extend all the legs. (5) It was stable even when I used the extension.

Things I didn't like: (1) a few less pounds would have still been nice; they just weren't in the budget. (2) The leveling head hooks on with set screws, and since I had to take it off to pack it in the suitcase, I had to carry a small screwdriver with me. Set screws with thumbscrews should be standard.

You can save a bit of weight with the 701RC2 head and it is less expensive than the 503 I chose. While it has less control, I think it would have done what I needed to do and saved a pound and a half.

In short, I won't say what I chose is the best system on the market--the system recommended by the other posters is likely to be better--but for a combination of doing what I needed to do at a price within my budget it worked well.

Dale

Floris van Eck
May 23rd, 2006, 03:46 PM
I already own this combination:

Manfrotto 055DB
http://www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/cache/offonce/pid/2274?livid=68|69&idx=71

141RC basic pan + tilt head
http://www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/cache/offonce/pid/2342?livid=80|81&lsf=81&child=1

I am not sure if I only need a good video head (like the 503), or a new video head and new legs. I heard that there are better legs which can be adjusted with one hand, in contradiction to my 055DB.

This combination was recommended by another forum member:

Bogen / Manfrotto 351MVB2 Aluminum Video Tripod Kit with 75mm Half Bowl and 3460 (503) Pro Head, Mid-Level Spreader, Rubber Shoes & Padded case - Supports 13.5 lb (6.1 kg)
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=387808&is=REG&addedTroughType=search

It looks good to me but the weight (5.6kg) makes me think that this tripod is not really suited for travelling by foot. Maybe I just need a cheap/crappy tripod that will just allow me to get my camera leveled.

Still, I would like to hear the advice of people who travel a lot by plane/foot. Or even better, people who hike through forests etcetera.

William Gawler
June 11th, 2006, 03:25 PM
I'm going to Greece on vacation on the 20th and I need a recommendation for a tripod. We already bought a $500 head that we put on another manfrotto tripod we already had. Thing is, it isn't really sturdy enough because the tripod was made for still cameras. The legs don't stay locked very well and it isn't easy to setup fast. It works, but not great.

I need a tripod that is maneuverable, fast and easy to setup on the fly, and is strong enough for an XL2 with all the accessories we bought. We just need the legs since we already have a good head. I'm hoping there is one for under $300 and can purchase it from B&H.

Toenis Liivamaegi
December 27th, 2006, 07:27 AM
Can someone reccommend a light weight fluid head with 4-6kg max capacity?
So far I´m only familiar with Bogen/Manfrotto 501 and 503 heads that weight about 1.6kg but is there any alternative?

Thanks in advance,
T

Vito DeFilippo
December 27th, 2006, 07:44 AM
Take a look at the Manfrotto 701 RC2. 4 Kilo limit. Weighs 0.8K in contrast to the 1.5K of the Manfrotto 501. But still is a fluid head with sliding plate for balancing, and includes a counterbalance spring.

Toenis Liivamaegi
December 28th, 2006, 01:59 AM
I quess 701RC2 it is then as my El Carmagne travel legs can carry only 6kg in total I assume. How bad will the 701 head perform under max load?

Hopefully I can try it out with my HVX today.

Thanks,
T

Vito DeFilippo
December 28th, 2006, 12:43 PM
One of the other members discusses this head here:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=31151&highlight=tripod+manfrotto+head

I used to use it for my Z1. It was small, but surprisingly good. I upgraded to something much more expensive, but if I had to have something lightweight, I would have kept it for sure.

There are a few reviews on the web if you want to search as well.

Toenis Liivamaegi
January 8th, 2007, 02:15 AM
About a week ago I had to shoot some corporate stuff during one day shoot in office with Canon XHA1. I must say that the 701rc2 head with Velbon El Carmagne legs worked well for run and gun type of office shoot, I must say that the XH series camcorders are the max optimum load for 701 head.
Also the XH A1 held up really good in available light indoors.

T

Peter Rhalter
January 10th, 2007, 02:21 PM
The Gitzo G2180 weighs 570 grams and is rated up to 4 kg. I am using it for 2 kg and it works smoothly even at 20X.

Toenis Liivamaegi
January 10th, 2007, 02:33 PM
Thanks Peter,

Is the QR plate of the G2180 reversible? Cause as you might already know I intend to use a light weight CF legs for occasional shoulder support for the camcorder.

Cheers,
T

Peter Rhalter
January 10th, 2007, 02:37 PM
<Is the QR plate of the G2180 reversible?>

I just tried it and yes it is reversible. Hope that helps.

Best wishes,
Peter

Toenis Liivamaegi
January 10th, 2007, 03:31 PM
I see that this Gitzo G2180 head is quite a exlusive item here on DVinfo so I quess that I`ll review it soon, thanks again Peter for pointing that one out as none of the searches on Gitzo heads haven`t brought up the DV usability of those heads.
I can only imagine how portable would it be with the new set of Gitzo GT2530LVL leveling(!) legs that can carry 12kg but weights only 1.6kg.

Cheers,
T

Peter Rhalter
January 10th, 2007, 04:44 PM
The G2180 with carbon sticks is my favorite for hiking/backpacking. The only thing missing is a bubble level. Windy days can be a challenge, too. I'll be waiting to see your review.

Best,
Peter

Toenis Liivamaegi
January 11th, 2007, 02:29 AM
The only thing missing is a bubble level

I have several of those spare Manfrotto/Bogen Bubble Levels (http://gallery.bcentral.com/GID2025592P4980947-Bubble-Level-for-Bogen-3033-3036-3046-3051-3068.aspx) let`s see where to attach it...

T

Peter Rhalter
January 11th, 2007, 08:57 AM
How big is that bubble level? The G2180 head is so small that it leaves a 12mm ring of empty space around it on my 75mm bowl mount. There are also levels that fit onto a camera's hot shoe, although I prefer it on the tripod.

Best wishes,
Peter

Toenis Liivamaegi
January 12th, 2007, 06:18 AM
Peter, do you know on which thread does that Gitzo head fit? I mean if it is possible to attach it to manfotto/bogen half bowls too...

The bubble level is about 10mm in diametre.

Thanks,
T

Peter Rhalter
January 12th, 2007, 09:00 AM
Peter, do you know on which thread does that Gitzo head fit? I mean if it is possible to attach it to manfotto/bogen half bowls too...

The bubble level is about 10mm in diametre.

Thanks,
T

Yes, it very certainly attaches to the Manfrotto half bowls as that is what I use, too.

Best wishes,
Peter

Peter Rhalter
January 18th, 2007, 12:16 AM
I have several of those spare Manfrotto/Bogen Bubble Levels (http://gallery.bcentral.com/GID2025592P4980947-Bubble-Level-for-Bogen-3033-3036-3046-3051-3068.aspx) let`s see where to attach it...

T

Toenis,

Based on your suggestion I bought one of the little Manfrotto/Bogen Bubble Levels, too. There is indeed room to mount it directly on a Manfrotto tripod. However, I chose to glue it onto a small (and cheap) hot shoe adapter which I then put on the unused hot shoe of my camera. That leaves me the flexibility to swap fluid heads without having to detach the level from the tripod plate.

Best wishes,
Peter

Toenis Liivamaegi
January 30th, 2007, 02:31 AM
Peter, is the clicking sound normal with Gitzo G2180 head?
I mean when I engage the counter balance system it sort of clicks at the extreme angles.

My first impressions are that it is much more solid than the Manfrotto 701RC2/501/503 and of course the ergonomics are just fantastic when compared to those traditional heads.

When I get used to the counter balance system I`ll be much more satisfied than with the 701RC2 head.

Cheers,
T

Peter Rhalter
January 30th, 2007, 03:23 AM
Peter, is the clicking sound normal with Gitzo G2180 head?
I mean when I engage the counter balance system it sort of clicks at the extreme angles.

Toenis,

Mine also clicks in one spot, near the end of an extreme down-tilt where the camera is pointed down. It doesn't do that when tilting up. It is interesting that you have this, too, as I wasn't sure what to make of it. I decided to ignore it since in all other ways this head is better than the alternatives that I have seen and it affects very few shots. Yes, I agree the click(s) are a limitation.

I wonder if Gitzo can fix this, or is it inherent in the design? Even though I live in a large city (Los Angeles), there are no stores here that carry the G2180, so I haven't been able to compare mine with any other examples.

Otherwise everything functions very well. The only limitation of the G2180 that I have found is the flip side of one of its strengths: the low mass. While the head is nicely designed and constructed, getting a smooth pan at 20X is not so easy because the light weight head doesn't dampen any of my errors. Have you had any experience with this?

One great benefit of this head is that I carry my tripod around with me more. It's so light that I no longer hesitate to bring it along.

Best wishes,
Peter

Peter Rhalter
January 30th, 2007, 10:59 AM
When I get used to the counter balance system I`ll be much more satisfied than with the 701RC2 head.

I think the counterbalance system is excellent, now that I have figured out how to use it. The instructions could have been a little clearer, but the system works very well.

Best wishes,
Peter