View Full Version : Tripod maintenance

Eivind Vaa
June 8th, 2003, 07:46 PM
Does anyone have advice on how to cheaply maintain DV-tripods? I think the tripod in question is the LIBEC HEIWA TH-650, but I'm not quite sure. It's well used and is starting to make smooth panning and tilting VERY difficult, there's a lot of friction, and thightening and loosening isn't what it used to be. We have the same problem with a couple of beta-tripods, although they are a bit more expensive/complicated and should probably be left to professionals when it comes to maintenance.

Eivind

Frank Granovski
June 8th, 2003, 08:24 PM
The Nylon washers are probably wearing out. I don't think it's worth your while to fix this. I'm presuming it's a fluid-action (friction) head.

Eivind Vaa
June 9th, 2003, 09:50 AM
So what you're saying is that there is no way of improve the pan and tilt action?

Frank Granovski
June 9th, 2003, 12:47 PM
I'm just guessing that the washers are worn out. If they can be replaced, the panning and tilting would once again work as it should. Have you tried contacting the company about your concerns? That's where I would start, or just get a better tripod.

Mike Rehmus
June 9th, 2003, 01:07 PM
Tripod repair is surprising inexpensive (normally). Contact the importer for repairs.