View Full Version : Hard case for the A1?

Bryan Gilchrist
October 5th, 2007, 09:55 AM
I did a search and was only able to find soft-side cases (Kata, Zoomiverse) for the A1, but I am looking for a hard-side case...does anyone have any suggestions as to what to get?

Thanks in advance. :)

David Chia
October 5th, 2007, 10:03 AM
pelican 1550 or 1510

Bill Pryor
October 5th, 2007, 10:36 AM
I agree, the Pelican cases are the best deal for the money.

Josh Chesarek
October 5th, 2007, 01:22 PM
I have a pelican 1510, holds the camera and extras nicely and is good for carry on airline travel.

You can see pics of my A1 in the case @ http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showpost.php?p=589809&postcount=45

David Del Real
October 5th, 2007, 02:46 PM
I have a pelican 1510, holds the camera and extras nicely and is good for carry on airline travel.

You can see pics of my A1 in the case @ http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showpost.php?p=589809&postcount=45

Is that a GL2 next to your A1 in the pic you linked to?

Ken Wozniak
October 5th, 2007, 02:52 PM
SKB also makes MIL-Spec waterproof cases that will fit the XH-A1.
I use the 3I-2011-7B-C. In my geographic area, the only cases I could buy were from a local music store, and they carried SKB.
http://www.skbcases.com/industrial/products/prod-detail.php?d=f3lf7&id=309&s=p

Josh Chesarek
October 5th, 2007, 03:48 PM

yes. It is a canon GL2 but it does NOT go in the 1510 WITH the A1 :)

Bill Watson
October 5th, 2007, 04:04 PM
I have the Pelican 1520.

Bryan Gilchrist
October 6th, 2007, 12:09 AM
No one seems to have the 1510 in stock, so I may have to go for the 1520 or 1550.

Thanks for the input, though! :)

Bill Watson
October 6th, 2007, 02:22 AM
Nothing wrong with the 1520.

It's a fraction smaller than the 1510 but you can still fit in the lens hood, spare batteries, extra tapes, a mike, lens' and whatever.

Plus, it's lighter.

Better colour range too. I got a yellow one. High vis. and better heat deflection.

Josh Chesarek
October 6th, 2007, 05:54 AM
B&H has it I think...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/330231-REG/Pelican_PC1510B_1510_Watertight_Case_Black_.html

It is listed in Stock there.

Shiv Kumar
October 6th, 2007, 11:20 AM
Would someone mind listing the "other" things that one needs to buy along with the case?

Looking at this link:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/330231-REG/Pelican_PC1510B_1510_Watertight_Case_Black_.html

What else does one need? I mean the cutout for the A1 in the foam etc. I'm not very clear how it works for the A1?

Thanks.

Shiv.

Josh Chesarek
October 6th, 2007, 10:21 PM
The kit there comes with a full foam block. You then lay out what you want to put in the form. Once you have everything laying on top where you want it, mark it off somehow, I just shoved my finger to break the foam apart, and then pull out the sections of foam you don't need. So, you create your own template, not buy one. Make what ever holes you want. The only accessory I got for it was the 1519 lid organizer which I think is worth it. It gives you lots of extra zip pockets to store things in. You can see it in use in the photos I linked to above.

David W. Jones
October 6th, 2007, 11:03 PM
I use a Storm Case 2750 for my XH-A1.
It gives me room for the XH-A1 mounted to the Canon TA-100 on a Hyson base Plate with 12" rails and a 4x4 matte Box mounted.
Along with room for the Canon WD-H72 wide angle lens & Hood,
Marshall V-R70P-HDA Monitor, Hoodman H700, Noga arm, 2 IDX batteries,
Extra Batteries for the XH-A1, Monitor Cables, and a few DV tapes.
All in a nice roll-around package.

I use a smaller Storm Case 2500 to carry my 9 Zeiss prime lenses
along with my Brevis 35, charger, and ND Filters.

Ivan Mosny
October 7th, 2007, 02:22 AM
I am using this one and it`s cheap and excellent.
http://www.kofferfunshop.de/digicam+%26+photo+cases/digicam-cases/camera+case+camcase+i

Bryan Gilchrist
October 7th, 2007, 01:28 PM
I think I'm going to go with the Pelican.

Although the last one looks nice, the sides seem a little thin.

Shiv Kumar
October 7th, 2007, 02:17 PM
Thank you all for answering my question. I now have a better idea of what I'll need to do/buy.

Shiv.

Ivan Mosny
October 8th, 2007, 01:03 PM
Although the last one looks nice, the sides seem a little thin.
The Sides are 16mm thick. There is 4mm hard black foam inside. These are solid metal ball corners. And your completelly equipment is placed secure in foam.
http://picasaweb.google.pl/ivamosmeister/HardCase

David W. Jones
October 8th, 2007, 09:54 PM
Here is a look at the storm case.

Shiv Kumar
October 8th, 2007, 10:54 PM
David,

So the foam (where the camera is placed) goes all the way to the bottom?

Just so I know I'm getting this correct...
You've decided where to place what pieces and then you go about cutting away at the foam (sizes and depth). Is that correct?

Shiv Kumar
October 8th, 2007, 10:55 PM
Another thing, would you mind posting a photo of the inside of the smaller case? I'm assuming that's the case that conforms to the "hand bagage" dimensions?

David W. Jones
October 9th, 2007, 06:57 AM
The foam inside the case goes all the way to the bottom, and you just pluck away where you want. It's very easy to do.

I'm not sure if this smaller case is cary-on safe, as I transport my gear via other methods.

Charles Dodd
October 14th, 2007, 12:14 PM
Does anyone have the Pelican 1550NF? If so is it large enough for a
XH A1? Having a hard time making my mind up about a case. B&H has
the 1550NF in silver. Thanks.

Charles Dodd

Bryan Gilchrist
October 14th, 2007, 12:44 PM
Just an FYI, NF means No Foam, so make sure it's what you want.

Charles Dodd
October 14th, 2007, 01:24 PM
Thanks for your quick response. I think this case along with other
Pelican models would be alright. The foam is extra. I found other
places with the Pelicans with foam, but have decided to go with the
1550 from B&H. Thanks again.

Charles Dodd

David Chilson
October 18th, 2007, 03:25 PM
I have two A1's and purchased the Porta brace PB-250 for them. They are very rugged and have wheels and an extending handle. They are very well made.

Michael Buonopane
October 18th, 2007, 03:45 PM
I just bought the pelican 1550. Its perfect for the A1. Custom foam. Adorama had a great price for $125, includes shipping and 2 layers of customizable foam (in case you make a mistake). I got it in 48 hours with regular shipping!

Camera fits just right. Room for some batteries and tapes. Nice case. Foam is solid and holds camera tightly. Highly recommend it.

Steven Dempsey
October 19th, 2007, 09:08 AM
The foam inside the case goes all the way to the bottom, and you just pluck away where you want. It's very easy to do.

I'm not sure if this smaller case is cary-on safe, as I transport my gear via other methods.

David, you are so organized, it's sickening :)

How do you like those Zeiss lenses...looks like all that is worth a pretty penny. Where did you buy?

Brad Tyrrell
October 19th, 2007, 09:43 AM
Just noticed that the Pelican 1510 is more "carry-on-able" than the 1520 but is larger. Hmmm...

http://pelican.com/airline_allowance_medium.php

Maybe if I just don't fly...

Bryan Gilchrist
October 19th, 2007, 09:45 AM
Ordered the 1510 from B&H and got it in yesterday. Seemed a little smaller than I expected it to be, but I got the A1 in there.

Also got the organizer with it, but would like to shoot the person that made it. They give you tiny screws and expect you to stick them into holes that are behind the mesh. Needless to say, it was a little frustrating...especially when you're 6'2" and have big hands. They should have used snaps or some sort of lock-in system for that.

Other than that, it's a very nice case.

John Cusi
October 19th, 2007, 11:01 AM
This one's a great set from ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/HARD-CASE-W-WHEELS-FOR-CANON-XH-G1-XHG1-AH-A1-GL1-GL3_W0QQitemZ120172210026QQihZ002QQcategoryZ83861QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I'm currently using it and it's got a nice solid feel and very light construction. Looks very professional. Comes with dividers, precut foam, key locks, & extra cushions.

David W. Jones
October 20th, 2007, 08:23 AM
David, you are so organized, it's sickening :)

How do you like those Zeiss lenses...looks like all that is worth a pretty penny. Where did you buy?

Hi Steve, Most of my Zeiss lenses were purchased on ebay before the red camera was released. Now that the red is starting to ship, the prices on great glass have started going through the roof. A set of old cinema standard speed Zeiss primes with PL mounts that used to cost $5K now goes for $22K.
High quality Russian Lomo lenses with the Oct-19 mount are sky high as well.
The prices on good Canon and Nikon lenses have started to climb as well with folks starting to use the 35mm DOF adapters.
I consider the Zeiss lenses I use to be 1 step down from professional cinema lenses, which is just fine with me. Their build quality is great, and their optical performance is fantastic. For those of you with Flame on your mind, I'm not posting this to get into a Zeiss is better lens war, as I own lenses from other manufactures as well.
But I will say, all things being equal, where the DV or HDV format is the equal playing field, using the best glass you can afford is more important then ever.

Steven Dempsey
October 20th, 2007, 08:26 AM
Thanks David....what is the major difference between the Zeiss and, say, a Nikon 35mm adapter to your eye? (I'm not interested in a technical explanation). Is there better bokeh because of the blade structure? Better edge to edge sharpness? Better contrast, etc.?

David W. Jones
October 20th, 2007, 08:27 AM
This one's a great set from ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/HARD-CASE-W-WHEELS-FOR-CANON-XH-G1-XHG1-AH-A1-GL1-GL3_W0QQitemZ120172210026QQihZ002QQcategoryZ83861QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I'm currently using it and it's got a nice solid feel and very light construction. Looks very professional. Comes with dividers, precut foam, key locks, & extra cushions.

Looks to be a nice economical case, but does not appear to be water proof.
Which may, or may not be important to someone.

David W. Jones
October 20th, 2007, 08:49 AM
Thanks David....what is the major difference between the Zeiss and, say, a Nikon 35mm adapter to your eye? (I'm not interested in a technical explanation). Is there better bokeh because of the blade structure? Better edge to edge sharpness? Better contrast, etc.?

You kind of nailed it with your question, all of the above!
I just happen to like the Zeiss Bokeh a little better than Nikon's for the equivalent lenses, and there does not seem to be any color shift from lens to lens.
The other thing I like about the Contax Zeiss lenses over Nikons is, they focus in the same direction as professional cinema lenses, where Nikons focus backwards. If I had a Willytec follow focus it wouldn't be a problem for me, but I don't, so...