View Full Version : 503HDV Head

Warren Cook
September 28th, 2007, 09:42 AM
Hello, I'm planning on going to B&H to buying the Bogen 503HDV with a tripod
next month. Does anyone out there have a review of this new head?

Alex Humphrey
September 28th, 2007, 03:44 PM
Hello, I'm planning on going to B&H to buying the Bogen 503HDV with a tripod
next month. Does anyone out there have a review of this new head?

I've got a Manfroto 501 that I've always hated. Never broke in. sticky starts and stops at all friction levels. From what I hear, the 503's are only slightly improved. I have not used one to verify this. Had cameras from Sony TRV-900 (small) to my JVC HD110 with IDX battery, zoom control etc... 501 always sticky. I did just get from BH a Mathews M25 that isn't half bad.. for $180 delivered to my door by BH. smooth starts and stops... half the weight. No variation on friction, but the head does have a control to balance out the the camera so variable friction is unecissary. However a good fluid head and sticks, your pretty much looking at $1,100 or MINIMUM... and really $1,500 should be your expected target. The M25 just came out last month, and videomaker.com had a positive review on it. If people are interested I'll take some digital pics of it and post em.

Dearl Golden
September 28th, 2007, 04:10 PM
Never used a 501, but I bought the 503HDV / 351MVB2 kit from B&H and I have NO problem with it and my XH-A1. Very easy to balance and extremely smooth in all directions.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/496825-REG/Bogen_Manfrotto_503HDV_351MVB2K_351MVB2_TRIPOD_w_503HDV_HEAD_MBAGP.html

My first tripod with this cam was a Libec LS38, but I found it to heavy and cumbersome for my particular needs

Bert Smyth
September 28th, 2007, 08:50 PM
I'll second Alex's comments. Had a 501, crap. It depends what you want to do. Shooting on your own, well, sure, it can work. If you're hiring yourself out as a pro videographer, then you need something better. I now use a Miller Arrow 30, but that is way more than you'll want to spend.
Try before you buy. You do tend to get what you pay for. Someone mentioned before that if your having problems with pans, you can try putting a hair elastic on the pan handle, and pull that instead to avoid a jerky start. Needless to say i don't use a hair elastic with my Miller!

Christian Magnussen
September 29th, 2007, 02:43 AM
My experience with manfrotto is limited to my old school's equipment, but that also made sure i did NOT buy manfrotto. Ended up with a Sachtler instead.

For some reason i went with a cheap libec setup a few years instead of 501/503 head and from time to time at school suggested we use my libec 950 rather than the rubbish manfrotto.

Ofcourse i might have been unfortunate with my manfrotto's, but as Bert said, if you are going to work for others as a pro don't turn up with a tripod setup that won't give you smooth pans.

Warren Cook
September 29th, 2007, 09:50 AM
I will being video taping for myself. Mostly all nature and wildlife that I hope to make DVD's from and sell.

At this time I have a D8 camcorder with a 2x teleconverter which makes it equal to a 2100mm 35mm telephoto. I'm buying the tripod now for an XL2 that I'll be buying in the spring. So I would like a tripod thats is sturdy and a head that pans smoothly. My budget for this tripod is $800.00.

I'd like to hear some remarks about the 503HDV, if anyone has used this new head yet.

Nathan Quattrini
October 1st, 2007, 09:55 AM
I just got mine and have used it a few times. I won't have a computer able to view my footage until december though. I looked at some on the tv tonight and it looks good. I used an elastic as suggested and it looks very nice, also tried using no elastic but not sure where the footage is. Will have a full review soon I hope (i'll be going home to the states in 3 days).

Jim Andrada
October 8th, 2007, 08:03 PM
I must be the only one who has no problems with a 501!

Doesn't stick, doesn't jerk - no problems at all.

Maybe I'm just lucky!

Greg Rothschild
October 16th, 2007, 08:09 AM
I've been using the 503HD for a few months now and at 2000mm I think you'll have to practice a lot to get smooth pans- but that probaby goes for any head you could buy because that is such a long lens. Regardless, the head is fairly smooth- not perfect by any means but decent. Considering the price of those heads that are "perfectly smooth" I'm not complaining.

Scott Cantrell
October 16th, 2007, 12:04 PM
I had a client come by and pick up the 503HDV,351MVB2KIT and we tested it here at my office. I have to admit, I do like it better than the origional 503 head. I had more control of the pan and tilt over the orig 503 and the counterbalance has improved.

Since promoting Libec for a few years now, I tend to compare Bogen VS Libec on a regular occasion. I still like the Libec LS38M(2A) 2-Stage system which sells for $599.00 at TapeWorks which is very comparible to Bogen/Manfrotto's 503HDV,351MVB2KIT Single Stage system which sells for $609.00 from TapeWorks Texas Inc. Pricing is close to the same, overall control is the about the same. I guess it comes down to do you want a single or 2-stage tripod? Over either one of those though, I prefer the Libec LS55M(2A) system which sells for $899. This of course is personal preference and opinion only.

Bogen/Manfrotto has definitely improved their customer service over the past year. Libec's customer service has been and still is outstanding. Both Bogen and Libec's availability on product are good.

Hope this helps!

Best Regards,
Scott Cantrell
TapeWorks Texas Inc - HDVinfo Sponser
866-827-3489
scott@tapeworkstexas.com

Andrew Fraser
October 16th, 2007, 05:30 PM
Bogen/Manfrotto has definitely improved their customer service over the past year.

I sent my 503 head of to be repaired about 3 months ago, at the time they said there would be a wait as the part needing to be repaired had to be brought in from overseas as there were none in Australia. I rang up this week and they said that the part is due to be shipped from overseas this week so should be another month or so before it gets here, repaired and sent back to me. Talk about lousy service...

Allen Mitts
October 16th, 2007, 07:47 PM
Over either one of those though (Libec LS38M(2A) 2-Stage system and 503HDV,351MVB2KIT Single Stage system), I prefer the Libec LS55M(2A) system which sells for $899.

Hi Scott, can you expand on the reason you prefer the Libec LS55M?

Thanks,

Allen

Mike Beckett
October 17th, 2007, 01:55 AM
The problem I faced with Libecs is that to get a tripod of any stability, I'd have to get a LS 38 or above. These are all rated 6kg and up - the LS-38 is 6-10kg and the LS-55 is 8-13kg.

If I put my 2.5kg camcorder on them, the counterbalance is just waaay too strong and I end up fighting it to get any significant tilt.

At the weight range I need, the LS-22 (or 950DV) has a reasonable head (for the price), but I find the legs too flimsy.

I've just purchased a Vinten Pro-6 HDV. This is the 503HDV head re-badged (because they're all part of the Vitec group, I presume) but with a proper Vinten pozi-lock 2-stage tripod. Now the tripod weighs a few kg more (good exercise points!), but it seems to be a lot more stable than the Manfrotto 525 legs from my point of view. To my mind, this is a very solid combo for the money. I echo what a previous poster said about facing panning issues at 20x zoom, but then I have to draw the line somewhere for something that is a hobby, not a business.

The Pro-6HDV/503HDV balances really well with my Sony V1, and all the controls are logical. I've yet to put the tripod to serious use, but I plan to give it a good shake-down this weekend. Maybe the free Vinten T-shirt will have arrived by then!

Also, the Pro-6HDV comes with a really neat carry case, complete with shoulder strap. I think it's actually a Petrol case rebadged, but I can't be sure of that.

Scott Cantrell
October 18th, 2007, 11:56 AM
Andrew, When I mentioned Bogen's improved service, this is related to Bogen US customer service. Their availability on product has improved and their technical assistance has improved from a year ago. Their sales force has become knowledgable over the wide range of products they offer (Manfrotto, Gitzo, Lastolite etc). Once again though, this is related to the US distribution location.

Allen, the LS55 system includes a 2-step drag system that the LS38 does not. This becomes handy in various applications which I am sure you are aware. At the price range, Libec offers a quality product. I am not comparing this system to a Sachtler, Miller or Vinten systems. But, I can compare it to Bogen's 501 and 503 heads which are very popular in the market place. I have used the H38 and H55 on various product demos with the Canon XHA1 and JVC's GYHD110/250 camcorders. The H55 responds smoothly with the JVC, you do have to be a little patient with it when using the XHA1 as it is a lighter camcorder (H55 being rated for weights 8 - 22lbs). As Mike mentioned, the counterbalance on the H55 is a little strong for that type of camcorder. But, once again, having drag modes available assists with this discrepency. Additionally, if shooting with the XHA1, you have room to add accessories like matte box, on-board lighting, prime lenses etc and the added weight will assist in the performance of the LS55 system. Basically giving you room to grow into it. If you are not planning on adding accessories to a cam that is 5 - 6 lbs, than the LS38 system is probably the direction you would want to go. By the way, allow me to reiterate that the new 503HDV performs great with the camera's I mentioned as well, for the price point that is. If you are looking for even better performance out of a tripod, take a look at Sachtler's 0650 DV-6SB SL Carbon Fiber Tripod System which sells for over $2000.00! It comes down to how well do you want a product to perform and how much are you willing to spend!

Thomas Barclay
November 2nd, 2007, 12:20 PM
I own a 503HDV and it is okay. My biggest problem is that I don't know how to use it. I conveniently lost the instruction manual. I have tried to go to Manfrotto's site for it but no luck. Don't get me wrong. I know how to lock it into a spot but setting it up for good pan or any smooth action is beyond me. If anyone has a copy of the manual, I would be greatful.

-Thomas

Mike Beckett
November 2nd, 2007, 12:37 PM
Thomas, if you visit the Vinten site you can download the manual for the Pro-6 HDV. The legs are different, but the head is just a re-badged 503HDV, as mentioned above.

http://www.vinten.com/product-detail.php?cn=&lang=1&pid=168&fid=4&rid=

There's a link to "Operator manual" on the right hand side of that page.

I'm not sure if Manfrotto have a similar facility on their site, I don't recall seeing one.

Thomas Barclay
November 3rd, 2007, 06:20 PM
Hey Mike, thanks for the link. Just looking at the picture, I can see 2 small differences but the rest is an exact match.

Pretty cool.

Greg Laves
December 26th, 2007, 10:14 PM
I am looking for tripod solution for my newly acquired Sony V1U. In doing my research, I have only heard of rave reviews on the Vinten Pro 6 tripod system. Mike Beckett says the Bogen/Manfroto 503HDV head is the same head as the Vinten Pro 6, just rebadged. I have seen some negative reviews on the Bogen 501 head and the Bogen 503(non-HDV version?) head. I already have excellent Vinten sticks with a 100 mm ball. So my question is.... Is the Vinten pro 6 head available separately at a price comparable to the price of a 503HDV head? Are the Vinten Pro 6 head and the 503HDV heads really the same. Thomas Barclay said he noticed 2 small differences when he looked at the manuals. What are they? Thanks for the help.

Chris Soucy
December 26th, 2007, 11:19 PM
Is the Pro 6 available seperately?

Yes

Price?

No idea

The Pro 6 and the Manfrotto head are exactly the same, rebadged item. Some minor cosmetic changes are all that distinguishes them.

What are they?

No idea. Maybe Thomas will tell you.

My Q to you:

If you already have excellent Vinten sticks, why not stick an excellent Vinten head on them?

The Vision 3 head will leave anything by Manfrotto in it's wake (IMPO, of course).

CS

Mike Beckett
December 27th, 2007, 03:26 AM
If you just want the head, then I don't see why you would want the Vinten one rather than the Manfrotto/Bogen one if the Vinten is harder to get hold of. A Chris sais, they're exactly the same.

I chose the Vinten over the Manfrotto purely for the legs. I simply can't afford a full 'pro' Vinten tripod system like the Vision 3. With the kit I got, at least I've got a really good set of Vinten poziloc legs that can support a Vision 3 head should I ever need to upgrade.

To me, the Pro-6 (503HDV) head is good. Definitely not 'great', as in a pro Sachtler head or Vision 3, but as good as I will get at my budget. It's performed well for me in the field - locked off at 80% zoom in a reasonably strong gale at the Irish Sea coast last week and rock solid, plus really good pans and tilts at lower zoom levels - but like anything in this range, panning or tilting at higher zoom factors isn't wonderful.

Greg Laves
December 27th, 2007, 07:14 PM
I have no problem buying a Bogen 503 HDV head versus buying a Vinten head, if they are the same. Even though the Vinten head and sticks would probably have greater resale value than a Bogen head/Vinten sticks combo. But I am not buying it for resale. In spite of the fact that most of the professional video world seems to look down on Bogen as inferior products, I have been satisfied with the Bogen tripods and heads I have used before. They have been durable and have worked well enough for me.

As for the Vision 3 head, I am sure it would be better but right now I don't have the $600 difference in price between a Vision 3 head and a 503HDV head. That is a big step when you are looking at $370 vs. $970.

Greg Laves
December 27th, 2007, 07:58 PM
I have been closely examining photos of Bogen 503, Bogen 503HDV and Vinten Pro 6 heads. I can easily see that there are styling differences between the Pro 6 and the 503HDV heads but the way the controls are layed out they appear to be the same in function. However for all of you that have used the Bogen 503 head but not the 503HDV head, those heads are nothing alike and the performance and characteristics of the 503 probably have no direct bearing on the 503HDV head.

Ken Hull
December 30th, 2007, 10:26 PM
I'm considering the 503HDV, partly because the specs say it has an illuminated bubble level. (The bubble level on my old Bolex pan head seems to be in the dark shadows half the time, and I have to go find a flashlight.) Does the 503HDV use a commonly available battery, and is it easy to get at.
Ken

Warren Cook
December 31st, 2007, 09:51 AM
Ken

I have the 503HDV and the battery is a CR1220-3v which is available at Radio Shack for $4.99 as per there website.

Hope this helps

Warren

Ken Hull
December 31st, 2007, 10:45 PM
Thanks Warren.
BTW, is the battery compartment easy to get to?
Do you have to remove the head from the tripod to change the battery?
Ken

Warren Cook
January 1st, 2008, 09:52 AM
Ken

The battery compartment is easy to get too. You do not have to remove the head to replace the battery, but removing the head is an easy task anyway.

The head comes with instructions and shows you how to change the battery. You have to remove the battery compartment to remove a battery protection strip so the battery can make contact.

Warren

Bill Koehler
February 26th, 2008, 11:17 PM
I own a 503HDV and it is okay. My biggest problem is that I don't know how to use it. I conveniently lost the instruction manual. I have tried to go to Manfrotto's site for it but no luck. Don't get me wrong. I know how to lock it into a spot but setting it up for good pan or any smooth action is beyond me. If anyone has a copy of the manual, I would be greatful.

-Thomas

Try this link:

http://www.manfrotto.com.au/PDFPages/Manuals/503HDV_gb.pdf