View Full Version : Seperate Classified Ad

Dave Robinson
September 3rd, 2007, 09:01 AM
Hi,

I had a thought that maybe the classified ads forum should be seperated for Europe / America.

I've just been hunting for a second hand XL1 but all of them were in America. I just think it would make life easier, or for people to specify the location in the thread title.

I know it's perfectly feasable to ship from the states to the UK but getting stung for VAT is not fun in this country.

Just a thought anyway.

Dave

Chris Hurd
September 3rd, 2007, 10:14 AM
Actually that's a pretty good idea Dave. Fairly easy to do with a sub-forum for each part of the world. Or perhaps by using thread prefixes... in addition to the common prefixes FS (for sale) and WTB (want to buy), we could add a two-letter country code such as US, UK, CA, EU, AU, JP etc. or WW for world wide.

"UK WTB used tripod good condition" -- United Kingdom, want to buy, used tripod in good condition.

Just thinking out loud...

Dave Robinson
September 4th, 2007, 07:33 AM
Yup, that's what I was thinking.

It seemed every XL1 for sale in the classifieds was coming from the US, which I obviously didn't know until I had accessed the thread. It would be handy to know before hand.

If any of the site mods know much about PHP/SQL you could probably code a little custom field into the thread title so we could organise threads by location.

Probably wouldn't be much more work than setting up a seperate subforum.

Chris Hurd
September 4th, 2007, 08:56 AM
It boils down to what a person is willing to do when they post... are they willing to look close enough to choose the correct subforum, are they willing to click a drop-down menu to select a thread prefix...

US FS
US WTB
UK FS
UK WTB

etc.

Mike Teutsch
September 4th, 2007, 09:06 AM
It boils down to what a person is willing to do when they post... are they willing to look close enough to choose the correct subforum, are they willing to click a drop-down menu to select a thread prefix...

US FS
US WTB
UK FS
UK WTB

etc.

There are not that many items posted on a daily basis, so maybe separate forums might be a little bit of a waste. And, most people want to see all of them, no matter where they are from.

How about, or is is possible to have an identifier pasted to the beginning of each title? When you start a listing you have to choose an identifier prior to entering the title. Like you said above, US FS, US WTB, UK FS or UK WTB. If there is a way to do it, it would identify each item before you click to view it.

Just a thought. :)

Mike

Chris Hurd
September 4th, 2007, 09:18 AM
That identifier is called a thread prefix and yes it can be implemented fairly easily.

Dave Robinson
September 4th, 2007, 09:45 AM
There are not that many items posted on a daily basis, so maybe separate forums might be a little bit of a waste. And, most people want to see all of them, no matter where they are from.

How about, or is is possible to have an identifier pasted to the beginning of each title? When you start a listing you have to choose an identifier prior to entering the title. Like you said above, US FS, US WTB, UK FS or UK WTB. If there is a way to do it, it would identify each item before you click to view it.

Just a thought. :)

Mike

Yeah all you'd need to do is add a column to the database and a little bit of code to the PHP files and your sorted.

Dave Robinson
October 12th, 2007, 07:47 AM
Until this is implemented would it be possible to add it to a sticky thread at the top just asking people to state their location within the title. UK-WTB for example?

Cheers

Dave

Chris Hurd
October 30th, 2007, 07:21 AM
Done -- see http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=106852