DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Question about a field recorder works in this case. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/537242-question-about-field-recorder-works-case.html)

Greg Miller February 11th, 2020 04:49 PM

Re: Question about a field recorder works in this case.

Ryan: Because the recorder is designed that way. It's possible to convert voltage up and down. Whoever designed this recorder decided to use four cells as a battery pack. They decided to use a 12V power adapter. That's the end of it. I don't know, and don't give a rat's butt, WHY the designer made those choices. It is what it is. Why do some recorders run on 5V, some on 6V, some on 9V, some on 12V? Seemingly arbitrary choices, and it doesn't matter in the least. If you want to research the history of this recorder, call the manufacturer, find out who designed it, call the designer(s) (if they're still alive) and ask them.

The reason those decisions was made is immaterial to solving your problem. Quit asking!

IF your goal is to get that recorder to work with an AC adapter, get the correct adapter, plug it in, and hopefully it will work. If you are just looking for somebody to BS with, I suggest you go down to the corner bar instead of wasting a lot of time here.

Ryan Elder February 11th, 2020 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul R Johnson (Post 1957195)
Batteries do not 'use' power, they provide it! In some designs, when you plug in the power supply, the battery circuit is disconnected - then, as Brian says, the batteries are effectively sitting on the shelf - no drain on them at all. In some other designs, the batteries are still connected, just waiting for the power supply to be disconnected - in this case, the will gradually discharge and become useless. Without a test meter, you won't know which is which. TBH - it doesn't matter.

Oh okay. Well I think in this design the batteries are still connected I am guessing, since it will not take any power from the adapter, if the batteries are not plugged in as well.

Greg Miller February 11th, 2020 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan Elder (Post 1957197)
it will not take any power from the adapter, if the batteries are not plugged in as well.

That would be extremely unusual design. Why do you say that? You've never tried it with the correct AC adapter. It might work fine.

Pete Cofrancesco February 11th, 2020 05:32 PM

Greg Miller February 11th, 2020 05:35 PM

I'm starting to think that Ryan doesn't even have the recorder.

I found some interesting videos when I googled "The Ryan Wray Show youtube."

Josh Bass February 11th, 2020 05:43 PM

(silence as entire forum goes to youtube to search)

Pete Cofrancesco February 11th, 2020 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Miller (Post 1957200)
I'm starting to think that Ryan doesn't even have the recorder.

I found some interesting videos when I googled "The Ryan Wray Show youtube."

Wow yeah so we’ve pretty much been wasting our time. Oh well. I need a drink.

Greg Miller February 11th, 2020 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Cofrancesco (Post 1957202)
Wow yeah so we’ve pretty much been wasting our time.

I've felt that way since I read Ryan's first thread ages ago.

Josh Bass February 11th, 2020 05:59 PM

i have to go to two grocery stores so i cant watch but i have to know. WHATS THE SECRET?

Greg Miller February 11th, 2020 06:02 PM

I can't put it into words but it'll take you less than a minute to watch.

Of course we don't know it's the same Ryan.

Brian Drysdale February 11th, 2020 06:04 PM

Certainly needs some explaining... Obtuse as an act could spring to mind.

Greg Miller February 11th, 2020 06:06 PM

There seems to be a whole series. Maybe all his posts have just been a ploy to get a few more views for the videos.

Josh Bass February 11th, 2020 06:17 PM

Thats one hell of a long con/conspiracy theory gents

Greg Miller February 11th, 2020 06:25 PM

"You can't believe everything you read on the internet."
-- Abraham Lincoln

Gordon Hoffman February 11th, 2020 07:48 PM

Enter this into Google "Saskatoon-based sitcom Four in a Blanket to go live - CBC". I'm guessing this might be him.

Gordon

Josh Bass February 11th, 2020 07:54 PM

NOW this thread is insane.

Ryan Elder February 11th, 2020 08:08 PM

Sorry if I drove the thread out of proportion. I honestly did not mean to do that and actually appreciate the help . Sorry about that.

Well I tried a 12 V adapter, and now the battery indicator, indicates that the power is full. So I guess that means that the problem was the adapter, and not the recorder, therefore?

Greg Miller February 11th, 2020 08:17 PM

Anything is possible. It's the internet after all. The two sets of videos certainly look like two different Ryans.

I tend to think that if our Ryan didn't make "The Ryan Wray Show" we would have heard from him defending himself by now. Ryan the pig looks too normal to be the guy who's been so clueless in this thread.

Pete Cofrancesco February 11th, 2020 09:07 PM

Is too much to ask to ban him?

Josh Bass February 11th, 2020 09:14 PM

I think we're getting a little out of hand here. Without substantial proof (anything mentioned above doesn't get there, for me) I don't think he's a troll. I DO think he's on the autism spectrum and in many ways his thought processes are so unusual to us as to seem unbelievable, literally. Using that as my premise I would urge everyone to remember there's an actual human being on the other end out there somewhere, and just imagine if it was your brother, or son, etc. etc., and have a little empathy/compassion. Even if you never respond again to the threads we can all be a little nicer.

Pete Cofrancesco February 11th, 2020 09:25 PM

With all due respect Josh you don’t know that to be a fact.

Josh Bass February 11th, 2020 09:29 PM

I'm going by what he said.

But, because I have too much time on my hands from being a childless freelancer, I dug a little and IMDB lists Ryan Elder in several credits with people's projects that coincide with...Ryan Wray...namely...Pigs in a Blanket. I believe one of the things he's listed in has a trailer on Youtube (The Big Gust) that has the girl from his Timewine short.

All this leads me to believe he's exactly who and what he says he is. He's mentioned being asked to act in projects so credit to whoever dug up the Pigs sitcom.

Ryan Elder February 12th, 2020 12:08 AM

Sorry if I came off like a troll. I did not mean to troll at all. Perhaps I have been to busy trying to do to many things at once and missed some things with the audio recorder. Sorry about that. And I do appreciate all the great advice I have been given on here. Again thank and sorry if I have been giving a bad impression of myself.

John Nantz February 12th, 2020 12:13 AM

The answer to the question about why a 12V charger is required may be explained in a different way.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Miller (Post 1957132)
Oh, OK. What's happening is that the adapter is wrong for that recorder. It is actually draining the charge out of the batteries, and if you leave it connected they will become lower and lower. The problem is that as you drain the electrons out of the batteries, they will develop a vacuum inside, and eventually they might implode, which could be messy to say the least.

Have you ever pumped up an inner tube in a bicycle tire? The way that is done is to attach the pump to the valve stem and start pumping. The higher pressure from the pump causes the air to flow into the inner tube with a lower air pressure. One keeps doing this until the desired pressure is reached, then at which time one can quit pumping and disconnect the pump.

Charging the batteries is the same way. The higher voltage fills the batteries up until they reach the desired level and then the charger stops. Simple as that.

If the pump has very little pressure it will take a looooong time to fill the batteries ... er, tube, up. So this is how the 12V source inflates the 6V batteries and does it faster than using a lower voltage source.

Edit: one more thought. The suggestion about getting the factory charger is a good one. Others may work but who knows what problems might occur. A 4-year electronics engineer BS EE degree is a really difficult one and often takes longer than the hopeful time the university figures. The designer used little coils, capacitors, resistors, and the like to come up with their little micro circuit to do the job and I'm sure they had other thoughts in mind during the design. One has to factor in the probability of failure in specifying what to use, the cost of the items, and manufacturing costs. All this to give you the best deal.

Okay, order the thingy then go back to coloring walls. g'night.

Ryan Elder February 12th, 2020 12:16 AM

Oh okay thanks, that makes sense. I tried a 12 V adapter and the battery power indicator says it's full now, and operating at full capacity. So I guess it was the previous adapter that was the problem after all then, and not anything in the field recorder it seems?

Greg Miller February 12th, 2020 12:29 AM

That's entirely correct (in a simplified way), and that does apply to a lot of equipment.

However, ironically, it does not apply to this particular recorder.
From the FR2-LE manual, p.21:

"<Notes on using rechargeable Ni-Cd/Ni-MH batteries or a Tamiya battery>
The FR-2LE does not provide battery charging facility. To charge rechargeable Ni-Cd, Ni-MH
batteries or a Tamiya battery, use an appropriate battery charger for the battery type and
follow the instructions of the charger to fully charge batteries."

If we could look at the overall schematic for the unit, we might find a reason why 12V is more convenient than some other voltage would be. But, as I said earlier, the choice of voltage is unrelated to the fact that the recorder wasn't working with the previous AC adapter. And repeatedly asking WHY that voltage was chosen is entirely immaterial to solving the problem ... just a waste of time if your goal is to get it working again.

Ryan Elder February 12th, 2020 12:46 AM

Oh okay, I thought maybe the 12 V vs 6V with batteries possibly held some sort of key to the problem, my mistake.

So now that I have tried a 12V adapter, and the battery indicator on screen says it's full now, does that mean it's working now?

Greg Miller February 12th, 2020 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan Elder (Post 1957225)
Oh okay, I thought maybe the 12 V vs 6V with batteries possibly held some sort of key to the problem, my mistake.

Then why did several of us repeatedly tell you it was NOT related? Obviously you know more about electronics than the rest of us combined.

Ryan Elder February 12th, 2020 12:58 AM

Because a lot of people were saying I need 12V when it only seemed to take 6 from the batteries, so I was wondering why. I thought that that WHY, would help figure out the problem. The 12 V vs. 6V seemed like an inconsistency to me, and if I see an inconsistency, I feel it may be the key to the problem, since if it comes off as an inconsistency.

Greg Miller February 12th, 2020 01:14 AM

I can't imagine why you'd think you know enough about electrical theory that you could figure it out.

Nor can I comprehend why you'd keep asking us when you don't believe us and continually ignore our advice.

Ryan Elder February 12th, 2020 01:19 AM

Oh sorry, I didn't mean to give off the impression that anyone was wrong, I was just trying to look at anything to find out what it could be, that's all. That's why I asked. I wasn't meaning to imply people were wrong. Sorry. I was just not understanding some things about it and had to get some things straight which is why I asked. But all I asked is why does it say 12 when it takes six. That's not saying anyone as wrong, I was just asking to know more.

Paul R Johnson February 12th, 2020 02:20 AM

Ryan has told us a few times that he is on the spectrum, but never explained any particular needs he has - which is a shame as we could probably understand better.

His responses when presented with comments about him personally, is to push it to one side and move on. Sadly, that's not a good coping mechanism when reacting to a text based communication system.

We do tend to be accepting and pretty nice, but it wears thin when he pushes and pushes, and despite saying "OK" actually dismisses good advice in favour of a different solution.

In a way, these huge topics, if edited contain quite a lot of useful stuff when viewed by a third party.

He simply drives us mad after a while and we have to stand in a dark room to recover for a while.

Ryan Elder February 12th, 2020 02:37 AM

Hey sorry about that. Did not intend to drive anyone mad. Perhaps I just try to take in information on all areas to try to solve the problem instead of focusing on the advice in one particular area. Sorry about that. I do sincerely appreciate all the advice and it has been very helpful. I did not intend to come off as trolling, and I'm sorry if I have.

Don Palomaki February 12th, 2020 08:49 AM

Greg: Sorry I missed your humor, a ";-)" might have flagged it for me.

Some serious information for Ryan:
Battery stated voltages are nominal and vary by the type; Alkaline are about 1.5 volts per cell. Li-Ion are about 3.6 volts per cell. NiMH and NiCd are about 1.2 volts per cell. The voltage will vary with the state of charge in the battery. Cells are stacked in a battery to get the output voltage. Thus the typical 7.2 volt consumer video camera battery is usually comprised of 2 Li-Ion cells, or perhaps 6 NiMH or NiCd cells.

A reason you select the battery type in the recorder is to ensure the low battery warning and battery level displays are triggered at the appropriate battery times/voltage. It may serve other purposes as well but that is not obvious from the available documentation.

Why 4 AA batteries (not 6 or 8 or some other number or size), why the 12 volt AC adapter, why the 7.2 volt Li-Ion option? These are design considerations some of which may include:
- how much power will the device need (volts and amps)
- what weight and bulk are users willing to carry (Using D cells would last a lot longer than AAs, but add a lot more weight and bulk. Voltage step-up circuits are smaller and lighter than additional batteries)
- what parts are readily available at what cost. If the mfgr. is already using the 12 volt adapter with other gear it may make sense to use it here as well rather than adding additional adapter types to stock.
- are there regulatory or insurance concerns? Things that plug into the wall outlet (e.g., the wall wart) may need UL, CSA, or CE listing, while the low voltage devices powered by them may not need it. Listings cost so it is more efficient/cost effective to list one wall wart rather than the 10+ things it might be used to power.
- in addition to the UL/CSA/CE listing question, adding built-in ac power capability to a portable device adds cost, bulk, and weight

All this is generally transparent to the end user. Just power and use the gear as intended and be happy in your work.

My gripe is I now have many wall warts of various sizes/ratings that came with gear ranging from recorders to routers to scanners to proc amps to you-name-it. In many cases they are generic and not labeled with the make/model of the device with which they came. I try make it a point to label them when I open the box to help keep them matched to the correct device.

Rick Reineke February 12th, 2020 11:50 AM

"I now have many wall warts of various sizes/ratings that came with gear ranging from recorders to routers to scanners to proc amps to you-name-it. In many cases they are generic and not labeled with the make/model of the device with which they came. I try make it a point to label them when I open the box to help keep them matched to the correct device "

> +11 I write the voltage/amperage and/or the device the wall wart/ line lump belongs to with a paint pen or marker, so I can ID it at a glance, otherwise I usually need a magnifying glass to read the specs,.

Greg Miller February 12th, 2020 11:57 AM

Don:
I hoped that anybody with some knowledge of electronics, and some recollection of the often technical nature of my posts, would realize I couldn't have been serious. An erroneous assumption on my part. Actually if somebody did find a way to "suck the electrons out of the battery" then I guess the whole battery would become positively charged in the sense of static electricity. (I loved playing with a Van de Graaff generator when I was a kid.)

I find a white paint pen is great for marking black wall warts. I don't have one in front of me so I can't tell you the brand, but a decent office supply store should have them.

Paul:
If Ryan is, in fact, "on the spectrum," then I wish someone would have mentioned that earlier in the thread. Not having heard that theory, my perception was that he was being willfully stubborn and intentionally refusing to respond to our specific comments and suggestions. I've seen similar behavior in boys around 6th grade age, being aggressively stubborn in order to defy the teacher. The only other example was an employee who acted that way if he was assigned a task that he didn't want to perform ... and I eventually fired him. Absent any actual medical information, I perceived Ryan's behavior the same way ... being willfully stubborn.

Josh Bass February 12th, 2020 12:09 PM

its come up on other threads and I occasionally feel compelled to remind people.

Rick Reineke February 12th, 2020 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Miller (Post 1957246)
I find a white paint pen is great for marking black wall warts. I don't have one in front of me so I can't tell you the brand, but a decent office supply store should have them.

> Most of the arts and crafts chain stores have paint pens as well. There are usually a variety of tip size an colors to choose from. .. Note: the low cost ones do not work very well, or for very long. So plan on spending 4 or $5 (been down that road already try'n to save a buck or two).
The gold and silver metallic Sharpies are good for writing on dark surfaces as well.

Ryan Elder February 13th, 2020 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Palomaki (Post 1957239)
Greg: Sorry I missed your humor, a ";-)" might have flagged it for me.

Some serious information for Ryan:
Battery stated voltages are nominal and vary by the type; Alkaline are about 1.5 volts per cell. Li-Ion are about 3.6 volts per cell. NiMH and NiCd are about 1.2 volts per cell. The voltage will vary with the state of charge in the battery. Cells are stacked in a battery to get the output voltage. Thus the typical 7.2 volt consumer video camera battery is usually comprised of 2 Li-Ion cells, or perhaps 6 NiMH or NiCd cells.

A reason you select the battery type in the recorder is to ensure the low battery warning and battery level displays are triggered at the appropriate battery times/voltage. It may serve other purposes as well but that is not obvious from the available documentation.

Why 4 AA batteries (not 6 or 8 or some other number or size), why the 12 volt AC adapter, why the 7.2 volt Li-Ion option? These are design considerations some of which may include:
- how much power will the device need (volts and amps)
- what weight and bulk are users willing to carry (Using D cells would last a lot longer than AAs, but add a lot more weight and bulk. Voltage step-up circuits are smaller and lighter than additional batteries)
- what parts are readily available at what cost. If the mfgr. is already using the 12 volt adapter with other gear it may make sense to use it here as well rather than adding additional adapter types to stock.
- are there regulatory or insurance concerns? Things that plug into the wall outlet (e.g., the wall wart) may need UL, CSA, or CE listing, while the low voltage devices powered by them may not need it. Listings cost so it is more efficient/cost effective to list one wall wart rather than the 10+ things it might be used to power.
- in addition to the UL/CSA/CE listing question, adding built-in ac power capability to a portable device adds cost, bulk, and weight

All this is generally transparent to the end user. Just power and use the gear as intended and be happy in your work.

My gripe is I now have many wall warts of various sizes/ratings that came with gear ranging from recorders to routers to scanners to proc amps to you-name-it. In many cases they are generic and not labeled with the make/model of the device with which they came. I try make it a point to label them when I open the box to help keep them matched to the correct device.

Oh okay thanks. Actually a guy I know showed me large heavy battery he has and said I could plug it into the adapter port, and then if I am out in the field, with no power plug in options just use this larger external battery so it doesn't go dead near as often as the AAs. This battery he has measures at 12V exactly, for the adapter port. Would that be a be a good idea to use this larger battery while outside, if it's 12V as well?

Paul R Johnson February 13th, 2020 03:41 PM

I suppose it depends in how heavy the battery is, how easy it is to charge and how you will carry it. 12V is an odd voltage for a cell. 13.8V is more common, but as long as you can charge it, and the connector is secure. Sounds useful. Is it running time on the 1.5V cells that is worrying you?