Zoom F3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old January 31st, 2023, 01:25 PM   #1
Trustee

Zoom F3

Out of curiosity, has anyone tried the Zoom F3? (The search engine isn't working for me today.)

I'd be curious to hear your comments.

Thanks!
Greg Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2023, 10:57 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Zoom F3

It's ideal for unattended event work where you don't want your audio to clip.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2023, 11:16 AM   #3
Trustee

Thanks, Pete. I appreciate your feedback. I was hoping a few more voices would be heard, at least from folks who had tried the F3 and did not find any reason to dislike it.

How much extra work is created, in post, adjusting the recorded levels to the desired "standard" levels? Just one quick step, I'm guessing ...
Greg Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2023, 03:04 AM   #4
Major Player

Be warned that the Zoom F3 lacks 24bit, and is awkward to use with TC, plus is only two channels.

Those factors means it is completely ruled out ever being for professional use for my purposes as a Sound Mixer.
Old February 21st, 2023, 11:27 AM   #5
Inner Circle

The Zoom F3 may not have a 24 bit mode, but according to specs, it does offer FP32 (floating point 32 bit), which is basically impossible to digitally clip. Of coarse that does not prevent overloading the mics or the analog input stage. It is also necessary to have a NLE or DAW that can take advantage of FP32 bit and eventually convert to the 24 bit.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2023, 08:45 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Peterson View Post
Be warned that the Zoom F3 lacks 24bit, and is awkward to use with TC, plus is only two channels.

Those factors means it is completely ruled out ever being for professional use for my purposes as a Sound Mixer.
The whole point of the F3 is to record with no input from user and not worry about levels at all. I use when I record video so I do not have to worry about levels to get a clean recording. Works very well. I use one input for my Rode NT2 and the other line from the theatre sound board. I only have to check that it is actually recording and has power. There is a lock so that one cannot accidentally stop etc. I am sure for someone recording audio as their job something like the F8n Pro is a better choice.
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2023, 09:51 AM   #7
Inner Circle

I recently bought the Zoom F3 and will be using it to record stage performances left unattended for remote mics and sound boards that are too far away from the camera to run a cable. This weekend I've got a musical using it to record two floor mics at the front of the stage.

Here are some minor drawbacks:

1. No 1/8 or 1/4 input jacks. Not a big deal you can use xlr adapters but would be nice.

2. The interface is a little clunky and time consuming to change some settings.

3. No built in Bluetooth Wireless control. You have to pay an additional $40 for a usb adapter. This enables phone app to start/stop and provides a better interface settings and monitor that it's recording (see wave forms but not hear it). Only downside is it has 30ft range, if the connection is broken I believe it won't reconnect unless restarted.

4. Powered by two AA batteries with decent runtime but I wouldn't be comfortable leaving for more than an hour with phantom powered mics. It can also be powered via usb-c which is how I will use it.

5. Timecode is possible but you need to pair it with a specific device. I don't use timecode but if it's important to your work flow it might not be right for you.

6. It's not obvious when it is recording. On a tiny black/white screen Rec and a icon next to it turns from a circle to a square. I also don't like the sliding latch instead of a standard record button but I understand it's design to prevent inadvertent presses.

7. It records to one source, a micro usb card that I hate. I'm going to use the usb c port to import recording instead of dealing with a micro usb card.

Overall I'm very happy with the quality of the preamps, the tiny form factor, and the ability to record 32bit takes the worry out of setting levels for live events. It isn't meant to replace a quality field mixer but does its narrow job well.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio