Circular Polarizing Filter for XA40, XA60 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders
For the Canon XA25, XA20, XA10 and all VIXIA / LEGRIA Series AVCHD camcorders.

Old December 7th, 2022, 05:10 AM   #1
New Boot

Circular Polarizing Filter for XA40, XA60

I'm looking for a circular polarizing filter that will fit under the lens hood of my Canon XA60. Lens diameter and hood are identical to the XA30-XA40.

I'm also looking for ND2-ND8 filters that will also work with the Canon lens hood.
John Molli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2022, 12:04 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Circular Polarizing Filter for XA40, XA60

John - thanks for the good question.

Will try to give some input before the post disappears from the “recent” list. Can’t speak for the cam & lens shade option, nor the “price/quality” range; pretty much only what worked for me.

First off, fit requirement aside [don’t have any hands-on knowledge of the cam], selection of a filter is, to some extent, a bit like selecting a wine; there are opinions. At least by the fervent wine drinkers.

Secondly, my selection criteria included trying to make sure that the filter I got was a “genuine” product. There are counterfeits out there. Also, it is possible that various “tests”, reviews, or opinions by others may include counterfeits when comparisons are made. Think genuine [enter manufacturers name] SD cards, batteries, etc. In my case, trying to sift through all the on-line resources was difficult.

Finally, with regard to brand, some of my old favorite brands were treated with some skepticism due to recent years of counterfeits and changes in manufacturing (new technology and/or scientific testing capabilities) and the market place.

Cost/Benefit is usually a consideration. Customer communication ‘support’ +1 (877) 762-8427 Chloe & Cassie (sp?) was a factor that helped to sway me a bit. The X4 series uses Schott glass while the X1 and X2 uses Japanese glass (at the time).

After a lot of on-line research (Nobody locally to talk to), wound up going with a “Breakthrough Photography” model. Not the cheapest. Not a best-bang-for-the-buck, either. Just liked what I read (on balance, by comparison with other brands), and also like being able to talk to the brand representative.

The threads worked for me, liked the thin-ness of the ring, the glass, etc. Also got a few other filters and step-up and a step-down ring adapters (brass).

If one has a good filter for the main cam and the cam has the largest filter size, an adapter ring can be used to put the filter on the cam with a smaller filter size (after checking for vignetting or adjusting the focal length). This way one can rationalize spending more for the filter (that was part of my rational, but as they say, your mileage may vary). Also, a filter tends to have a long life expectancy compared to a cam or some kit items so less annual depreciation.

Had to do some research but it appears (not verified) the XA-60 takes a 58 mm filter.
Hope this helps a bit.
Curious what others have to say.
John Nantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2022, 06:52 AM   #3
Wrangler

Re: Circular Polarizing Filter for XA40, XA60

The back of the XA60/65 manual lists optional accessories including a couple filters.

FWIW I was able to mount a 58mm HOYA NDX4 filter under the factory hood of my XA20 and XA10, so at least one normal thickness filter will fit. I don't have a 58mm polarizer to try. (They might have thicker mounts.) If necessary you could by an aftermarket hood to use with a filter stack.

Canon offers a 58mm CP filter (not cheap). Some of the NYC resellers list it.

Keep in mind that the filter also effects the light reaching the IAF sensor so its functioning may be impaired by adding a filter.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders