Battery died suddenly, video file corrupt at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old June 5th, 2022, 03:56 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Battery died suddenly, video file corrupt

Today my camcorder (sony fdr ax100) battery died suddenly in the middle of recording. After I put in another battery, the camcorder asked if I wanted to recover the file and I said yes.

The recovered file is damaged and unplayable. I tried a couple of mp4 repair tools and was able to recover only half of the file.

When a camcorder battery dies suddenly (perhaps low quality battery), do some camcorder leave behind more recoverable video files, or are they all equally difficult to recover? Does the file format or the media used have any impact?
Peter Wu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2022, 05:08 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Battery died suddenly, video file corrupt

Sorry to hear hopefully it wasn’t too important.

The short answer MKV is the only format I can think of. The screen capturing software I use defaults to this format instead of mp4 for this very reason.

There is no substitute for a second recording source be that an Atomos or a second camera. For live events I always have a second camera in case of a catastrophic failure.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2023, 07:15 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I know I may be late on replying to this. I did find any video converter good at getting a video file back to play state and would be worth a shot if you still have the video file.

I had one from sony Z5 with MR1 just before covid caused all the trouble it did.
Tony McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2023, 04:17 PM   #4
Equal Opportunity Offender

This is a service that is able to recover from icky corrupted professional (and domestic) file formats. You can even preview the missing video content before you commit to having it repaired.

https://aeroquartet.com/

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition