Streaming using an old Sony FX1 camera or going with a Reflex? Info about the Grabber at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Streaming A View
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Streaming A View
Hardware, software, technique and workflow for live video streaming.

Old May 3rd, 2021, 09:47 AM   #1
Trustee

Streaming using an old Sony FX1 camera or going with a Reflex? Info about the Grabber

Hallo,

This is the first time i record a sport match for streaming pourposes. I'm starting telling you i'm thinking to use the HDV camcorder cause the zoom but the problem is that my camera is an old Sony HDV sony FX1 with firewire and HD out cables. The other option is my reflex Nikon D7100 who has HDMI out. The Pc i'll find at the court will be a mac with Usb and Thunderbolt Port. The software will be OBS. I heard that i'll find issues with files coming out from the camera and the reflex and a good option would be a "Grabber/Box" that will handle the files before the get inside the pc. The main issue chosing the FX1 is that i should evn buy a converter from HDV to HDMI (Any suggestion of box in that case?)
With my hardware what kind of suggestions could you give me? I'm in a low budget search solution

Many thanks for taking time to help me
Marcus Martell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2021, 12:03 PM   #2
Wrangler

Re: Streaming using an old Sony FX1 camera or going with a Reflex? Info about the Gra

I think the FX-1 has component video output and even uses the same cable as the EX-1. I understand those cables may be hard to find if you don't already have one though. As I recall, the FX-1 will provide pretty good quality HD this way, I remember people were using component capture devices with the Z-1 and FX-1 in the past. Not sure whether this approach avoids the HDV compression, seems to me that it might, which is why people were capturing from the component outputs. However, I believe the sensors in the FX-1 are not full HD (1080 x 1440, IIRC) so you will always have that limitation and I believe it is only interlaced video.

I have an inexpensive component to HDMI converter called a "Sewell Midas Component to HDMI with Upscaling Technology". Sewell doesn't seem to carry these anymore, but they may be available elsewhere, some appear if you do a Google search. I'm sure there are other companies who make similar inexpensive devices. It's just a box with RCA inputs for component video and an HDMI outlet.

I only used this device briefly to connect an old Sony HDV deck to a monitor that only had HDMI and it seemed to work well for that. As for the rest - sorry, there are others here that know much more about that!
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2021, 02:54 PM   #3
Trustee

Re: Streaming using an old Sony FX1 camera or going with a Reflex? Info about the Gra

Boyd how are you?
Glad to hear from you after all these years. First of all thank you for giving me your opinion. The Fx1 records in 1440 x 1080 and yes it's interlaced! I have the original cables and today i ordered this converter

I'll wait for the streaming part other suggestions:)
Once again thank you
Marcus Martell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2021, 04:52 AM   #4
Wrangler

Thanks Marcus, all is well here but not doing much video these days. That box looks very similar to mine. Hope your project goes well!
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Streaming A View