Just got an HPX300 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old August 30th, 2013, 05:41 PM   #1
Space Hipster

Just got an HPX300

I wanted a shoulder mount cam again, with SDI out and timecode I-O, and since I had P2 cards and batteries from my old HPX500, the 300 fits the bill. I really wanted that AVC-Intra codec. Only 205 hours on it, it's in like new shape.
I would have preferred a 370, but I got a pretty good deal on the 300.
I know it may have noise and skew problems. I'm just going to have to work around that. If I need a low light cam, I'll pull out my FS100.
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2013, 12:10 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Just got an HPX300

congrats Glen. New or new to you...sounds like you're enjoying it !

Myles
Myles Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2013, 02:14 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Hooray! Somebody who has recognised that a shoulder mount camera, with proper facilities, excellent pictures and a practical design beats tiny buttons, compromised design and after-market workarounds.

Everyone bangs on about sensor size and umpteen K resolution. Humbug!

A friend of mine has persistently defended this range of cameras since they came out, and I've specified them in quite a few quotes.

The images I have seen from them make me have no qualms at all. Sure - there are the usual sensor comments from people who don't have them, but owners are always happy with them. I nearly bought a 301 (the UK version) and then the 371, after strong recommendations from a friend - but in the end, like you - the exceptional deal came around and I bought two JVC 1/3" which I'm happy with. Had the extra funds been in the bank, I would have preferred the Panasonics, but it wasn't to be.

I noted Philip Bloom really liked them too. For my work and my budget, I reckon you made a good choice.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2013, 05:49 AM   #4
Space Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myles Williams View Post
congrats Glen. New or new to you...sounds like you're enjoying it !

Myles
The camera is new to me, but it has such low hours, it looks brand new. I mean, it's spotless!

I've been looking for a camera to compliment my FS100. Many of my clients still prefer a power zoom lens camera, and aren't at all concerned with shallow depth of field. I like the broadcast codec and pro connections. I'm happy to have a timecode in/out again!
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2013, 11:56 AM   #5
Trustee

Best camera I have ever owned and only surpassed by the 2/3' chip hpx3700.

The skew and noise are only a problem at 24p and whilst the 370 claimed a new chip it actually only added a PAP filter that caused even more problems.

I still have my original 301 and it is still under warranty but I did also see a 371 on e-bay this week for less than £4k inc batteries charger and case.

I have shot SD, HD Pal and ntsc on this camera and have done everything from corporate and news to full cinema drama and a promo for the CTBF that was shown at the premier of skyfall and tinker tailor!

You bought a cracking camera there and if you need any profiles I have SD and HD BBC ones as well as others but read Alan Roberts report to see how good this camera is for the money.

Ok its 1/3" chip so no huge shallow DOF but it is better to shoot wide open or less than f5.6 anyway to get the best put of it and the AVC Intra 100 10 bit 4:2:2 codec is as good as it gets for broadcast !
Old October 7th, 2020, 01:58 PM   #6
Trustee

Ha ha and here I am in 2020 and have just bought another HPX371 as it was as new and going very reasonable at £1400.

Still love this camera and it works great in the pandemic of producing on-line video etc.

Also got a P2 USB reader for £50 and now using this software to transcode all my media to ultra fast SSD : https://www.divergentmedia.com/editready

Video and editing back to being more of a hobby now as I am a staff sound supervisor at SKY TV in the UK but still enjoying shooting with my two HPX and plan to do more community and charity TV projects when I retire from full time broadcast.

Hope all good with everyone and take care!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders