New Guy with a JVC GZ-MS120RU at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series

JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series
JVC's Everio Series 3CCD High Definition MPEG2 camcorders.

Old November 12th, 2015, 10:49 AM   #1
New Boot

New Guy with a JVC GZ-MS120RU

Hi All,

Gots lots of questions, First thing I want to transfer all my 8mm home movies to digital and get them into my iMovie to edit.

I pretty much know how to set up the projector and camcorder and adjust the speed to get rid of flicker etc, but how do I kill the sound in the camcorder? There must be a way to record the film without the sound of the projector.

Also I still do not have a clue to work iMovie I will ask more on that later
Bill Kubiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2015, 06:17 PM   #2
New Boot

Re: New Guy with a JVC GZ-MS120RU

Wow over 80 views and so far no one knows how to kill the sound in the camera.
Old November 14th, 2015, 08:45 PM   #3
Trustee

Just did a search with regard to iMovie and this is a link the “Support Communities” section might be of interest: https://www.apple.com/support/mac-apps/imovie/

It’s almost a guarantee that one would be able to edit the volume of the audio track in post so if nothing else, the projector sound could be adjusted out there. As an editorial comment, if there is any voice-over it may be nice to have a very low level of the projector sound in the background for ambiance. After all, everybody will know the movie is vintage and that can just add a little.

Also, appears that in iMovie one can add a second audio track (and maybe more tracks). This way the projector sound can be on one track and everything else, like voice-over or music, can be on another track, or tracks. If the projector sound is retained the volume will be able to be adjusted up and down as needed in it’s sound track.

Recommend perusing the iMovie web link above and see what others have posted.

Another thought is to intersperse some of the video clips with a few photos you mentioned in another post if that would help tie things together or make it more interesting.

Audio is an important part of video so it’s worth spending some time on.

Hope this helps provide some food for thought.
John Nantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2015, 09:54 AM   #4
New Boot

Thank you for the three great tips, first for the link to the help I need and second for the idea of ambient projector sound in the background and third for interspersing pictures between clips, Great ideas.

I just bought a Kodak 570 photo scanner on eBay, so next week when it arrives I can start scanning, today the wife and her sister are gonna be dragging me kicking and screaming to the apple store to get the new
iphones, be a good time to learn more about iMovie while there.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Kubiak; November 15th, 2015 at 12:53 PM.
Old November 15th, 2015, 12:54 PM   #5
New Boot

Apple store trip cancelled, it is raining and the girls are feeling ill, next week I guess, might even be better deals next weekend
Old November 15th, 2015, 05:47 PM   #6
Trustee

Search the Internet for “iMovie Ken Burns effect” to include pictures in with the video.

Books: Start a library (preferably, or last choice, check out from the library):
for starters …..

Movie Making Course: Principles, Practice, and Techniques: The Ultimate Guide for the Aspiring Filmmaker, Chris Patmore c 2005 by Quarto Inc., Barron's Educational Series, Hauppauge NY. 144 pages, paperback. The main sections are: Before You Start, The Shoot, Post-Production, Projects, and Getting It Seen. The sections are broken down into subsections like an outline. Lots of fancy color pictures and diagrams. Basically an overview and summary of the movie making process. 8-3/4" W x 8-1/8”*H
A really great overview of the entire process in very short segments.

Before you start, Script Writing, Directing, Shooting (aka, the story is king)
Tales From The Script, a DVD, Library # 808.23, non-fiction. This is a very interesting DVD about script writing, script writers, and their opinions, with an emphasis on how the script story fits into the movie, and also how some directors and producers under-rate or even misuse the script. Very interesting.

Since you’re stuck with the previously taken movies, this one would also good for “editing video that doesn’t suck”:
How to Shoot Video that Doesn’t Suck, Steve Stockman, c 2011, paperback 248 pages. Library 777.6 “Like two years of film school in 248 pages” says Steven Pressffield. *Other quotes:*“How do you shoot video somebody else will want to watch?” *and*“Steve is one of the smartest media inds in the game. This book is the perfect gift for any would-be filmmaker.” Whether you’re filming a child’s birthday party, business promo, video for what ever, this book will help you make it better.*
77 Ways to make your video better NOW! Including: Entertain or die, Make every picture tell a story, why a bit of planning makes all the difference, Keep your shots under 10 seconds long, Your video should always be shorter than you think, etc…..

For annotating your silent movies:
Voice-Over Voice Actor, Yuri Lowenthal and Tara Platt, ©2009, 253 pages, paperback. Library #791.4023 The cover says you will discover: The ins and outs of auditioning, vocal warm-ups and*exercises, tips for reading copy, etc. Book is strong on how to get VO gigs but not as much on the part I would want for doing VO on my own video. A fun read with a few cartoons.

Lastly, go by yourself an iMovie book.

Remember, the story is king (make every picture tell a story) and, it’s been said, audio is 2/3rds of good video.
John Nantz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC Everio GZ-HD and GZ-HM Series