Best Quick Release for Glidecam 2000/4000 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)

Old December 19th, 2009, 04:35 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Best Quick Release for Glidecam 2000/4000

Hello,
I'm looking for a quick release plate for my glidecam 2000. What are people using? Is the Manfrotto 577 a good choice? Will the release handle on the left side operate and how does the quick release plate attach to the glidecam plate?
Annen James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2009, 10:10 PM   #2
Inner Circle

the 577 base plate attaches simply by using either a 1/4x20 or 3/8-16 whatever the glidecam stage plate has. I think it's a 1/4x20-pretty standard size.

The tightening lever is on the right side of the base plate and the release button is on the left. I use the 577 on my monopod and DVmultirig (have for years) and it works just fine.
Old February 7th, 2010, 01:37 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I have the manfrotto tripod, 503 head. And at first I bought the 357 QR but discovered it didn't work for my head. Had to return it and pay an extra $20 to move up to the 577 QR.

Depending on your tripod but with mine I BARELY have enough room. Because of my camera (the 7D) I get maybe a 1/4 turn. Luckily that is enough and it took me a good 1/2 hr to figure out and tweek it just right. But having said that, I just came back from a shoot yesterday using the QR between glidecam and tripod and it was great! I couldn't imagine not using one!
Tim Kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2010, 08:24 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I was just going to ask this question, I just got a used Glidecam 4000 Pro and am having problems getting a decent grip on the camera through the plate (the screw always loosens and the camera starts slipping around. Nightmarish as setting the glidecam up already is, I'm looking for a quick release head to get rid of both problems. So is the Manfrotto 577 ideal and is it the only thing I will need between the camera and the plate on the Glidecam?
Sverrir Fridriksson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2010, 02:33 PM   #5
Trustee

577 was my choice way back when i was flying z1 on Glidecam , and still is now with EX1 and 5Dmkii on pilot, crane sliders and tripods,
the only thing I would add - is a gaffer tape between camera and plate and between adapter and mounting surface.
Old May 1st, 2010, 09:46 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sverrir Fridriksson View Post
I was just going to ask this question, I just got a used Glidecam 4000 Pro and am having problems getting a decent grip on the camera through the plate (the screw always loosens and the camera starts slipping around. Nightmarish as setting the glidecam up already is, I'm looking for a quick release head to get rid of both problems. So is the Manfrotto 577 ideal and is it the only thing I will need between the camera and the plate on the Glidecam?
Yea, if you haven't figured it out by now you'll need to tighten it before you screw it onto the QR. Place it on the Stedi without screwing down anything and slowly start to dial it in.

Sorry if this seems vague and cryptic but it's been a couple months. The positive news is it works great. I really like the glidcam too, can use it anywhere! And trust me i've taken it to some busy places and got that super stedi shot where a where a full stedicam would just stick out.

Once I've set it up the system is great. Since the whole system is based on weight and where it's kept, i've made it a standard that I line up the plate on my camera and slide it so the back of the plate and QR are flush. This way I know i'm very close to my center of gravity and i'm just a small adjustment away if anything.

I also only use my wide angle lens on this. Haven't had a need to shoot any long lens with this yet. Plus I like the fact I have it balanced for this and other lenses would change its CG.

ALso check out the video on youtube about balancing, it was informative and helped me out a lot

It does work but with so much in the DSLR field requires a little bit of innovation to figure out the way to make it work for you
Tim Kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2010, 02:45 PM   #7
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Kay View Post
Yea, if you haven't figured it out by now you'll need to tighten it before you screw it onto the QR. Place it on the Stedi without screwing down anything and slowly start to dial it in.

Sorry if this seems vague and cryptic but it's been a couple months. The positive news is it works great. I really like the glidcam too, can use it anywhere! And trust me i've taken it to some busy places and got that super stedi shot where a where a full stedicam would just stick out.

Once I've set it up the system is great. Since the whole system is based on weight and where it's kept, i've made it a standard that I line up the plate on my camera and slide it so the back of the plate and QR are flush. This way I know i'm very close to my center of gravity and i'm just a small adjustment away if anything.

I also only use my wide angle lens on this. Haven't had a need to shoot any long lens with this yet. Plus I like the fact I have it balanced for this and other lenses would change its CG.

ALso check out the video on youtube about balancing, it was informative and helped me out a lot

It does work but with so much in the DSLR field requires a little bit of innovation to figure out the way to make it work for you
Tim's solution for setting up the QR is what I use as well. Here's the video that I used to learn how to set up the QR. Look near the end of the video:

LensRentals.com - Glidecam Setup

Good luck,
David
David Nguyen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)