7D killed the A1... for me at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old January 19th, 2010, 03:53 PM   #1
Regular Crew

7D killed the A1... for me

Well, I bought my 7D thinking it would only be used along side my A1 and never as my only camera, but after getting it, I never picked up the A1 again. So i sold it and bought more lenses.

This was the big question for me when i was first buying it (to keep the A1 or sell it) and I have now 100% answered that question.
This video was the first thing I made with my 7D. 90-95% of the shots were shot with the 7D, the other 5% was from the A1 before I got the 7D

So here is my line of work + the Canon 7D
A.J. Aguirre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2010, 04:17 PM   #2
Major Player

Good job Chris. It's no brainer really, as you so ably demonstrated.
Old January 19th, 2010, 04:44 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam Hall View Post
Good job Chris. It's no brainer really, as you so ably demonstrated.
It really is a no brainer, but so many people told me to KEEP the A1 and now I want anyone in the same boat that I was in to know that everything and more is possible with the 7D, granted you know how to operate the camera well. I should have sold the A1 from the get-go!
Old January 19th, 2010, 05:19 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Enjoy - this camera is truly revolutionary. But it also comes with some big limitations. As long as those don't interfere with your work...then have fun shooting away :)
Tim Kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2010, 05:33 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Very well put, Someone just needs to make a sticky thread that gets straight to the point with the hard fact limitations.
Old January 19th, 2010, 07:23 PM   #6
Major Player

Pro's & Con's of switching to SLRs for wedding video.

There is this thread in the wedding/events forum. Maybe not in this thread but in another thread one DSLR'er had a customer complain because things were "out of focus"--sort of funny--which points out that what pro's think is great may not be viewed as great by the customer who pays the bills. As for dumping the A1, from what I've read also, you probably have to dump the A1 because you brain will be overloaded operating the DSLR. In any case,I wouldn't mind having one!
Galen Rath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2010, 08:36 PM   #7
Inner Circle

What sorts of stabilizers or other support gear did you use for the shots in this clip?
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2010, 11:07 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galen Rath View Post
There is this thread in the wedding/events forum. Maybe not in this thread but in another thread one DSLR'er had a customer complain because things were "out of focus"--sort of funny--which points out that what pro's think is great may not be viewed as great by the customer who pays the bills. As for dumping the A1, from what I've read also, you probably have to dump the A1 because you brain will be overloaded operating the DSLR. In any case,I wouldn't mind having one!
haha that pretty much made my day, thats funny yet so true, but ehhhh id have to respectfully disagree on the overloaded brain part
Old January 20th, 2010, 12:17 PM   #9
Inner Circle

It really comes down to the documentary/realistic look vs. the artistic/romantic look. If the customer is a hard-headed type, they might just want to document the event, showing every last boring moment in fine focus. If the customer is soft-hearted, they might prefer the romantic experience.

To me, it makes sense to be able to deliver either look. Just show both styles to the customer and let them choose. If they can't decide, do both and charge double!
Old January 20th, 2010, 01:08 PM   #10
Trustee

I love the look of my 7d ( as well as my letus extreme) and what it can do. But there's no way I would sell my A1 or my h1, until Canon comes out with a new rig. Like John said, different customers/ jobs demand different approaches. I did a low budget commercial shoot yesterday with several locations, testimonials, set ups and challenging audio. I used the XLH1 with the wa hd lens, a wireless lav, couple of lights, and got evrything done quickly- no fuss, no muss. Would i have gotten a nicer look with my Letus extreme, or 7d? Definately. Did I have the time to use a seperate audio recorder , and deal with the other ergonomic issues? No way.
I also do some multicamera event shoots, and the 7d wouldn't work in those situations.

I am trying to refine my 7d set up, and make it more usable in the field or at a wedding. i recently got the Genus rail system, and am using my multirig pro as a shoulder/pod mount. I oredered a rode videomic and will try using it with my Edirol r-09, once I figure out how to attach it toi the shoulder rig.

Bruce yarock
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2010, 01:31 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Shaw View Post
What sorts of stabilizers or other support gear did you use for the shots in this clip?
all 100% handheld, except for the obvious dolly track shots, those were shot with a dolly I made myself
Old January 21st, 2010, 01:30 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Sweeeet film! Have to ask what is that 4-wheeler he is riding? Looks like a golf cart on steroids!

I'll definitely hold on to the A1s even though it has not seen the light of day in awhile. There are many areas the A1s will excel whereas the 7d may be more of a hinder. Seems like different tools for different jobs. Was filming in a recording studio last week and the 7d dominated in low light performance with L primes. If only the 7d had better audio capabilities.
Sylus Harrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2010, 01:35 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylus Harrington View Post
Sweeeet film! Have to ask what is that 4-wheeler he is riding? Looks like a golf cart on steroids!

I'll definitely hold on to the A1s even though it has not seen the light of day in awhile. There are many areas the A1s will excel whereas the 7d may be more of a hinder. Seems like different tools for different jobs. Was filming in a recording studio last week and the 7d dominated in low light performance with L primes. If only the 7d had better audio capabilities.
Its a kawasaki Terex, and the time lapse part they put much better suspension on it so they could do all that sweet stuff!

and yes yes, everyone does definitely have there reasons to keep the A1, and you definitely do! im just hoping anyone who will be doing stuff like mine can realize what the possibilities are with this amazing piece of a camera, it truelly is a game changing camera, atleast the way I see it, It may not be the god of film right now but its definitely a strong start to a promising future
Old January 22nd, 2010, 10:49 AM   #14
Major Player

I love it, god these cams produce such incredible images.

I do wonder about something though. I feel like I see some stuttering in there, anyone else see that? I can see it pretty clearly in the intro sequence? Maybe it's Vimeo?
Old January 22nd, 2010, 10:57 AM   #15
Regular Crew

yea man, im pretty sure thats just vimeo, because I would have noticed it when I was editing it and it was all smooth for sure
A.J. Aguirre is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD