Voice recorders - new at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old July 19th, 2007, 11:46 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Voice recorders - new

Well, I'm debating on getting another G2 system from sennheiser or going to a nice voice recorder.

When I called Sennheiser recently, they told me that my area was difficult for wireless due to the tv station power. My G2 system has been hit or miss it seems, so I was thinking of going to a voice recorder. I found the one below which looks pretty nice. I was just posting to get opinions on it or other ideas.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Portable.html
Old July 19th, 2007, 12:11 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Or I guess I could step up to a a system like http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...arch&Q=*&bhs=t
Old July 19th, 2007, 12:20 PM   #3
Inner Circle

So, Sennehiser wireless mics are a problem in Richmond, Va?

I can't imagine that Richmond has worse RF problems than Balt or DC.

Do you have TV stations on all six consecutive channels?

Ther sets come in four frequency ranges.I'm going to guess yours is Range A, which is fairly crowded in Richmond. Range B (626-662MHz) is a lot better. Range C (740-776) looks pretty open. Range D (830-866) I don't know about.

So if you bought a Range A system, whoever sold it to you should have asked where you were. When you told them Richmond, VA, they should NOT have sold you Range A. Range B should work a lot better.

Regardless, the PITA recording to a remote medium and syncing to you video still doesn't necessarily solve your problem unless everyone is going hardwired with their own recorder and that, my friend, sound like a huge heradache in postproduction.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2007, 12:58 PM   #4
Major Player

FWIW, I use Groups A and B all over the country (but not VA, sorry) and always manage to find open freqs. Always check your RX freq for activity before turning on your TX...the auto scan feature on the RX can help you with this...

I believe Group D is not for use in USA (even though it overlaps a few upper US channels), and although Group C is (and fairly open now...) this will change after the DigitalTV only transition in 2009. The 700 Mhz plan is going to change radically, and buying into Group C now could leave you in a range of a lot of interference, or worse TXing there illegally. Time will tell...

Of course with TV channels bunching up after the '09 switch, there's no guarantee that there wil be open channels in A or B either, as DTV doesn't have to leave a blank channel in-between stations like analog TV does.
Greg Bellotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2007, 01:34 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Ty, Greg

I got the system from BHPHOTO, the 500 range. Here's the kicker, I had been having issue even with 4 free channels on the scan. So I called Sennheiser and explained what was going on. They told me that even if I have 4 free channels, on Bank 3, that I might still have interferance. They , Sennheiser, told me to use Bank 6. All the while I'm thinking, what the heck good is scanning if 4 free channels doesn't mean 'free.' Sigh. Thus my decision to look into a system that could partner with my G2 system.

Today I called Lectrosonics to verify what the BHPHOTO dude said today. Lectrosonics told me to try and get a 100 series system from them that is on Block 22, and wouldn't you know it, they're out of stock.

Richmond's a beast Ty, it's crazy. Feel free to drop in if you're ever in the area and we can do some scanning. :}
Old July 19th, 2007, 01:50 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Thanks Steven,

If I get down there, I'll reach out if I have time.

Group A defintitely looked thick. But B looked pretty promising. You're sure it's TV stations?

Most wireless will wander a bit in time. Have you had them long enough to need a tweek?
Like maybe 3 years?

Regards,

Ty
Old July 19th, 2007, 02:17 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Hmmm, I think I've had this system just over a year. My wife points out that a lot of our problems with the mic have been out doors. So, I'm still hacking away at the idea. Thanks for your continual ideas.
Old July 19th, 2007, 02:23 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Out of doors would indicate some sort of airborn hooey.

Which group do you have A, B, C or D?

Ty Ford
Old July 19th, 2007, 03:37 PM   #9
Major Player

Steven,

You've stumbled onto one of the (many) reasons I think the 500 series is worth the extra coin. The 100's have eight banks of 4 channels for only 32 presets out of a possible 1440 freqs. That's an incredibly small sampling IMO. The 500's have eight banks of 20 presets, so more places to scan. You can use all of the 1440 possibilities, even on the 100 series by going to the user bank, bank "U". In this bank you can store any 4 freqs of your choosing. The key would be spending a little time to find four that are open, and storing them for later use...
Old July 19th, 2007, 03:43 PM   #10
Major Player

Steven,

While I'm thinking about it...try this freq chart from sennheiser...

http://www.sennheiserusa.com/newsite...VIRGINIAew.PDF

If it's acurate (many times they aren't) it would indicate that any freq between 518-530, or 536-548 Mhz will prob not be usable due to TV stations broadcasting in that spectrum. If you are using channels in these ranges, they might be working fine indoors. Your building could be preventing the interference while inside, but you would get more interference while outdoors. Always check for free channels *WHERE* you will be using the mics.
Old July 19th, 2007, 07:00 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Make sure your pilot tone is on.
Brooks Harrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2007, 07:36 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Well, my mic is 518-544MHz, which is what Sennheiser says is the best for my area.

I was running with my pilot off because I've heard mixed results with it, but I'll give it a whirl with it on, we'll see how it goes.

As for the free channels, I can scan for channels, come up with 4 free and then still get dropouts. I'm giving this thing one more whirl, then if it fails, I'll step up in my mic, probably to a lectrosonic.

Sennheiser sent me this chart www.audiopark.net/sec_beta I used it called them about teh 700 freq, eheh, they told me that that was being actioned off by the FCC. I doubt I have the dough. :}
Old July 21st, 2007, 05:04 AM   #13
Wrangler

Regarding the original question, I just got this.

While lacking many features of the higher end recorders (including playback), it is interesting in that it records via USB, i.e. pocket drive or even iPod. 5 levels of recording quality up to WAV. Supplied mike is useless for all but voice/memo dictation, but can take an external mike (or line inputs, including turntable pre-amp!). Interface is clunky but gets the job done. And a price leader around $135. So far it has worked perfectly the few times I've used it.
Old July 21st, 2007, 06:04 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Steven,

That's just plain nuts. No Wonder! Look at the chart! In Richmond you have four out of six blocks covered by TV stations in that range. Who at Sennheiser did you speak to and at what office?

The only open ranges you have are 530-536 and 548-554. Shift your mics there and try them.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Old July 21st, 2007, 06:40 AM   #15
Inner Circle

Yep, Ty, I called Sennheiser before, during and after, each time they tell me that the range I have is the best. I figure if you can't rely on the manufacture.........hehe. I guess this is why he told me bank 6. But if I continue to have problems, I'll get something else.

Ty, One person I have been in contact with at Sennheiser is Benjamin Escobedo; Associate Product Manager - Music Industry Team, he's the last person I think.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio