Has anyone dealt with CineCity and their version of the Glidecam? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old July 11th, 2007, 10:57 PM   #1
Major Player

Has anyone dealt with CineCity and their version of the Glidecam?

Web Link....
http://www.thecinecity.com/product.p...cat=243&page=1

Seems, key word seems like a good deal at 1600.00, but then again Tech support is in India (insert Sprint joke) and the product is coming from India.

I have a JVCHD110U, I film weddings with it all of the time and I want a shoulder/back/arm saver at this point. I also dont have the money to pick up a full Glidecam system to support my camera.

Feedback on this?
Jim Fields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2007, 09:18 AM   #2
Wrangler

This is the first time I've seen this particular system, and it represents some interesting developments but a few immediately obvious drawbacks.

The first as you mentioned is the overseas customer support, although they may already have distribution here. An immediate flag for me is that when you select the "contact us" tab on the website, there are no phone numbers or direct email address,, only an email form...

As far as the rig goes, there's nothing particular innovative about it except that they have done their homework and co-opted design elements from a number of different manufacturers, unlike their entry level gear which is directly copied from Glidecam.

The top stage is an interesting design but I would be concerned about the adjustment screw threads being so exposed to the elements--with a fine pitch thread it doesn't take much for dirt to get in there and start grinding. It also looks rather heavy (that Bogen quick release that is incorporated into it is a notably weighty component), which is only good if you are using the system with a particularly lightweight camera and want to add some heft. Otherwise, you will need to bulk up the base of the system considerably (in something like a 4:1 ratio to the top) to accomodate this overage.

The gimbal looks like a reasonably good design. I myself have never heard the term "wheelbarrow bearing". However all gimbals must be judged by their operation, not by looks or specs. The fact that the gimbal is movable up and down the post is good, although I would be wary of the thumbscrew adjustment clamp, that could be dangerous.

The base of the sled with telescoping monitor and battery brackets is a good idea and one that you see on high end sleds, although usually the rods themselves migrate fore and aft rather than the mounting point (I think it might allow for this looking at the picture but it's hard to tell). Nevertheless, this is the right concept and will allow for dynamic balancing as well as maximizing or minimizing the inertia of the system depending on the needs of the shot (something most users of a system like this will likely never use, but it's good to have). I can't tell if the monitor bracket can rise up the post separately from the battery bracket--it should.

The arm looks like a standard design--there is only so much performance that can be achieved by an arm of this type, they tend to be a bit springy and stiff compared to the Tiffen arms (Merlin, Flyer, etc.).

The vest is interestingly another entry into the backmounted camp that has become the flavor of the month for low-end manufacturers. I can't tell how stiff the back section is but this type of design will tend to twist a bit more due to increased torque if it's not done right. Since there isn't a rear view I can't tell if there are any adjustments for pitch angle on the arm connector, which is the critical means to regulate the flying attitude of the rig relative to the operator and without which the rig may want to fly away from the body, requiring much more effort to hold in place. In the small picture of the gal operating at the top of the site, this exact phenomenon is occurring (notice the arm to gimbal connector under her right hand, this should be level/horizontal, instead it is showing a pitch of about 10 degrees which is enough to send the rig screaming away from the body if you were to let go).

The "adaptor plate" for hanging the rig is intriguing in shape, definitely a unique design and it's clever that it accomodates all three components, but I would be concerned about it's thin construction and it doesn't seem to offer a secure way to dock the rig safely so you can walk away from it (the balancing pin is nice to have but there needs to be a way to mount the rig so that it isn't swinging around freely). Also I would be hesitant to mount a fully-laden sled on the pin with a lightweight stand unless it was festooned with sandbags or a helper--this is a potential recipe for a crash.

This all said, there is some decent design work implemented into this rig for the price point. I am guessing that it has a substantial amount of weight to it, which is not necessarily the worst thing if one is flying cameras around 6-8 lbs (as the added weight will give a more solid and inert feel to the operating), but given a tricked out 1/3" camera with 35mm adaptor, prime lens and other accessories, you will be getting the rig up to a range where the various components are being subject to levels of torque that will make the previously comfortable less so, especially the vest. However as I indicated earlier, the proof would be in the pudding, in this case flying the rig rather than inspecting pictures (the accompanying text is a tad didactic; 5 full paragraphs describing the theory behind the arm, but no mention of the maximum payload it will support, or how to fine tune the springs?).

Jim, specifically to your thoughts about using it for weddings--I know there have been plenty of discussions in the wedding thread about the pros and cons of using stabilizers, particular "full-size" ones like this for weddings, in terms of the amount of hardware, involvement of getting in and out of it quickly enough and the limitations of what you can and can't shoot when from the rig (while you can get beautiful moving telephoto shots, having the same sort of control over focal length [zoom] and focus as you do with handheld will be an issue, especially with the manual lens you are used to on the JVC camera).
Old July 12th, 2007, 02:01 PM   #3
Major Player

Sorry guys. It's a fake. I know because these same idiots tried this same thing by taking pics of an HBS members system and pasting it into a collage to signify something genuine. Do not be fooled. All those pics you see are pics of HBS members systems. Look at the Gimbal. It's the Gimbal that we had in a venture on HBS made by Gorden. They've also used products from other stabilizer websites. Really a smart touch. ;)

We blew their cover before when they mistaken cut out and paste in a members photo into their website. The website they had was different. I see they have a new one. AGAIN. IT'S Fake!!! Do not trust.
Old July 12th, 2007, 02:31 PM   #4
Wrangler

Wow, that's mindblowing CK. Can you link to some of the sources of those pictures? that's a fascinating amount of work to have put into this. So what is the deal--they just take your money and you get nothing?
Old July 12th, 2007, 02:47 PM   #5
Major Player

Unfortunately I'll have to go through the members system to find these pics and it will take some time. The back mount is from another company which I cannot remember. I'll also have to do a search to look for the rest. I remember this because there was a member on HBS who was inquiring about this new system. When we checked out the website we found out it was pieced together from different websites but mostly from members on HBS. I guess they read our post and they removed the site. I should have saved it. Stupid me. Here's the post on HBS that started it:

http://hbsboard.com/index.php/topic,....html#msg24846

It's been awhile but here is the stage from the group build we did:

First up, the tilting stage. See this link at HBS:

http://hbsboard.com/index.php/topic,....html#msg22161

Well, if I'm wrong about this then I'll have to make a huge apology
Old July 12th, 2007, 07:26 PM   #6
Major Player

Yeah, the stage looks like a simple copycat, but I haven't seen that gimbal anywhere, and it certainly isn't any of the group venture gimbals. Take a look at the clamping mechanism - just a screw through the grip pushing against the post! This one might be a real rig, might not be. But, I'm pretty sure I haven't seen that arm before, and both it and the vest look quite similar to the usual rigs from India that pop up on eBay quite regularly. I think this rig was also sold on eBay at one time too, because I know I commented on the Cody copycat topstage. That last copycat was a dead-on picture-for-picture copy with no description, this looks like it's just another one of the cheaply made knockoffs.

EDIT: Here's a thread about that rig and its sale on ebay. http://hbsboard.com/index.php/topic,2799.0.html

I'm sure not saying it's a good rig, but the situation may not be anything more than a cheap rip of some designs.
Tom Wills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2007, 11:30 PM   #7
Major Player

You might be right Tom. But it does seem that this is something I've seen else where. Well, If I am completely wrong then I apologies for jumping to conclusion.
Old July 13th, 2007, 09:16 AM   #8
Major Player

Now I am to scared to give these guys any money at all.

Who is this guy selling at HBS and what is he charging?
Jim Fields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2007, 09:20 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Fields View Post
Now I am to scared to give these guys any money at all.

Who is this guy selling at HBS and what is he charging?
Jim, pass by HBS and check out the venture forum. It's much easier than trying to explain. In fact there are gimbals, stages and socket blocks, that you will swear were commercial built. You'll be surprise what HBS is capable of manufacturing as a group. ;)

People just think we deal in broom sticks and paddles. :)
Old July 13th, 2007, 11:02 AM   #10
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles King View Post
People just think we deal in broom sticks and paddles. :)
They keep confusing you with those other guys, the Homebuilt Quidditch/Ping-Pong_Supplies.com site.
Old July 13th, 2007, 11:35 AM   #11
Major Player

HA! HA! CP you're worth a million bucks :)
Old July 17th, 2007, 12:28 AM   #12
Major Player

I'd be very leery of a company that will make an exact copy of a stabilizer (even the accessories) and sell it as their own. They don't even acknowledge they ripped of Glidecam. Many stabilization systems use elements of various rigs but not exact copies. Well, maybe not exact...probably their components aren't as good as Glidecams. I mean really...a wheel barrow bearing! I have some wheel barrow bearings and they aren't even close to the bearings used in most stabilizers.

Tery
Indicam

OK, I'm still laughing about the "Quidditch" comment.

sort of from "The Princess Bride"

www.indicam.com
Terry Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2007, 06:20 AM   #13
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles King View Post
All those pics you see are pics of HBS members systems.
You know CK, I'm really glad you're here. Thanks to you, a scam has been avoided -- much appreciated,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2007, 02:06 PM   #14
New Boot

Hi everyone,

The gimbal is a copy part for part of www.laigleparis.fr
but a dont think it is fluid like L'Aigle

Greeting!
Frédéric Savard
Fredric Savard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2007, 03:37 PM   #15
Major Player

These guys have been bugging me ever since I emailed them. I even called their bluff on the copied material.

Here is an email they sent me today, one of many that demand money.

Quote:
Dear Sir,

Thank you for your mail.

Are you still interested in our products ?

I have viewed your all comments on Forum - DVinfo.

This product is not copied, this is designed by us.

Waiting for your reply.

Thank you,
Best Regards,

Pratibha

actcare@gmail.com
Jim Fields is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)