CF5 doesn't seem to work with AE-CS3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old July 3rd, 2007, 08:35 PM   #1
Regular Crew

CF5 doesn't seem to work with AE-CS3

Sorry for the laundry list of problems but:

I took a clip just captured with PPro and CF5 Build 85 and if you look at the clip directly in After Effects CS3, it will play but if you try to put it to a timeline you get a screwed up picture that is kind of upside down and has vertical stripes all through it.

I attached a screen grab to this message.

This does NOT happen on AE 7.0 with Cineform, just AE CS3

Stacy
Attached Thumbnails
CF5 doesn't seem to work with AE-CS3-bad-cineform-ae.jpg  
Stacy Rothwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2007, 09:24 PM   #2
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Yes you need to remove to new components that don't work (yet) with CineForm -- They are ImporterDirectShow.prm, and ImporterAVI.prm from the Mediacore directory (sorry I don't have the exact location.) You will not loose any functionality for CineForm media, and you can restore these for non-CineForm project (if you need.)
Old July 4th, 2007, 07:27 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Perhaps I'm missing something - I've just tried what you've said and now AE CS3 just says it can't import any avi files, including Cineform ones.

Is there somewhere that describes getting this to work?

Thanks
Simon Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2007, 07:54 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Okay, having dug in further it seems I need CFHDIO.aex which I don't have - I'm running ConnectHD because I don't use Premier is it possible to get it to work? I don't mind an upgrade to NEO if I need to.

Thanks
Old July 4th, 2007, 08:04 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Newman View Post
Yes you need to remove to new components that don't work (yet) with CineForm -- They are ImporterDirectShow.prm, and ImporterAVI.prm from the Mediacore directory (sorry I don't have the exact location.) You will not loose any functionality for CineForm media, and you can restore these for non-CineForm project (if you need.)
David,

Only problem is that I commonly use both Cineform and non-cineform material in the same project in AE.

Any idea when this will be fixed?

Thanks

stacy
Old July 4th, 2007, 09:20 AM   #6
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Simon,

NEO does add the CFHDIO.aex module. However, just like Aspect HD I'm not sure it is active my default. Here is the registry tools to turn it on or off.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showpost....4&postcount=12
Old July 4th, 2007, 09:32 AM   #7
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacy Rothwell View Post
David,

Only problem is that I commonly use both Cineform and non-cineform material in the same project in AE.

Any idea when this will be fixed?

Thanks

stacy
Most uncompressed AVI materials and some compressed AVIs will work with the CineForm Importer, the main one that doesn't is DV.

When we will fix this? It was impossible to fix under AE 7.0, and we complained to Adobe on many occasions. There is a workaround, load AE and turn off the CineForm importer via the control panel, import all our non-CineForm media, save, and close AE. Reopen AE, and turn the CineForm importer back on, all your media will not work.

The problem with AE CS3 they didn't tell us on their intended fix until couple of months ago, by then it was too late to correctly "fix" their new methods -- CineForm is the only that needs to use it. We find the old API more feature rich. We will likely support the new API (which is based on Premiere's), but I worry is will not be as good as using the CFHDIO module until CS4.
Old July 4th, 2007, 09:34 AM   #8
CTO, CineForm Inc.

For Aspect HD uses, try removing only the ImporterDirectShow.prm comment, that might restore the behavor to AE 7.0. The many reason for CFHDIO.aex module was to add 10-bit support to AVIs in AE -- i.e a Prospect HD feature.
Old July 4th, 2007, 09:44 AM   #9
Regular Crew

It works!

Okay - so I installed NEO Player for now and it all works. (With removing the files and altering the registry).

What's also interesting is that I can import standard DV footage no problem too!?
Old July 4th, 2007, 10:16 AM   #10
CTO, CineForm Inc.

That is a cool finding, maybe CS3 fixed the DV issue with custom AVI I/O modules.
Old July 7th, 2007, 04:42 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Newman View Post
David, I did this but now it will not import ANY AVI files. If I try to just select one of the Cineform AVIs I get an error of AE saying it doesn't know what to do with it.

Stacy
Old July 7th, 2007, 05:02 PM   #12
CTO, CineForm Inc.

As Simon discovered, you have to set the registry to use the CineForm import module. Look at post #6 of this thread, I think that is the issue. Sorry to have you jump through the hoops, we will be making this easy on CS3 / Aspect HD users shortly.
Old July 10th, 2007, 04:12 PM   #13
Trustee

I got it to work

OK, I finally got my official copy of Production Premioum, got Aspect HD upgraded to v5.0.2 (Build 85) and when I opened AE CS3 I had the same problem.

I tried to hide the ImporterDirectShow.prm and ImporterAVI.prm files below where they were but they seemed to be found. So I moved them to a completely separate area.

Then I ran the AspectHD_AEImporterOn.reg file and when I started AE CS3 I was able to import CFHD files that I had converted with HDLink previously.

It took a while to figure out, but now that all the info is in one place it will be easy to help people do the same thing.
Old July 19th, 2007, 06:27 AM   #14
Major Player

I just download the new version of cineform (build 86) and still having the same issue of AE files. I'm wondering if this is something that is going to be solved soon . Also could somebody tell if there is any disavantege of having those AE files deleted from the software.
Thanks
Jose
Jose Ortiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2007, 03:50 PM   #15
Trustee

What AE problem?

Jose,

What problem are you having, and what steps have you taken to resolve the problem.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase