Dropped Frames at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old June 12th, 2007, 08:09 PM   #1
New Boot

Dropped Frames

My XL2 has always worked great until i recently took it back out after about a month of it sitting in its case.

I used my head cleaning tape before putting another tape in.

I filmed some stuff but now when i try to capture it into FCP it will capture for a few seconds then it will stutter and finally stop capture displaying a message that says

Dropped frames were detected in the last capture. Could not continue (or something close to that)

I tried a bunch of other different brand tapes that i had stuff already recorded on: same thing. Used the head cleaning tape a couple more times: same thing. I tried recording new stuff on new tapes: same thing.

What's also wierd is that the capture doesnt always stop in the same spot. It might capture 5-10 seconds more footage than the previous capture did, but still ends up displaying the "dropped frames" message.

Do I have to send the thing in? =/

God Bless.
Dusty Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2007, 12:21 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I don't know if this can be the same problem as mine but I recently had problems too with massive dropped frames. The problem: internal firewire card on my PC. It was a cheap $10 card i got from ebay. Repaced it with a card that had a dv 4-pin input. Now I get ZERO dropped frames.

Don't know if you have the same problem. Try capturing the tape on a different camera and see if you get the same results.
Tony Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2007, 11:16 AM   #3
Major Player

I would agree! It sounds like a problem with the NLE system. If you were having a problem with timecode breaks, then I would be inclined to say the camera was at fault, but dropped frames sounds like hardware other than the camera. Have you tried swapping out the firewire cable? Just a thought.
Ryan Mueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2007, 09:54 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Using FCP HD 4.5 on OSX 10.4.9? Here's the Fix

I think this simple fix might do the trick for you:

When Apple recently released OSX 10.4.9 they changed something "under the hood" that broke capture with versions of Final Cut Pro earlier than FCP 5. Long story short, the solution is to go into the Spotlight preference pane, click the Privacy tab, then add your Capture Scratch folder(s) to the list. Doing so will prevent Spotlight indexing of your footage while you're capturing it, which is what was causing your problem with dropped frames. =)

Of course, if you're using a newer version of FCP or an older version of Mac OSX then I don't know what to tell 'ya... Good luck!
Ryan Chaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2007, 07:17 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Chaney View Post
When Apple recently released OSX 10.4.9 they changed something "under the hood" that broke capture with versions of Final Cut Pro earlier than FCP 5. Long story short, the solution is to go into the Spotlight preference pane, click the Privacy tab, then add your Capture Scratch folder(s) to the list. Doing so will prevent Spotlight indexing of your footage while you're capturing it, which is what was causing your problem with dropped frames.
Wow! I think Apple deserve a smack for doing that. They've got so many people working on the iPhone, that their QC/QA is going to hell in a hand-basket.
Jack Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2008, 11:49 PM   #6
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Chaney View Post
I think this simple fix might do the trick for you:

When Apple recently released OSX 10.4.9 they changed something "under the hood" that broke capture with versions of Final Cut Pro earlier than FCP 5. Long story short, the solution is to go into the Spotlight preference pane, click the Privacy tab, then add your Capture Scratch folder(s) to the list. Doing so will prevent Spotlight indexing of your footage while you're capturing it, which is what was causing your problem with dropped frames. =)

Of course, if you're using a newer version of FCP or an older version of Mac OSX then I don't know what to tell 'ya... Good luck!
I forgot to reply to this, I'm sorry.
Ryan, this solved my problem, thank you very very much.
Dusty Johnson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders