XP does not see HV20 as HDV device at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old May 2nd, 2007, 06:10 PM   #1
Major Player

XP does not see HV20 as HDV device

Installed Vegas 7e. Plugged in my Canon HV20 HDV camcorder via firewire. Win XP pro recognized the camera (actually said "Canon HV20") and installed drivers. A short time later I needed to capture DV footage from the camera. Switched the camera over to "DV locked". Plugged it in via firewire. Win XP saw new hardware and installed "Canon DV device". Used external capture program in Vegas. Captured my video. Later that day went to capture HDV footage from camera. Set camera output to "HDV/DV". Plugged in firewire cable. Computer still thinks it is Canon DV device (that's what pops up), not the HDV HV20. In Vegas internal capture application for HDV, device is not available. Apparently XP overrode the drivers for HDV device when I switched the camera to output as DV. God - nothing is freakin' easy.

Any ideas?

Update: tried uninstalling the camera in the device manager. First time it uninstalled OK but then reinstalled the DV (not HDV) driver. Tried uninstalling a second time and now the camera doesn't show up at all. Did I mention nothing being easy?
Peter J Alessandria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2007, 08:10 PM   #2
New Boot

I use HDVSplit (a free download) to capture my HV20's footage. It saves the file in .m2t format. It also splits your videos when there is a scene change. You can then rename the file as an .avi for importing into Vegas.
I realize this is an extra step/program but it's another option.
By the way, if you want to view the raw .m2t file, use the VLC player (also a free download).
Gary Baines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2007, 10:46 PM   #3
Major Player

Eventually figured it out. On the third reinstall of the device driver for the camera I saw an entry in the "sound, video and game controllers" in the Device Manager (rather than in "imaging devices" where DV devices show up) for "AV/C Tape Device." The "av/c tape device" is apparently the HDV device driver in Windows. When I went back into Vegas' internal capture I could pulldown the preferences tab and find my camera under the IEEE 1394/MPEG2-TS Device drop down... It wasn't there before.
Peter J Alessandria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2007, 11:02 PM   #4
Regular Crew

were you able to remove the pulldown for 24p in vegas E

were you able to remove the pull down in vegas for 24p footage in up date E peter ????
Martin Newsome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2007, 11:13 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Newsome View Post
were you able to remove the pull down in vegas for 24p footage in up date E peter ????
Naaa. Negatory. NoCanDo. :-( I think this is going to be a Canon issue when all is said and done. Have you emailed Canon about it yet? http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=92971
Peter J Alessandria is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders