HV20 Upside Down with Letus35a Avoids Edit Flip at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old April 13th, 2007, 08:06 PM   #1
Inner Circle

HV20 Upside Down with Letus35a Avoids Edit Flip

One of the reasons I got the HV20, is I thought it my be easy to construct a mount to turn it over, to shoot with an adapter. In doing so, you avoid the need to flip in edit.

I contructed a prototype from a $10 strip of aluminum, and $5 worth of other material, and came up with my first attempt which seems to worki out pretty good. See the photo below.

Expect to mount a monitor on top, and my Beachtek adapter on back.
Attached Thumbnails
HV20 Upside Down with Letus35a Avoids Edit Flip-dsc06591.jpg  
Old April 13th, 2007, 11:38 PM   #2
Major Player

What if you need to adjust camera settings?
Evan C. King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2007, 12:15 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Very easy access the way it is set up. Toggle is accessible, as well as menu button. Everything is on screen.
Old April 14th, 2007, 12:27 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Letus Test

Here is a test shot with the newmount. Sure seems like quality is better when you don't have to flip first.

I am seeing a problem with "vibrating" reds with this camera and letus. See the toy car behind the girl.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=Y2763PSV
Old April 14th, 2007, 05:54 AM   #5
Major Player

Chris, did you have to cut and bend that aluminum yourself or is there a shop that can do it for you?
Old April 14th, 2007, 08:32 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos View Post
Here is a test shot with the newmount. Sure seems like quality is better when you don't have to flip first.

I am seeing a problem with "vibrating" reds with this camera and letus. See the toy car behind the girl.
Chris - perhaps I'm not clear: are you attributing the problem to flipping the camera? Does it not do this when the camera isn't flipped?

Being new to whole 35mm adapter thing, are there any out there that don't flip the image?
Peter J Alessandria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2007, 09:10 AM   #7
Trustee

Hahaha. I love these pictures of the HV20 with 35mm adapters. Most of the time the adapters are actually bigger than the HV20. I'm downloading the footage right now (if it's anything like other HV20+35mm adapter footage I've it's a winner for sure...this camera is amazing with adapters!)
Rafael Lopes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2007, 11:04 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Dulay View Post
Chris, did you have to cut and bend that aluminum yourself or is there a shop that can do it for you?
Just brute force and ingnorance.

Got the aluminun strip at Home Depot. Its 2 inches by 3ft, I think. About 1/8 or less thick.

I just hand bent it, and cut as needed. the part on top was done in bench vice. the other bends were done by force against an edge. For instance on top of a table, with a portion hanging over. (I actually had a a divice I built for a "steady cam" that I slip this into to get a bending angle, but that was just a convenient tool....)

Note: I extended the bottom piece by bolting together two pieces after the fact. I had originally had another idea, and cut it too short. So my next version won't be two pieces on the bottom.
Old April 14th, 2007, 11:06 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter J Alessandria View Post
Chris - perhaps I'm not clear: are you attributing the problem to flipping the camera? Does it not do this when the camera isn't flipped?

Being new to whole 35mm adapter thing, are there any out there that don't flip the image?
No, I just mentioned the red issue to explain it, it happens either way. I have started a thread on it to see if any one else has seen it.
Old April 14th, 2007, 11:11 AM   #10
Major Player

Now that is very cool and the footage is 1st rate!

Now, I'm completely interested in this Letus35a.

So it appears in the picture you have an additional lens (Nikon?). What does the Letus do for you in terms of added features? Depth of Field?...can you zoom better with this as well compared to the built in 10x range?

I'm new to this video world, but I'm already very addicted and would love to get shots like this.
Brad Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2007, 11:30 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Hey Brad:

Go to the alternative imaging section of this forum and look at all the adapters. They are all based on using a video camera to capture an image from a ground glass that is itself produced by the 35mm lens, taking advange of the depth of field characeristic of the lens and 35mm format. All the adapters involve methods of improving image to make it usable. Generally, they involve a vibrating or spinning ground glass, to eliminate imperfections of the screen. Google Brevis, Letus35, SGPro, Redrock M2, Mini35 for starters.
Old April 14th, 2007, 11:39 AM   #12
Major Player

Will do.

Thanks for the direction.
Brad Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2007, 02:40 PM   #13
Major Player

I sure don't see any vibrating reds. I don't see them in the T ball clip in this thread either: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=91471

Maybe I should be happy that my eyes don't see the stuff that some of you are seeing.

Good luck.

Dennis
Dennis Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2007, 04:08 PM   #14
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Vogel View Post
I sure don't see any vibrating reds. I don't see them in the T ball clip in this thread either: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=91471

Maybe I should be happy that my eyes don't see the stuff that some of you are seeing.

Good luck.

Dennis
Hmmm. I wondered if it had something to do with my monitors, both LCD.
Are you using LCD. See this thread for others discussiong it. I also posted a red bucket short clip there.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=91260

Red Bucket: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/attachmen...4&d=1176320138
Old April 14th, 2007, 04:39 PM   #15
Inner Circle

Hi Chris -
Saw the vibrating bucket loud and clear - 24" Dell LCD's - looked like the reds were oversaturated or something? Isn't red always a tough color to get "right"? I seem to recall something about not wearing bright reds in studio situations...

DB>)
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders