Shutter Speed and More at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old April 7th, 2007, 11:14 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Shutter Speed and More

What are the advantages of shooting at high shutter speeds?

Also, I know to shoot 1/48 while in 24p but what about in 60i?
Is it the same ratio? Is 1/120 the correct speed to shoot in 60i?

Finally, what shutter speed or configuration would give you the best/smoothest slow motion. I've been to the Slow Motion thread but it focuses more on POST-Producing the best slow-mo. I'm thinking like Clockwork Orange water scene slow motion or Full Metal Jacket snipes in slow motion. As smooooth as possible.

Thanks in advance.
-C. Collins
Chris C. Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2007, 12:09 PM   #2
Wrangler

Chris,

See this thread. It's essentially the same thing you are asking.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=90923

regards,

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2007, 08:12 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I was just in that thread, it's actually what sparked my question, and none of my questions are answered there.
Old April 10th, 2007, 02:52 PM   #4
Major Player

when shooting 60i use 1/60 shutter. This should yield results that you will be happy with. As a general rule you don't want to adjust for exposure using the shutter speed. Only adjust the shutter speed for creative reasons - to get a certain "look."

Basically, when shooting in any "p" (progressive) mode, your shutter speed is going to be double your frame rate. 24p gets a 1/48 shutter. 30p gets a 1/60 shutter. If you are shooting in an "i" (interlaced) mode, your shutter speed should be the same as your frame rate. 60i gets a 1/60 shutter.

Now, these are starting points. You can do anything you want for creative effects or to achieve a particular feel. But these will give you a good jumping off point.
Old April 10th, 2007, 09:03 PM   #5
Trustee

For slow-mo, 60i is always best... at least with the XL2.

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2007, 08:14 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Greyson View Post
For slow-mo, 60i is always best... at least with the XL2.

ash =o)

Bump up the shutter to 1/120 for that situation too?
Adam Bray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2007, 01:24 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Randolph View Post
As a general rule you don't want to adjust for exposure using the shutter speed. Only adjust the shutter speed for creative reasons - to get a certain "look."

Basically, when shooting in any "p" (progressive) mode, your shutter speed is going to be double your frame rate. 24p gets a 1/48 shutter. 30p gets a 1/60 shutter. If you are shooting in an "i" (interlaced) mode, your shutter speed should be the same as your frame rate. 60i gets a 1/60 shutter.
I agree with the starting points statement, but I don't agree that it's for creative purposes only. There's times when you're shooting 30p for example and your iris is already wide open, you have to go down to 1/30 to let more light in. I'd say that's a case where it's not a creative purpose, it's a necessity purpose. Sorry to nitpick.

Jonathan
Jonathan Kirsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2007, 04:19 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Kirsch View Post
I agree with the starting points statement, but I don't agree that it's for creative purposes only. There's times when you're shooting 30p for example and your iris is already wide open, you have to go down to 1/30 to let more light in. I'd say that's a case where it's not a creative purpose, it's a necessity purpose. Sorry to nitpick.

Jonathan
As a last resort, I would agree with adjusting the shutter for light. But only if you had no other way of getting the light.

Thanks for the input, but I still have one unanswered question: What about shutter speed related to post slow-mo? Wouldn't a higher shutter improve smoothness in slow motion?
Old April 11th, 2007, 04:34 PM   #9
Major Player

Yeah, I guess I chose the wrong words. I couldn't think of "last resort" for some reason (long work day already)...that sums it up pretty good. No offense meant towards Kevin.

Jonathan
Jonathan Kirsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2007, 05:03 PM   #10
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Bray View Post
Bump up the shutter to 1/120 for that situation too?

Nope, it should be 1/60th

ash =o)
Old April 11th, 2007, 06:11 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Greyson View Post
Nope, it should be 1/60th

ash =o)
Hey Ash, could ya answer MY question please? ;)
Old April 11th, 2007, 06:24 PM   #12
Major Player

Chris, a higher shutter speed will help eliminate motion blur and give you a better slow motion effect when the footage is slowed down in your NLE. I don't have any recommendations for an appropriate shutter speed though. It's been quite a while since I've had a reason to do slow motion... Check around here though, there are several threads talking about it and they also mention things like shooting in 60i and splitting the fields into two frames to get 60p witch automatically slows your motion down by half. Good luck on your foray...

Hope this helps...

Kevin
Old April 11th, 2007, 06:34 PM   #13
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris C. Collins View Post
Thanks for the input, but I still have one unanswered question: What about shutter speed related to post slow-mo? Wouldn't a higher shutter improve smoothness in slow motion?
Faster shutter will improve the sharpness of the image during slow-mo, but is also likely to cause more juddering because there is less motion blur. The actual effect depends on how fast the object is moving to begin with.

Richard.
Richard Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2007, 06:53 PM   #14
Trustee

Answer...it depends on what software you are using. Most people use After Effects which seems to work best with 60i footage at 1/60th that it can convert to 60P, giving you 40% of real time motion

ash =o)
Old April 11th, 2007, 09:15 PM   #15
Regular Crew

I am using, or would prefer to use Sony Vegas.
I have After Effects though, although I try to avoid it if possible since my computer really doesn't like it. It lags hardcore and takes way too long.
Chris C. Collins is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders