Record to disk software, Which to take? feedback needed. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > External Recording Various Topics
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old February 22nd, 2007, 07:01 AM   #1
Major Player

Record to disk software, Which to take? feedback needed.

hi all ,
i'm currently trying to get my dvx100b to go tapeless, trying to save the camera head hours. After a few search on the net. i come down to these two software companies.They claim to allow me to directly record into my Powerbook, into my external harddrive. Both allow me to use my powerbook as a external on site monitor.

I need to know if anyone has any experience with these software. I am not intrested in DV RACK . As i use a Mac User

DV Monitor Pro
http://www.redlightningsoftware.com/...tor%20Pro.html

Scopebox.
http://www.scopebox.com/

Scopebox has HD, but i only have a DVX100b. it allow me to upgrade to HD later (at a cost). one cost twice or more than the other. They both look good. And both has alot of features.This is not about personal prefrence,but I need feedback on certains issues.

My main concerns are drop frame, crashes. User friendly capabilities.Which one is more reliable. Does any one have any experience with them?

Also as i am currently using a WRD35PRO (35mm adapter)with my DVX100b. I actually like to know if any other software out there, that allows me to "record" the "flip image" from my adapter? Both the softwares has "Flip" function. But they don't allow you to record the flip image. You got to do it in post.

Thank you in advance for any feedback,
David
David Chia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2007, 10:23 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Chia View Post
I need to know if anyone has any experience with these software. I am not intrested in DV RACK . As i use a Mac User

Thank you in advance for any feedback,
David
I'm new to DTD as well and messed around with QTPro ($30) and that worked fine. I recorded 2.5 hours of SD footage, single file (~30 GB), with no problems. Set it to device native in the prefs.

iBook G4, QT Pro 7, 250 GB WD 7200 RPM IDE in external FW case, connect 4-pin from camera to external drive which is connected to FW port on laptop and it works great.

I also have FCP 5.1 on my iBook and that records in "native" format. Just use non-controllable device settings. I learned that from someone on these boards. The QTPro method required a render to DV using Compressor.

I don't edit on my iBook, I just use it as a portable setup. I'm filming my first "real" event this weekend with this setup and I'll post the results when I get done.

Grant
Grant Harrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2007, 12:31 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Chia View Post
Also as i am currently using a WRD35PRO (35mm adapter)with my DVX100b. I actually like to know if any other software out there, that allows me to "record" the "flip image" from my adapter? Both the softwares has "Flip" function. But they don't allow you to record the flip image. You got to do it in post.
I bought ScopeBox and asked the question about flipped recording because I also have a 35mm adapter. He said it is in the works for the next update.

http://www.scopebox.com/forums/index...rum=1&topic=10
Neil Camero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2007, 05:55 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant Harrington View Post
iBook G4, QT Pro 7, 250 GB WD 7200 RPM IDE in external FW case, connect 4-pin from camera to external drive which is connected to FW port on laptop and it works great.

I also have FCP 5.1 on my iBook and that records in "native" format. Just use non-controllable device settings. I learned that from someone on these boards. The QTPro method required a render to DV using Compressor.

I don't edit on my iBook, I just use it as a portable setup. I'm filming my first "real" event this weekend with this setup and I'll post the results when I get done.

Grant
For a stationary event this setup worked flawlessly for me. The service went over an hour and I had been recording both tape and direct to disc using FCP as a capture and I ejected the tape at the one hour mark, at a point of silence, because as stated in another post, the VX2100 drops audio when changing tapes, and recorded the last 15 minutes with HDD only. But the HDD kept recording just fine. Now I don't have to transfer my tape saving an hour of wear on the camera heads. I can store the tape. I'm looking at getting a HDD case for multiple drives to have "unlimited" recording. May or may not work for every situation, but for a semi-pro, it work's great. And if you don't have FCP, QT Pro will record for you as well.

Grant
Grant Harrington is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > External Recording Various Topics