HV10 Update? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old January 1st, 2007, 07:03 PM   #1
Regular Crew

HV10 Update?

I was just at Best Buy, and the manager informed me that as of 2-11-07, best Buy will no longer carry the HV10. He said the reason that would be is the product is being discontinued (by Canon) and they are preparing for the next version, which will appear this year sometime. He also said that no official announcment by Canon should be expected until their termination date of 2-11-07. Anybody know what's going on about this? The guy knew his stuff when I talked to him, so this wasn't just some high school kid making things up.
Brad Schreiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2007, 07:27 PM   #2
Major Player

Probably a Hard Drive based Canon HDV is on the way.

HV11?
HV20?
Brad Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2007, 07:58 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Hmm, that seems odd... discontinue only months after announce? It's barely been 3mos. You'd think they need to sell longer to make up R&D and mfg costs... not to mention it's a great camera..?
maybe they just added a mic input :)

I hope they don't ditch HDV for HDD only... great for fast capture but stinks for archiving...? although I can always buy yet another USB2 drive.... DVD format instead?
Does HDV even support HDD-style format, eg just bunch of M2T/MPG2 files on HDD editing programs could use/copy directly, or would it have to be like AVCHD type (new unsupported) thing?
Colin Gould is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2007, 09:27 PM   #4
Major Player

Can someone please clarify... you backwards-american's.. i dont know :P. Is it the 2nd day of the 11th month or the 11th day of the 2nd month? One day you guys will wake up and just go metric some day. :P

I'm hanging out for a HD camera and the HV10 was a nice performace:cost ratio for me. But is kind of lacking in certain areas so i was hoping to wait. if this is true than thank god as i wont have ot wait to much longer. :)

my MVX3i sack of crap was something i new had crap quality footage when i bought it... but now i've got a 154.2cm 1080p TV... it really does scream ugly. lol.
Old January 1st, 2007, 09:59 PM   #5
Wrangler

This is one American who shares your frustration with US time standards. FWIW, the first thing I do when I log onto a new computer for the first time is customize the US English settings to date format "dd-mmm-yyyy" and a 24 hour clock. Maybe someday we'll catch up with the rest of the world, but the US uses month-day-year and a 12 hour AM/PM clock. So when someone in the US writes "2-11-07" they mean "11 Feb 2007."

FWIW, I'll be **REALLY** surprised if Canon discontinues the HV10 as soon as Feb 2007. At most, I'd think that perhaps they'd do no more than a minor update, maybe with the same model number, maybe as an "HV11."
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2007, 10:46 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Backwards American Time Clarification

February 11, 2007 is the date of discontinuation.
2-11-07
Brad Schreiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2007, 12:10 AM   #7
Major Player

ah i was hoping (and thought) that was the one but wanted to check.

Pete Bauer, pity you're only one American. thats all i can say. :D
Old January 2nd, 2007, 12:27 AM   #8
Obstreperous Rex

He ain't the only one... I too prefer it that way, even without a military background. In fact the default board settings just might change to a 24 hour clock and day-month-year. No doubt to the delight of some folks and the chagrin of others!

Oops, I've thread-jacked again.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2007, 03:47 PM   #9
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Schreiber
I was just at Best Buy, and the manager informed me that as of 2-11-07, best Buy will no longer carry the HV10. He said the reason that would be is the product is being discontinued (by Canon) and they are preparing for the next version, which will appear this year sometime. He also said that no official announcment by Canon should be expected until their termination date of 2-11-07. Anybody know what's going on about this? The guy knew his stuff when I talked to him, so this wasn't just some high school kid making things up.
Considering that Canon just recently launched full page spreads on the HV10 and it's receiving such positive feedback, I'm somewhat skeptical of his comments.
Ken Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2007, 04:19 PM   #10
Major Player

maybe there will just be an additional model to compliment the HV10?

I LOVE my HV10 but would be tempted to sell and upgrade for three possible reasons - inclusion of 24/25/30f mode/s, inclusion of HDMI out and inclusion of Mic in (least important)
Fergus Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2007, 04:50 PM   #11
New Boot

Couldn't agree more, they're the exact same reasons that prevented me from getting the HV10.

In addition, would like to see direct to SDHC Card recording of HDV video, 1 x HDV tape = 12 Gig - we're getting pretty close to that now.

Would expect hdmi in the next model, it's pretty much becoming the de facto standard for home cinema connectivity.
Simon Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2007, 05:42 PM   #12
New Boot

This if from the Canon DV support team :/

Quote:
Dear Mr. Hunziker:

Thank you for your inquiry on the HV10. We value you as a Canon
customer and appreciate the opportunity to assist you.

Canon USA has made no announcements regarding discontinuing or releasing
a successor for the HV10.

For information on new product announcements, please visit:
http://www.usa.canon.com/html/CIWPRL...minisite=10000
Derek Hunziker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2007, 06:09 PM   #13
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Fenton
Couldn't agree more, they're the exact same reasons that prevented me from getting the HV10.

In addition, would like to see direct to SDHC Card recording of HDV video, 1 x HDV tape = 12 Gig - we're getting pretty close to that now.

Would expect hdmi in the next model, it's pretty much becoming the de facto standard for home cinema connectivity.
Well with those criteria, expect to get a very large, very heavy, very expensive HDV cam. You won't find those features in any small HDV cam and not even in some of the larger, more expensive HDV cams. In the meantime you're missing out on some superb HD footage!
Ken Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2007, 10:31 PM   #14
Trustee

No offense to anyone who works at these places, but it has long been a BS answer to give when your store stops carrying a product. Most employees at these stores don't know much if anything about the HDV camcorder market. It just doesn't make sense.

Best Buy is probably not going to carry this because it either isn't selling well or there is not enough profit to justify restocking it.

However I would love to find and open box version at my BB for about $500!
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2007, 10:35 PM   #15
Trustee

In addition I checked BB website and the HV10 is on sale for $1235.00. You can get it form several reliable online vendors including BH photo for $949. That's darn near $300 savings. No wonder they are not going to carry them.
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders