spiral flos at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old December 23rd, 2006, 09:59 AM   #1
Inner Circle

spiral flos

anyone tried making a small light bank with those spiral flourescent lights? I mad some up and got decent results. check out this grab...
Attached Thumbnails
spiral flos-g24.jpg  
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2006, 10:25 AM   #2
Trustee

Compact Flos

I know there is at least one company out there that makes them. Intersting becuase you get dimming capability simply by removing bulbs, or havig mutliple switches.

Got pics of what you made?
Old December 23rd, 2006, 04:39 PM   #3
Trustee

I've been thinking of the same sort of fixture. You can get a lot of light for little money since the cost of compact fluorescents has gone down so much. It's also a lot of light for little heat and electricity. I hate hot lights.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2006, 07:02 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Cascio
I know there is at least one company out there that makes them. Intersting becuase you get dimming capability simply by removing bulbs, or havig mutliple switches.

Got pics of what you made?
That's what I did paolo. I put two switches. Nine spirals in aluminum frame. It's very efficient, the biggest hassle is setup and breakdown, screwing and unsrewing the 9 spirals.

actually the attachment is the spirals and some ambient daylight. but it seems to mix well.
Old December 24th, 2006, 05:13 PM   #5
Inner Circle

You mean?

Hi Brian:

You mean like this? http://www.fotodiox.com/shop/product...oducts_id=4122

These have been out for quite a while. The rub is that spiral CFLs with a decent color temp and CRI cost about $20.00 ea. meaning that this $99.00 is really a $280.00 light (to do it right with real video usable bulbs) Not a lot of money but for $280.00, you can try a lot of other approaches as well.

I built some Kino Flo Diva 200 knockoffs for less that have more output and are easier to rig and control.

Best,

Dan
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2006, 09:02 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Brockett
Hi Brian:

You mean like this? http://www.fotodiox.com/shop/product...oducts_id=4122

These have been out for quite a while. The rub is that spiral CFLs with a decent color temp and CRI cost about $20.00 ea. meaning that this $99.00 is really a $280.00 light (to do it right with real video usable bulbs) Not a lot of money but for $280.00, you can try a lot of other approaches as well.

I built some Kino Flo Diva 200 knockoffs for less that have more output and are easier to rig and control.

Best,

Dan
yep, the ones I made are very similar to that. It cost me about $40 for materials. I just used off the rack Home Depot bulbs but the results have been pretty good so far...
Attached Thumbnails
spiral flos-g22.jpg  
Old December 26th, 2006, 11:04 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Check these out I bought one. They come with 6500 but I change them.http://www.briteklight.com/16procolibaw.html
Moises Crespo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2006, 02:04 PM   #8
Inner Circle

How is the build quality? the price is really low.

Did you get it with the stand and soft box?

have you used them yet?
Old December 31st, 2006, 08:12 PM   #9
Regular Crew

You add the softbox to the cost. Did not buy a stand already had one and I did used them, for the price it can't be beat.
Moises Crespo is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management