New Brevis/ HVX footage at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old December 9th, 2006, 05:19 PM   #1
Trustee

New Brevis/ HVX footage

I shot this for a series I am working on. It is shot using available light only and the outside stuff has gain in.

link is

http://www.cinevate.com/images/homeless2.mov

I need to work on the export setting in FCP. The image quality is superb, but the .mov compressed version isn't!

It was shot SD mini DV, but looks fab. Dennis has made one fine adaptor. Perfect for documentary filming making. An adaptor that doesn't need huge lights (or any extra lighting sometimes!)

Last edited by Phil Bloom; December 10th, 2006 at 04:28 PM.
Phil Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2006, 01:02 AM   #2
Major Player

Wow.
Best night footage I've seen with the Brevis so far.
My only criticism is that some of the shots of "Spud" weren't zoomed in enough - the vibrating edge of the GG is visible.

What lenses did you use?
Sam Jankis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2006, 04:46 AM   #3
Trustee

Thanks Sam,

I used a Sigma f1.8 20mm, Vivitar series 1 135mm f2.3 Zeiss 50mm and 85mm f1.4 Nikon 35mm f1.4

These are my usual culprits for most of what I shoot with my adaptors.
Old December 10th, 2006, 09:01 AM   #4
Major Player

Phil, I'm not sure that any piece of footage has moved me like that, screw the adapter. I'm not ashamed to admit that I was literally crying. Our thoughts tend to go out to our fellow humans at times of year like this, and your piece is very powerful.

If there's anything I can do to help with this project, host footage, equipment, whatever, just ask and it will be done. It's a sad, sad statement on our society that we often forget, ignore, or marginalize men, women and especially children in disadvantaged situations. Visual media is a magical tool to raise awareness, and I'm simply humbled that you used the adapter to help create this message.

Thank you for this work.
Dennis Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2006, 10:11 AM   #5
Major Player

Damn, that was good.
I`m even ashamed to ask what difuser was that or that I`ve always wondered how does the brightest wideangle perform in adaptor configuration like that.

Thanks,
T
Toenis Liivamaegi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2006, 12:51 PM   #6
Trustee

Impactful

Very powerful footage. Thank you for sharing.
Matt Jeppsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2006, 02:20 PM   #7
Trustee

Thanks Toenis,

Standard Brevis diffuser. You can get such a nice effect with a nice wide angle, the one I used in the EX DG Sigma 20mm f1.8. I use it a lot, it's got such a nice quality image.

standard version is now at:http://www.cinevate.com/images/homel...raitssmall.mov
larger one is now at: http://www.cinevate.com/images/homelessportraits.mov

larger version is 95.4 mb
smaller version is just over 13mb

called "homeless portraits"

Last edited by Phil Bloom; December 11th, 2006 at 01:32 AM.
Phil Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2006, 06:04 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Very nice images Phil...and great subject matter.
Ken Willinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2006, 11:26 PM   #9
Major Player

incredible

Hi Phil,

Your work is inspiring- especially around the holiday seasons: so many people become enveloped in the disease of consumerism, unwilling and unable to open their hearts to the PEOPLE around them. This has especially touched me, because it is the primary reason why I picked up a camera in the first place- because of the powerful effect moving images can have on the human pysche; which has far too often been used for evil, guile manipulation. Ahh, I could go on.

A question for you, the shot of Dennis and the street behind him- the cars look like they have been sped up a bit, but Im not sure. How did you get that particular shot? Of the three what lense did you use? I am about to invest in a Brevis for my HD100, so after seeing this footage it looks like my first lense might have to be the 20mm Sigma. How much weight does the entire setup add?

Wonderful stuff.

Alan
Alan Ortiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2006, 01:59 AM   #10
Trustee

links have change, old one at top of page no longer works and i cannot edit the post to change it, look a couple of posts up from here for the working links!
Old December 11th, 2006, 07:01 AM   #11
Trustee

bigger file is offline until it is encoded properly
Old December 11th, 2006, 10:13 AM   #12
Regular Crew

DL'ing the small file now

EDIT:
Oh man that's it?!?!?!?!

Geez, I wanted more, lol. It was such a good piece. Not sure what you were going for there but it spelled alot out for me, very powerful.

The shot of Spud that was blurred out but the DOF only outlined the people walking past/behind hiw was one of the most self voiced shots that I've seen yet. It's the reality of most homeless people that most of the world doesn't see them or see them for who they are or might be just as you secured in that shot. Bravo Phil, well done.
Old December 11th, 2006, 10:25 AM   #13
Regular Crew

WOW PHIL!! Lovely work! I take my hat off to you (If I had one that is). Whos that on the piano? Is that a track or compossed?
Old December 11th, 2006, 10:59 AM   #14
Trustee

thanks guys. We are doing some more filming with Ray and Darren on Thursday and Spud on Friday. Also we are meeting some more guys on Thursday night so there may well be more portraits to be done.

The music is Erik Satie, Gymnopedie no 3.
Old December 11th, 2006, 11:06 AM   #15
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Ortiz
A question for you, the shot of Dennis and the street behind him- the cars look like they have been sped up a bit, but Im not sure. How did you get that particular shot? Of the three what lense did you use? I am about to invest in a Brevis for my HD100, so after seeing this footage it looks like my first lense might have to be the 20mm Sigma. How much weight does the entire setup add?
Dennis was standing still and I just sped the shot up in the edit by 300% I should have shot it using the variable frame rate of the hvx to get a blurrier look to the cars when sped up.

The Sigma is a very very useful lens, it has a very nice easy focus ring that makes focus racks very easy, especially compared to my Zeiss lenses which have an almost 360 degree turn to do a full rack.

I havent used the rods yet to mount the brevis, but if you are using the jvc then i would definately recommend using rods. The sigma isnt too heavy but with the fujinon lens, brevis and sigma you have one long beast. A bit like when I mounted my Brevis onto my XDCAM HD!! It looks sooooo long!!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods