HC1 touch screen not working at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old November 1st, 2006, 06:30 AM   #1
Regular Crew

HC1 touch screen not working

My touch screen on my HC1 stopped working last night in the standard open position. It WILL work if it's folded flat to the camera and facing out. If I pull it out slightly it stops working. I reset the camera 3 times, tried different batteries, tried powering it down overnight, but there's still no change. I can use it like it is, but I'm worried about it eventually not working at all. Any suggestions? This is a really bad time to send it in for repair. I'm making a 'video yearbook' for a high school marching band and this is the next to last week in the season.
Rick Foye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2006, 03:15 PM   #2
Major Player

It sounds like it's a wiring problem. You should send it in as soon as you're able to.
Chris Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2006, 03:42 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harris
It sounds like it's a wiring problem. You should send it in as soon as you're able to.
I agree. Ribbon cable is dodgy. It should be a fairly easy fix. No doubt Sony will say it's a defective screen, but to me it just sounds like bad contact on ribbon cable which sends signals to and fro between camera and screen.
Stu Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2006, 06:47 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Holmes
I agree. Ribbon cable is dodgy. It should be a fairly easy fix. No doubt Sony will say it's a defective screen, but to me it just sounds like bad contact on ribbon cable which sends signals to and fro between camera and screen.
Definitely wiring. Now the screen won't turn on at all until it's folded flat to the camera. When it does turn on it stays on when I rotate it to the standard out position but it's upsidedown.

I'm thinking this didn't just happen out of nowhere. Two months ago I dropped it from a height of 5 feet onto asphalt. I didn't fully zip up my backpack and when I flung it onto my back it sent the camera to the ground. It hit nose first. I remember it making a very solid thunk when it hit. Like it was just a solid piece of metal.

I took apart the LCD plastic, but I haven't had much luck with LCD screen repair in the past. I decided to leave it alone. Where can I get parts if I decide to tackle it?
Old November 9th, 2006, 11:10 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quick fix: Bought an A1. I'll put the HC1 in the shop sometime after this weekend.
Old March 31st, 2009, 04:17 PM   #6
New Boot

I have an A1 and my screen has gone too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Foye View Post
Quick fix: Bought an A1. I'll put the HC1 in the shop sometime after this weekend.
My HVR-A1 screen displays ok but like yours will only operate menus when folded back to the camera.

What was the outcome of your repair, was it cheap and simple?
Simon Greenwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2009, 08:15 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Foye View Post
This certainly is a wiring problem. My HC1 had exactly the same problem as yours a few months ago and I took it to Sony Service here in Bangkok. The guy who took my camera dignosed it on the spot. The camera was with them for about a week while the ribbon wiring and a tiny chip that looked like an IC controller were being replaced.

The charge was just about US$35 (equivalent) for parts and labor and the camera has since worked perfectly. Put whatever you took out back on and send your camera in. It shouldn't cost much.

Wacharapong
Wacharapong Chiowanich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2009, 09:06 AM   #8
New Boot

I have the camera back now, it was just the cable that needed replacing, but it cost me over $500

I should have come to Bangkok!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wacharapong Chiowanich View Post
This certainly is a wiring problem. My HC1 had exactly the same problem as yours a few months ago and I took it to Sony Service here in Bangkok. The guy who took my camera dignosed it on the spot. The camera was with them for about a week while the ribbon wiring and a tiny chip that looked like an IC controller were being replaced.

The charge was just about US$35 (equivalent) for parts and labor and the camera has since worked perfectly. Put whatever you took out back on and send your camera in. It shouldn't cost much.

Wacharapong
Old April 22nd, 2009, 09:18 AM   #9
Major Player

Sony's flatrate. Hopefully they did a full service as well (they're meant to).
John Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2009, 10:00 AM   #10
New Boot

No, it was one of their service agents, who did check various readings. The Sony flat here in the UK is more (over £400/ US$568)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Miller View Post
Sony's flatrate. Hopefully they did a full service as well (they're meant to).
Old July 4th, 2009, 09:33 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:

Wacharapong
$35!

I had to get both my HC1 and my A1U fixed, same problem. Cost me $700 each. They replaced the ribbon cable in both.
Old July 4th, 2009, 10:15 PM   #12
Major Player

This completely amazes me. Did they give you an estimate before you agreed to them being fixed? If I were you I would have kept both of them as decks (all playback functions to be controlled solely by the computer via firewire) and probably gotten one or two Canon HV30/40s to replace them. You wouldn't have had to pay much more than US$700x2!

Just a thought. You might have some other requirements.

Wacharapong
Wacharapong Chiowanich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2009, 01:58 AM   #13
Major Player

I have the same problem with my A1 which I now use mainly as a deck. On top of the touchscreen not working, I get a scrolling picture like on a bad TV. I read on another forum where someone from videoonerepair.com quoted $360. I have never used them and have no affiliation so attempt at your own risk.

I absolutely refuse to send it to Sony. Last time I sent it in to Sony for a non-functioning tape mechanism, they charged $100+ for estimated only, total for parts and service came to $500+, took over a month which is way beyond the estimated time, and my memory stick was missing from the camera when I got it back. I think it's time for me to take a vacation to Bangkok.
Min Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2009, 01:42 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Sony repairs.

Quote:

Wacharapong

Mine is with the HC3 about a year ago. It took about 4 days to diagnose and fix. Also charged me about U$35 including labor. It's the ribbon cable as well. Annoying. The thing is, I can't change controls without the LCD even if I could still use the viewfinder.

Then about 5 months ago, I get a tape error message as the tape cage can't seem to lock when you close the tape. Sony wanted to charge me U$100. They say it was a busted sensor in the tape cage. Funny thing with Sony is they quote you about the cost in the phone but in the end, they always give me a discounted price when they finally charge me. This repair turned out to be just around U$80. The ribbon was originally charged at around U$55 but was knocked down to U$35. I didn't even ask for it. I paid with my card in both instances.

BTW, they return to you the damage parts. So, I have the damage ribbon cable and the broken cage assy. I live in the Quezon City, Philippines.

I am just annoyed by this as the hc3, is not that "heavily" used. It's as if there is a planned thing to conk out in time. I hope my Canon HF-100 isn't in the same mold.
Mel Enriquez is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series