Wide angle adapter HV20 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old March 27th, 2007, 10:36 AM   #1
Major Player

Wide angle adapter HV20

I just recieved my HV20 yesterday and was trying to purchace a wide angle lens.

Does anyone know what the difference between the WD-43 and the WD-H43?? B&H only stocks the WD-43 but other sites recommend the WD-H43 for the HV20.

Just curious if there was any difference between them.

Thanks,

Steve

EDIT: I might have answered my own question. Does the H stand for Hi-Def lens?
Steve Montoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2007, 03:15 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Hi Steve,
yes it does, according to Chris and it sounds logical.

I happen to own a WD43 and I personally think that the optical quality of it is well above the level needed for a good HD reproduction. But I still have to find out, as I haven't received my HV20 yet.
Pieter Jongerius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2007, 08:53 AM   #3
Regular Crew

availability of wide angle adapter

Greetings

I've been looking (but can't find from a reputable dealer) the WD-H43. Perhaps they're on a boat ??????? If anyone knows of a reputable etailer that has them in stock please send me a PM or email.

Also, I noticed the WD-H46 is available at BH: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ist&sku=294241
The "H" in the part # would imply that it's hi-def compatalbe. Any obvious reason (other than slight increase in size) for not using it with a step-up ring?

THANKS
JohnG
John Godden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2007, 07:44 AM   #4
Tourist

I wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts on this issue. Canon says that there is indeed a significant difference between the WD-H43 and the WD-43, though I don't know how much of this is marketing talking. I can't seem to find the WD-H43 anywhere in stock, so I was also thinking about the WD-H46 with a step up ring - it also happens to be cheaper given the unavailability of WD-H43s. Would there be any issues with use the WD-H46? Thanks in advance for any insight.
Casey Schulte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2007, 08:39 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey Schulte View Post
I wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts on this issue. Canon says that there is indeed a significant difference between the WD-H43 and the WD-43, though I don't know how much of this is marketing talking. I can't seem to find the WD-H43 anywhere in stock, so I was also thinking about the WD-H46 with a step up ring - it also happens to be cheaper given the unavailability of WD-H43s. Would there be any issues with use the WD-H46? Thanks in advance for any insight.
Casey

I'm quite sure the H46 would be OK optically................... with the possibility that the IF might be blocked. ????

I'm really desparate to find a H43. Damn!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wish Canon had delivered this lens at the same time as the cams. :-(

JohnG
Old April 11th, 2007, 11:10 AM   #6
Tourist

Thanks, John. Interestingly, videodirect.com claims to have some coming in over the next few days. I went ahead and placed an order because you can cancel at any time before shipment without much hassle (which I did when I located my HV20). I'll let you know if I actually get mine shipped any time soon.
Casey Schulte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2007, 04:08 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Godden View Post
Casey

I'm quite sure the H46 would be OK optically................... with the possibility that the IF might be blocked. ????

I'm really desparate to find a H43. Damn!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wish Canon had delivered this lens at the same time as the cams. :-(

JohnG
I am using the WD-H43 since the camera arrived, snapped on and have not taken it off since. (See my previous posts). No vignetting at all, very sharp and the AIF works very well. No blocking. Same with the WD-H38 for the HV-10. I would stay away from other adapters not design for the HD lens of these cameras.

Luis
Luis A. Diaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2007, 07:56 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Luis, how much distortion you get with the H43?

if you could post a fremegrab would be perfect

regards
Alberto Blades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2007, 09:09 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey Schulte View Post
Thanks, John. Interestingly, videodirect.com claims to have some coming in over the next few days. I went ahead and placed an order because you can cancel at any time before shipment without much hassle (which I did when I located my HV20). I'll let you know if I actually get mine shipped any time soon.
Casey

Hope you get the adapter.

You might want to keep an eye on Amazon, BH, and the other usual suspects for additional stock. I lucked-out and got the last one on Amazon tonight (Wed 04-11). :-)

Regards
JohnG
Old April 11th, 2007, 11:28 PM   #10
Regular Crew

My WD-H43 arrived at my local dealer today. I take delivery tomorrow. So, they are out there...
C.S. Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2007, 12:33 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberto Blades View Post
Luis, how much distortion you get with the H43?

if you could post a fremegrab would be perfect

regards
here you go......The Canon shot is with the H37C on the HV-10, the other is with the H43. This one is a real hunk of glass.

Luis
Attached Thumbnails
Wide angle adapter HV20-img_0116.jpg   Wide angle adapter HV20-img_0296.jpg  

Luis A. Diaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2007, 01:27 AM   #12
New Boot

panasonic wide lens

What about PANASONIC WIDE LENS VW-LW4307ME 43 MM FAK 0.7X? Will this lens do something good on the hv20 camera?
Andreas Dahlstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2007, 03:08 AM   #13
Regular Crew

I hope to see a comparative pictures of different wide lenses.

Fron now, all I can say is that Sony wide lenses are worse than any other thing I ever see. Believe it or not, here is a sample of what I'm talking about. Look at the cromatic distortions and see how everything around the edges is totally out of focus. This occurs even in wide zoom position.

Now I'm using a very cheap Kenko 0.43x, and have not any of this problems.
Attached Thumbnails
Wide angle adapter HV20-dsc00017.jpg  
Javier Gallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2007, 04:40 AM   #14
Regular Crew

wow, i just barely made it to. i ordered it from amazon last night with 2 left and now there out of stock. hope to put up some shots with and without the lens.
Jason Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2007, 02:29 PM   #15
Regular Crew

thanks! the quality seems nice, but nice distortion too, its hard to find a .7x without much distortion.

probably I'll be trying the raynox HD-7000PRO
Alberto Blades is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders