Stabilizer Plugin for Vegas? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old February 9th, 2005, 02:11 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Stabilizer Plugin for Vegas?

Is anyone aware of a video stabilizer plugin for Vegas 5 that is similar to this Premier Pro plugin?

http://www.wrigleyvideo.com/videotut...steadymove.htm

Thanks

Kelvin
Kelvin Kelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2005, 02:30 PM   #2
Sponsor: JET DV

Boris Red???
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2005, 08:54 AM   #3
Inner Circle

i use steadyhand.. but powerful as it is u have to refine it..
it also has issues with camera flashes and it loses tracking when flash cameras go off

its good, but it could be better..
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2005, 10:15 PM   #4
Inner Circle

considering theres a virtuldub plugin which does this, im hoping that someones gonna hack it and get a filter hapening.. (bit like the auto correct, which is AWESOME)

satish (i think) is also working on a Wax plugin which allows the use of virtual dub filters...
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2005, 10:20 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I realize that the Wax plugin works with virtualdub filters, but the "deshaker" filter in virtualdub is a 2-pass filter. Is there a way to use this filter through the Wax plugin in Vegas?
Kelvin Kelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2005, 08:52 AM   #6
Rextilleon

You might take a look at this article--http://www.digitalvideoediting.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=28849

THis method works pretty well--in fact some people like it better then using a dedicated application.
David Mintzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2006, 09:13 PM   #7
Trustee

hi ya'll,

just shot a lot of very shaky footages (even with the OIS on) from the XL H1 in 24p.

i'll need a method to clean this up via software. i see there's a plug as well as free plugins.

are there simple methods to do this in Vegas 6c? do i require a plugin of some sort to make my image stabilize. i think i'll have to stabilize my ENTIRE project. will i be sacrificing some quality? minimal?

how're people's experiences with image stabilizers on the software front via vegas? any quick solutions/good ones? cost effective?
Old February 27th, 2006, 10:04 PM   #8
Trustee

You might as well shoot it all over again. Stabilization is very time-consuming and resource-intensive...and that's on SD--you have HD.
Emre Safak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2006, 07:02 AM   #9
Trustee

hi Emre,

didya finish that shoot we talked about last time? i'd love to see it! =). email me about it.

re: IS. have you seen some of the demos they have linked here? it's quite good! =).

PS i was just looking around early this morning and noticed that boris fx has plugins for vegas. anyone have experience w/this?

Last edited by Yi Fong Yu; February 28th, 2006 at 07:46 AM.
Yi Fong Yu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2006, 08:50 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yi Fong Yu
PS i was just looking around early this morning and noticed that boris fx has plugins for vegas. anyone have experience w/this?
I ran some concert footage through both the Boris stabilizer and deshake.

GENERALLY I liked the deshake results better. The exception was in tight shots, when a performer took up a large portion of the screen. Deshake thought the performer was the stable part of the image, and on output the microphone (for example) was bobbing in time with the music. In tight shots, the raw hand-held footage was often nicer to watch.

In wider shots, deshake was a life-saver. It turned some jerky pans and zooms into smooth, almost professional-looking camera moves.

The Boris stabilizer IN THEORY is better for the tight shots, since you can mark certain features as "fixed" and it won't fall prey to the bobbing-microphone problem. I couldn't quite get it to produce the output I wanted, though, and I'm not sure why. The biggest issue was obvious interlacing artifacts; none of the Boris footage made it into the final cut.

I just didn't have the time to tweak the Boris output, so I can't say if it's my poor knowledge of the Boris interface (which is nasty, IMHO), or just a matter of the source not being fixable.
Robert Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2006, 12:12 PM   #11
Trustee

but deshake is so long&laborious! =(. does it work with m2t's?

can you use deshake INSIDE of vegas?

Last edited by Yi Fong Yu; February 28th, 2006 at 02:14 PM.
Yi Fong Yu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2006, 06:56 PM   #12
New Boot

Yi Fong Yu:

"does it work with m2t's?"

I don't know, but probably not. The transport stream will like render the process impractical. I've been using the Connect HD capture utility to bring the Z1 output directly into the Connect codec during capture. VirtualDub deshake can handle that. And output same same.

Check out http://www.sundancemediagroup.com/ar...aker_guide.htm

Darryl
Darryl Grob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2006, 08:49 PM   #13
Trustee

soo... no one has to stabilize their image via software? =). *sigh*.
Old March 6th, 2006, 10:29 PM   #14

You have several answers, but you're not happy with them?
Vegas will accept Red, but that's slow and very expensive.
Vegas will frame serve to DeShaker (which is faster) but that's too slow.
There isn't a fast frameserver or direct motion stabilizer that I'm familiar with, even as a stand alone. Dynapel is quite good, but it takes a long time, and yields soft results.
Nothing is perfect, hence the argument for shooting better in the first place, or using a cam that has a reasonably good optical stabilizer built in, or even electronic stabilization.
Something somewhere, has to be a tradeoff. Speed for quality, convenience for speed. And cost reigns above them all.
Deshake will work with CineForm, but you'd mentioned earlier you'd rather work with m2t's. 24f makes it even more difficult, as trying to stabilize with fewer frames is going to cost you a lot in quality. More frames is much better.
I'd recommend stabilizing what you NEED to stabilize, and practice shooting a bit more. Stay away from the long end of the lens unless you have a tripod.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2006, 12:40 PM   #15
Jubal 28

Also . . .

What you may be seeing as "shake" might simply be the motion characteristics of 24 fps footage. It doesn't act like normal video where any which camera move is OK . . . ESPECIALLY at the long end of the lens.

Learning to shoot 24fps is above and beyond learning to shoot good video. More rules apply.
David Jimerson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...