'Scope' by combining 16x9 and anamorphic adaptor at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion

Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion
...plus TRV900, PD100A and other Sony DV camcorders.

Old January 26th, 2004, 07:57 PM   #1
New Boot

'Scope' by combining 16x9 and anamorphic adaptor

A camera that can do 16x9 natively (our PDX10) combined with an anamorphic widescreen adaptor should give us 21.28 x 9 which is 2.36:1 and that is very close to to Cinemascope. Has anyone here ever tried this?

Who is also interested in trying this?

Guustaaf
Guustaaf Damave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2004, 09:00 PM   #2
Wrangler

Well Century makes a 37mm adaptor that is relatively inexpensive (maybe $250). Only problem is, what will you do with the resulting footage? Would probably need to upconvert to HD, then letterbox in the 16:9 frame. With square pixels you'd have a 480x1128 image size which would fit inside a 720x1280 frame. Now it does seem that 1128 pixels of width is a bit of a stretch for a camera with a 530 line resolution though. Unfortunately it's probably a lot more practical to just letterbox your 2.35:1 image in a 16:9 DV frame, which you could easily do in post.

But this is an interesting prospect which has been discussed here before. Let us know if you give it a try!
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2004, 12:07 PM   #3
Major Player

I have a Century 16:9 adapter on my Hitachi Digital 8 and I can use the letterbox mode to crop the 16:9 image to look like scope.[Essentially what you want to do--but I'm doing it in camera and I don't have to render]

While it looks okay--you don't get all the authentic optical distortion effects as if you use a 2x squeeze anamorphic lense. [I only know this by looking at movies like Die Hard]

I also have a Bell and Howell/Kowa 2x lens(which I got off of eBay )that I fitted to my camcorder using a SERIES 7 to 46mm adapter ring.

The resulting image is fullscope 2.66:1 with all the dramatic distortions it gives you--for example when you film down a street when cars entering the frameand then disappearing into the horizon.

This gives you the real deal and it looks wonderful on a widescreen HDTV set.

You of course have to first letterbox the footage first.

It works...

Go here and read up some more:

http://members.macconnect.com/users/b/ben/widescreen/
John C. Chu is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion