Bogen 503 Head problem at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old August 10th, 2003, 08:21 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Bogen 503 Head problem

I recently purchased this tripod head from B&H. I'm a novice and this is my first fairly expensive tripod setup. I notice a bit of slop in the head during pans. If I go from left to right the handle moves about 1/2 inch before the valveing kicks in. This jars the picture a bit. Sometimes I can start a pan(one direction) and it seems normal and halfway through the pan the slop is taken up with the same result. I try not to pan much but sometimes it is necessary and if I am not thinking about it the slop will mess up the shot. I'm just wondering if this is normal for a 503 head or is something wrong with the valveing in this particular head unit. Thanks for the help.
Randall Morton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2003, 09:00 AM   #2
Warden

In my experience that is about average for that head. Make sure it is fasten properly. Screws on the bottom may not be fasten securely. If you have a local dealer try and do a comparison.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2003, 09:10 AM   #3
RED Code Chef

Any chance you have the optical stabilazer engaged on your
camera? That might mess things up as well

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2003, 10:44 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks for the help.
I'm really just talking about the free play in the head when panning left to right, right to left. There is a space before the friction kicks in.
Randall Morton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2003, 11:51 AM   #5
Wrangler

Check the locking pins and maybe the tripod legs too.

For quick answers try our Search!
To see me and Rob Lohman click here
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2003, 12:19 PM   #6
Major Player

I've been using my 503 for a year or so now and have not had any of the problems you are describing. I'd recommend doing a head-to-head (pardon the pun) test with another. I've been really impressed using mine with the GL2 (and associated mounted mics, lights, wireless ....). Good balance and smooth pans and tilts.
Rob Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2003, 01:52 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Would anyone kindly offer an explanation for why an optical stabilizer would mess up rather than smooth out pans?
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2003, 01:56 PM   #8
Major Player

Gints,

Basic explanation: When you first start the pan, the VS thinks it's unintentional and trys to correct for it. Once you have continued the pan long enough for the VS to realize you really want to pan, it has to catch up so it appears as if you have a very rough start to the pan. Once it's caught up, the pan is smooth.
Rob Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2003, 02:18 PM   #9
Warden

Most consumer and prosumer cameras use only first generation OIS. It tries to correct pans, as Rob points out. Second generation OIS will not be effected by pans or tilts. Second generation is used in the latest Canon EOS EF super telephotos (300mm and longer). I've used some of these lenses and it works flawlessly.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2003, 07:08 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Jeff,
You diagnosed the problem perfectly. I checked this evening and the set screws had loosened enough to cause the play. Thanks again
Randall Morton is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Tripod Sticks & Heads