Building a Follow Focus at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old July 7th, 2008, 11:39 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Building a Follow Focus

Hi. I've just started this thread looking for help on something that just might be useful to more than one HV20/30 user: a follow focus.

For now, it could save the final product of a feature film... More info on this thread: http://dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=124514

Basically, I intend to do something like the next picture (and forgive the quality... I've just formatted my PC, have basically no programs installed, and am deeply tired from preproduction labour and need A LOT of sleep... :S ; by the way, that big thing is an HV20 from top view... :S).

http://dvinfo.net/conf/attachment.ph...1&d=1215495430

Some sort of gear connected to the focus wheel on the HV20 (the "Small Wheel"), and that gear connected to a bigger gear that acts as a big and easily maneuverable focus ring (ala 35mm cameras and such...). Everything supported by whatever may fix it to the camera body. That's the basic... Maybe someone can make up a plan? It's OK if the LCD cannot be opened (of course it'd be better the other way... maybe the follow focus could be placed at lower heights, preventing the obstruction) because we might get a small LCD monitor...

I will later explain better why I need this so bad, but I'll really appreciate whatever feedback you can give me to get to build this in as few days as possible (shooting starts on July 16th... :S). Blueprints are really welcome... =D
Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Building a Follow Focus-hv20_followfocus.gif  
Old July 8th, 2008, 02:29 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Hi Ernesto,

July 16th is pretty close. If you get desperate, check out this post I stumbled on last night:
http://eugenia.gnomefiles.org/2008/0...or-the-hv2030/

What would be cool is if the focus was repeatable on these small cams. You could just draw marks on the tool and voila! a cheap follow focus!
Tom Vandas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders