GTECH drive vanishing at will. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old July 1st, 2008, 08:46 AM   #1
Major Player

GTECH drive vanishing at will.

Since frying a cam a 2 years back I'm extremely careful with anything mounted to my mac (especially the tenuous Firewire).
As such since I purchased a GTECH GRAID (500gb striped) drive a few months back I always dismount it before turning it and the mac off. Over the past month it has occasionally decides to vanish from my desktop/finder/iMac - not a trace is found. Usually turning it off and the mac brings it back before panic threatens to destroy one!
However today (and hey - just as I'm busy on a project with a deadline) it vanished for several hours/reboots/FW wires re-inserted etc - nothing. One more reboot later, just as I was resigned to the fact I would never see the drive again (fortunately the data from my current job hasn't been captured yet) it finally reappeared - all old data intact.

I understand no drive is perfect and they often fail at random, but I'm wondering if this is a common experience (technology playing tricks on the humans etc!) and if there's anything I can do to ensure it stays put (I was recommended to turn it off each night).

It seems to have coincided with my iMac playing up of late (spinning ball and 'for the first time since I've had this machine' a complete 'crash').
It's do a check up at the mac store (the monitor out connection is kaput) so perhaps I can use applecare for once....fingers crossed I can get this job completed before any such misdemeanors occur once again.

On a slightly separate note, is backing up your main FW drives onto cheaper USB drives ok? I have had a cheaper USB2 drive for some time and not once has it caused me problems, unlike the 'revered' and more expensive GTECH (although aside from it's vanishing act it has been a wonderful, solid drive).

Cheers.
David Scattergood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2008, 10:46 AM   #2
Go Go Godzilla

David,

Before you go further with troubleshooting I'd highly suggest that you purchase and download a copy of DiskWarrior (www.alsoft.com). This behavior sounds exactly like a drive that has a seriously corrupted directory.

Fix this HDD's directory first, (and be sure to make a bootable disc and fix the directory of your OS/boot drive also) then worry about backups.
Robert Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2008, 11:13 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Lane View Post
David,

Before you go further with troubleshooting I'd highly suggest that you purchase and download a copy of DiskWarrior (www.alsoft.com). This behavior sounds exactly like a drive that has a seriously corrupted directory.

Fix this HDD's directory first, (and be sure to make a bootable disc and fix the directory of your OS/boot drive also) then worry about backups.
Thanks Robert - I'll look into that. I can't say I really muddled around with directories and sub front end stuff on either PC's or Mac's...I've enough on my plate nevermind all that crazy goings on!
I do occasionally run the disk repair/permissions repair however.
On this occasion however, running Disk Utility won't allow me to verify/repair permissions:

"Verify and Repair disk “G-RAID2 VIDEO”
Repairing disk failed with error Could not unmount disk "

Seemingly not in a good state then - it whirs up ok and physically looks ok...I wonder if it's worth checking it's warranty (I've had it just over 6 months).

I wouldn't however, even know where to begin with making a bootable disc, but I'll investigate Robert.

Bit pricey mind - bang goes my FCS2 upgrade :(

These things play up with perfect timing - every single time...

Thanks.
Old July 1st, 2008, 01:08 PM   #4
Major Player

I've now managed to repair and verify via Disk Utility.
I'm also going to leave the bl**dy thing on (at least till I've got this current project out of the way!) as opposed to dismounting it and switching it off every single night (whilst the imac is in sleep mode).
DiskWarrior appears to have many, many fans and a is clearly worthy (if not essential) acquisition.

Cheers Robert.
Old July 1st, 2008, 03:35 PM   #5
Go Go Godzilla

Note that the built-in Disk Utility can only address very minor directory issues and none at the folder/file level at all. You still need to purchase DW and get things fixed up to prevent more serious issues in the future. It will be best $100 insurance policy you've ever purchased.

With regard to creating a bootable disk, Alsoft will also send you a physical disk along with your download purchase.
Robert Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2008, 05:31 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Lane View Post
Note that the built-in Disk Utility can only address very minor directory issues and none at the folder/file level at all. You still need to purchase DW and get things fixed up to prevent more serious issues in the future. It will be best $100 insurance policy you've ever purchased.

With regard to creating a bootable disk, Alsoft will also send you a physical disk along with your download purchase.
Thanks Robert - I'll use some of the payment from the job I'm doing to grab a copy of Disk Warrior. I've found a relatively good price for the physical disc online....I might still have my FCS2 upgrade afterall :)
Cheers Robert.
Old July 2nd, 2008, 01:49 AM   #7
Major Player

G-Tech has changed hands just recently and the Santa Monica office is now deserted, but the company that bought them out is honoring warranties.

I have several G-tech drives and have found that the most frequent problems of these drives disappearing or not mounting have been solved by replacing the power supply.

Obviously this is a lot easier than replacing the drive.

I've done this at least three times over the past two years and my problems were solved.

I suggest you get hold of the company that now owns G-Tech (in Sacramento or Santa Anna, I believe) and talk with them about initially replacing the power supply. Of course you automatically have, as I recall, at least a one year - if not 2 year - warranty on the G-raid 2 drives.

Harry.
Harry Bromley-Davenport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2008, 02:27 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Bromley-Davenport View Post
G-Tech has changed hands just recently and the Santa Monica office is now deserted, but the company that bought them out is honoring warranties.

I have several G-tech drives and have found that the most frequent problems of these drives disappearing or not mounting have been solved by replacing the power supply.

I've done this at least three times over the past two years and my problems were solved.

I suggest you get hold of the company that now owns G-Tech (in Sacramento or Santa Anna, I believe) and talk with them about initially replacing the power supply. Of course you automatically have, as I recall, at least a one year - if not 2 year - warranty on the G-raid 2 drives.

Harry.
Cheers Harry - I'll also check if they have a UK base. I'm keeping it on at all time at the moment, although my usual practice is to turn it off each evening. Compared to the ultra quiet mac it's quite loud and with the bright white light on the front it severely disrupts our sleep! Thanks for the tips.
Old July 2nd, 2008, 10:33 AM   #9
Major Player

I didn't know you were in the UK.

My G-raids make almost no noise at all.

Something must be wrong with yours. You should return it, I think.

I repeat, mine is virtually SILENT.

Harry
Harry Bromley-Davenport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2008, 05:24 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Bromley-Davenport View Post
I didn't know you were in the UK.

My G-raids make almost no noise at all.

Something must be wrong with yours. You should return it, I think.

I repeat, mine is virtually SILENT.

Harry
It's just the fan harry...compared to my old PC it almost is silent...but compared to my imac (which is genuinely silent) it's like those funny boats you see driven around the everglades in Florida :). You've got me worried now...it's the Gtech Graid2 if that makes things different? When it's in 'action' the fan obviously kicks in a little more but when inactive it's just a distant whir...but it's enough to keep me awake...back to the ear plugs at night again :)
Old July 4th, 2008, 06:22 AM   #11
Major Player

Quote:

Has anybody on here made contact with Gtech in Europe (I'm slightly concerned they've be bought out)? I wonder if it is the power supply whether it's easier to nip to the local electrical shop and purchase a likewise PS, or are they dedicated supplies?
I'm about to take hold of a copy of DiskWarrior (amazon currently have a very good price on that s/w) but although the Drive is visible things have gone awry (FCP can no longer be accessed). If I can hang on a few days and squeeze the last piece of life out of FCP/the gtech drive I can then perhaps think about contacting Gtech in Europe.
Another option is to reset the scratch disks back to the iMac's internal HDD until the storm blows over.
Apologies for a bit of frantic posting but I'm pretty much the only one I know with such a set up and I'm currently *supposed* to be editing/creating completed DVD's for a series of theatre performances filmed this week... :(

Cheers all.
David Scattergood is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite