Follow Focus/Mattebox combinations? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old May 25th, 2008, 05:20 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Follow Focus/Mattebox combinations?

Hello All,
just wondering what follow focus/Mattebox combinations people are using with the Letus Extreme and Letus rails setup? I'm about to buy a Letus Ex and rails kit and am looking for a FF/Mb combination for use with a newly purchased EX1. Does the Redrock Micro gear play well with Letus? I looked at a group called 'Cinema gears' setup but could find only bad things to read about the company and associates. Are there other options that are working successfully for anyone?
Regards,
David.
David Warrilow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2008, 10:29 AM   #2
Major Player

Your Letus has nothing to do with the Matte Box and Follow Focus unit, as both items are more closely associated with the lens you put on the front of the Letus. Therefore, I'd say choose the kit that suits your lenses, rather than the Letus.

The only consideration is that your rails and supports all have the same diameter and distance, normally 15mm rod diameter and 60mm distance between the two.

Many people on this forum will scorn my latest choice of Matte Box, but I bought one of the Indian units from Ebay and I'm very impressed with it indeed. I do have a Chrosziel also but it made more sense to keep one Matte Box with each of our camera kits. Quite frankly I can not afford to buy Chrosziel for every camera so I bought what I could afford. The Redock Micro unit looks very good and is well priced but there is an unreasonable wait for it.

As for follow focus I've only ever used the Redrock, which is very good, does what it's supposed to and I recently purchased an SGPro unit, which is also very good, with slightly better build quality I'd say. Both units offer excellent value for money.

Hope that helps?
Stuart Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2008, 11:04 AM   #3
Major Player

Hi David

Yes, we've had great reports (and I've seen it in person) the microFF and microMatteBox both work great with the Letus setup

Cheers

Brian
Brian Valente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2008, 05:57 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Hi,
Thankyou Brian, Stuart I appreciate your feedback and advice.
Regards,
David.
David Warrilow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2008, 10:11 AM   #5
Major Player

You bet ;)

B
Brian Valente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2008, 04:50 PM   #6
Regular Crew

hi Brian!
Im concidering going for the redrock micromatte and followfocus for my letus extreme. How long should the support rods be for the to fit both the FF and the Matte and a lens and the extreme on the same rods. ?
Vegard Paulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2008, 05:06 PM   #7
Major Player

Hi Vegard

It will be either the 18" or 24" - generally 18" is fine provided you don't have long 35mm lenses. If you want to be safe you can get the 24" and just run them beneath the camera and out the back

Hope that helps

Cheers

Brian
Brian Valente is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods