De-interlacing at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old March 9th, 2008, 10:45 PM   #1
Major Player

De-interlacing

If I shoot 1080i 29.97 and capture in V8 will it de-interlace compared to capturing with cineform avi de-interlaced, compared to de-interlacing with virtual dub, with clip eventually going to 29.97p in vegas to mpeg4. suggestions for best and optimal method
Hugh Mobley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2008, 11:09 PM   #2

Vegas does a decent job of deinterlacing; if you set it up right, Mike Crash' plug based on the Vdub tool does a good job. Cineform does a very good job.
We're experimenting with some 60p tools for Vegas, and am very impressed with the deinterlace and conversion of 60i to 60p at 720 in Vegas as well. For the variations in render time, I'm very happy with Vegas for the conversion, although there are indeed better tools that cost quite a bit more and render much more slowly.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2008, 12:11 AM   #3
Trustee

Hi Douglas,
In my project settings i use 1080i, blend fields.
I was wondering when i go to render a mpeg in the template section where the field order is, should i use lower,upper order or progressive(none).
I live in Pal land and wonder if any field order will produce one better than the other?
Regards
Simon
Simon Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2008, 05:43 AM   #4
Trustee

Simon,i render upper field first.wether i shoot 1080/50i or 720/50p,the results are the same,smooth. On vegas if you look at the help section,then the manual,there's a section about fields, upper for tv,lower for export to DV,progressive for monitors. I've tried,with the same footage,upper and lower and progressive,then tried these dvd's on a CRT tv and LCD tv,all look crap except the upper field first.
I'm also in PAL land.

Paul.
Old March 11th, 2008, 08:00 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Ash View Post
Hi Douglas,
In my project settings i use 1080i, blend fields.
I was wondering when i go to render a mpeg in the template section where the field order is, should i use lower,upper order or progressive(none).
I live in Pal land and wonder if any field order will produce one better than the other?
Regards
Simon

PAL is upper field first.
If you're converting PAL to progressive, it's not so much about the deinterlacing, but more about the frame content. If your frame contains a lot of motion, you'll want to use Interpolate when converting to Progressive. If your frames contain little motion, Blend Fields is generally best.
Be sure you've got a progressive monitor on which to check it.
Old March 11th, 2008, 11:57 AM   #6
Trustee

Hi Douglas,

What tools are you looking at for your 60p converstions and do they work as plugins for Vegas. I'm running V8 now and would be really interested.

Thanks,
Garrett
Garrett Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2008, 12:20 PM   #7

it's a beta tool in the works, and yes, it works in Vegas. When/if the tool works out, you'll hear about it.
That said, the beta isn't doing _a lot_ better than the Vegas-only conversion.
Old March 30th, 2009, 04:17 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle View Post
Vegas does a decent job of deinterlacing; if you set it up right, Mike Crash' plug based on the Vdub tool does a good job. Cineform does a very good job.
Douglas, Which Cineform tool ? This wouldn't be the Cineform v2.8 encoder that comes with Vegas, would it ?
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...