Is it so much better that Z1 ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old December 21st, 2007, 03:25 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Is it so much better that Z1 ?

Hello :)

I followed a little whats writen about EX1. But all sampleclips and still frames don't look VERY MUCH better that what I know from my Z1.

I guess it's better, but maybe one doesn't see the difference in daily work. Or am I wrong ?

We did a short movie with a Sony HDW750. And THATs a difference. Even when converted to HDV. Of course much more expensive but one can really SEE a huge difference. Thats what I am missing from EX1.

What do you think ?

Thanks!

Peter
Peter Rixner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2007, 04:16 AM   #2
Major Player

Peter, guessing of what I have seen posted by now I find the overall EX1 image quality significantly better compared to my late FX1. Therefore I'd be very interested in a frame grab or a short clip of your Sony HDW750 movie. Can you share?
Old December 21st, 2007, 06:35 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Not having my camera yet my judgement is based purely on tests i've seen and the EX1 really beats down all the HDV cameras i've seen it tested against. Dynamic range is better and small details are clearer.
Tuomas Sebastien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2007, 07:25 AM   #4
Trustee

simply put...streets ahead
Old December 21st, 2007, 07:59 AM   #5
Trustee

The EX1 1920x1080P image is excellent. I have yet to see any sub 10K camera display this quality. Also, please remember the XDCAM 35mb codec is one of the reasons to move from the HDV standard.

But having said that, if you feel the Z1 is good enough, than why bother with anything else. Stay with the Z1 until you feel the difference meets your needs.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2007, 08:50 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Miles better than the Z1, I've done quite a few side by side demos as its a great way to upsell from the HDV range to EX.

Obviously a £40k HDCam is going to be a million times better than anything costing 35,000 less...
Jamie Allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2007, 09:26 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks so far.

But still, what I have seen so far looks so typical HDV-ish that I really don't see why I should change.

But it's definetly the better camera. No doubt.
I just think it make no differnce in daily work.

Thanks!

Peter
Old December 21st, 2007, 09:44 AM   #8
Trustee

Ok, Peter enjoy your Z1 ! ;)

Peter, this may be of interest, just found it:
Sorry for the quote. I could not find a way for a quick link short of the whole thread.
>>>
"XDCAM EX "
Posted by RayRoman on Dec-02-07 at 11:00 PM

Well, I received my XDCAM EX cam from Sony on Friday. All I can say is WOW!!!! We have been shooting with the Z-1's for about a year and a half.
I did a side by side comparison in low-light with the Z1 and the EX. Unbelievable!!! I set-up the EX and Z1 with 0 gain in a very low lit room. The picture on the Z1 was pitch black, while the picture on the EX remained low-lit and clearly visible. I then lit the area with a 35 watt Litepanels LED dimmable light. The picture on the EX was superb with very nice skin tones and colors, while the Z1 remained dark and lacked color. When I adjusted the gain on the Z1 to 12db, the picture was as equally lit as the EX with 0 gain, but the colors were visibly better on the EX.
The EX shoots in several different formats ranging from 1080/30p to 720/24p, including 1080/60i. The over/under cranking feature on this camera is amazing. If you can deal with the costs involved and adjust your work flow a little, this camera is a beast. It's everything any wedding videographer could want in a camera and more.
Ray
<<<
http://www.digitaljuice.com/communit...=1&key=&#88500

Last edited by Steven Thomas; December 21st, 2007 at 11:55 AM.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2007, 10:02 AM   #9
Major Player

I don`t know if it is of interest, but take a look at this website http://www.dvuser.co.uk/content.php?CID=171

I have e-mailed Nigel a few times. He knows a lot. Loads of interesting stuff here.

Svein Rune
Svein Rune Skilnand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2007, 12:46 PM   #10
Regular Crew

*lol*

"It's everything any wedding videographer could want in a camera and more. "

I am sure the EX1 is great. I'll give it a try.

Peter
Old December 21st, 2007, 05:30 PM   #11
New Boot

Ex1

I have the EX1 and I am overjoyed. The definition of the screen display is crystal clear. It feels very sturdy and the 2 8GB cards that came with the camera store 50mins at full res. Awesome.
Daniel Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2007, 03:47 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Thanks. That all sounds good.

Another problem to me:
How do You store that 16GB for future use ?

I guess its devided in several small clips, what would make it easier. On the other hand more complicated, when the editing application isn't available or cant read the old files after several years. But I guess thats how it will work from now on.

BEsides the higher compression with HDV, does anyone know if the new Z7 will also have that improved resolution ? But thats maybe another forum.

Peter
Old January 1st, 2008, 10:15 AM   #13
New Boot

I store it on hard drives.
Hard drives are geting cheaper by the day.
I will also back up onto Sony professinal discs
Daniel Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2008, 10:45 AM   #14
Inner Circle

The Sony Clip Browser will play back the clips. No need for an edit system. Burn to optical disc and include clip browser and your client wont need to worry about a deck (which is an especially bad problem with HDV and all the incompatible formats between Sony, JVC, Canon). Also change the.mp4 to .ts and a Blu-ray player or PS3 can play the files. Blu-ray players, at $300-$400 and dropping, are fare cheaper than decks.

The long term problem of compatibility would occur only if the Sony Clip Browser or future software players disappeared or if Blu-ray players disappeared.

I can easily and cheaply find CD players that can play data recorded to CD from 10 to 15 years ago. I can't say the same for my D2 tapes though. How easy will it to be to find an HDV deck to play back an HDV tape recorded on Canon at 24fps or JVC 720p in 15 years? I think using optical disc will maintain compatibility with future playback mechanisms a lot longer than any tape format.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Rixner View Post
Thanks. That all sounds good.

Another problem to me:
How do You store that 16GB for future use ?

I guess its devided in several small clips, what would make it easier. On the other hand more complicated, when the editing application isn't available or cant read the old files after several years. But I guess thats how it will work from now on.

BEsides the higher compression with HDV, does anyone know if the new Z7 will also have that improved resolution ? But thats maybe another forum.

Peter
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2008, 12:33 PM   #15
Inner Circle

The EX1 produces much cleaner images with more detail than the Z1. The EX1 pictures look more natural with less edge correction and detail enhancement. At the same time it needs between 1.5 and 2 stops less light to produce a comparable image. It also offers an amazing range of frame rates and features including true timelapse and the ability to over-crank.

The 720P material form the EX1 is simply stunning and compression artifacts are just about non-existent meaning you can really push the footage hard in post when grading. 1080 footage is also very clean, much cleaner and more robust than HDV. The lens is far better than any lens I have come across on any camera at this price level, certainly better than the lens on my Canon XL-H1 and Sony Z1. I don't care whether its good optics or good electronic correction but the almost total lack of CA rivals and in some cases out performs my expensive KH20 lens on my F350. Add to that the novel manual focus ring and manual iris ring and you have great user friendly optics which is more than I can say about the Z1's horrid servo system.

So is it better than a Z1, IMHO, hell yes!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds