Remote Lens Control on the PDW-EX1 - Page 8 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old April 8th, 2008, 07:23 AM   #106
Major Player

Anyone wants to make a comparison of zoom controllers

So there is the Libec, Varizoom, Manfrotto and Bebob Zoe-Ex..Ahhhh... so many choices..
So if you want recording and zoom - nice slowwwwww zoom (like the Cowen brothers use :-) )
What does one use ?
I live in Australia - so once I order an EX1 from BH - I don't really have a choice of returning or trying another one out..

Also, on the HV20 site there is a list of must-have accessories for the HV20. Would anyone care to have such a list for the EX1 ?
Thanks!
Anmol Mishra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2008, 06:27 PM   #107
Major Player

Anmol,

Why would you want to order from America.

I just bought my 2nd EX here in Melbourne for a very reasonable price with three 8 gig cards thrown in (one a redeemable from Sony).

There are three dealers in Melbourne and asked all for a quote.

Suggest you do the same in Sydney.

cheers Vaughan
Vaughan Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2008, 07:32 PM   #108
Major Player

Oz pricing

Hi mate. I saw it listed for about 10K. BH has demo special for 6K USD - about 6.6 AUD with the exchange rate..
Even the new ones are 7K AUD from BH.
Just seemed excessive - having to pay the premiun..
If you don't mind me asking, how much did you have to pay in Oz ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaughan Wood View Post
Anmol,

Why would you want to order from America.

I just bought my 2nd EX here in Melbourne for a very reasonable price with three 8 gig cards thrown in (one a redeemable from Sony).

There are three dealers in Melbourne and asked all for a quote.

Suggest you do the same in Sydney.

cheers Vaughan
Anmol Mishra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2008, 07:40 PM   #109
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anmol Mishra View Post
Hi mate. I saw it listed for about 10K. BH has demo special for 6K USD - about 6.6 AUD with the exchange rate..
Even the new ones are 7K AUD from BH.
Just seemed excessive - having to pay the premiun..
If you don't mind me asking, how much did you have to pay in Oz ?
B&H wont send an EX1 overseas, so unless you can either get someone in the USA to buy it for you or you fly over and pick it up, you wont be able to get it from there. They have an agreement with Sony and refuse to send anywhere but the USA (and maybe Canada)...

I know they arent a sponsor of this site, but seeing as B&H wont send to Australia, maybe you should try Expandore, thats where I got mine. Saved about $3k AUD on the ridiculous Australian price.
Robb Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2008, 08:54 PM   #110
Trustee

I got mine in Sydney from an authorised Sony dealer for under AUD $9K inc GST but that was before the Australian dollar went through the roof so I'd imagine by now the price has come down even more. At the time I looked at grey imports but the money saved was minimal and simply not worth the risk and grief.
As this dealer has personally delivered my camera by hand to Sony for its 'fix' it does pay to buy locally in my opinion. I also got the second 8GB card no questions asked.
If anyone in Sydney would like their details PM me. If you do PM me, please, please make certain your email address in your profile is current.
If Chris doesn't mind I'm more than happy to post their contact details.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2008, 02:54 AM   #111
Major Player

I bought off the same dealer as Bob - highly recommended and again about $9K AUD. Worth the investment for the excellent customer service. My first camera had serious vignetting, the second likewise - the dealer blasted Sony and I got a third camera that was perfect plus the extra 8Gig card plus a free high capacity battery - plus peace of mind knowing that if there are any other issues in the next 2 years that it won't be a problem to get them fixed. I have bought overseas in the past with my Z1, but with the EX1, I am glad that I bought local.
Old April 16th, 2008, 06:15 PM   #112
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
Just to let you guys know that the Manfrotto solution (both handle-integrated, and separate clamp-on controllers) will be available in 2-3 weeks time. The software has been tested and works nice with the EX1.

Also, the Manfrotto controllers will be offering a bit more than just variable zoom, start/stop, and RET. Worth waiting and considering:)
Has there been any addtional info about this product? Was it shown at NAB?
Tnx, Craig
Craig Hollenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2008, 04:06 AM   #113
Inner Circle

OK, so as I indicated before, the Manfrotto 521-ex offers - in addition to the usual Rec/Standby, and Ret (for last clip review) buttons - also two "snap zoom" buttons. What they do is activate the highest possible zoom (both directions), regardless on the current maximum speed set for the rocker when pressed fully.

And, when you set the latter to the minimum (with a nice thumb wheel on the unit's side), carefully operating the rocker can result in really nice, slow, creeping zooms (well above a minute from Wide to Tele, and vice versa).
Attached Thumbnails
Remote Lens Control on the PDW-EX1-dsc00040.jpg   Remote Lens Control on the PDW-EX1-dsc00037.jpg  

Old April 21st, 2008, 12:36 PM   #114
Regular Crew

Quote:
OK, so as I indicated before, the Manfrotto 521-ex offers - in addition to the usual Rec/Standby, and Ret (for last clip review) buttons - also two "snap zoom" buttons. What they do is activate the highest possible zoom (both directions), regardless on the current maximum speed set for the rocker when pressed fully.

And, when you set the latter to the minimum (with a nice thumb wheel on the unit's side), carefully operating the rocker can result in really nice, slow, creeping zooms (well above a minute from Wide to Tele, and vice versa).
Where did you get your 521-EX ???

I cannot find it anywhere...

Thanks, Scott K.
Scott Karlins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2008, 01:25 PM   #115
Inner Circle

Mine is a testing, pre-production unit - but the final product will be available soon.
Old April 21st, 2008, 04:31 PM   #116
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas McKay View Post
Remote focus control is possible and I have already made a unit but have not yet brought it to market.
I bought a Varizoom Stealth for my Z1s specifically for toggling focus to mimic the Push Auto focus function. I hope you're adding that button to the EX1 controller as I just received the EX1.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2008, 10:42 PM   #117
Regular Crew

Quote:
Mine is a testing, pre-production unit - but the final product will be available soon.
oh, I thought it was already shipping. I need a remote this week. Would love to get that one. Do you know when it will be out? And the price?

What would be a good one in place of this one?

Scott K.
Scott Karlins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2008, 03:48 AM   #118
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gints Klimanis View Post
I bought a Varizoom Stealth for my Z1s specifically for toggling focus to mimic the Push Auto focus function. I hope you're adding that button to the EX1 controller as I just received the EX1.
Unfortunately, the Push Auto Focus function is not implemented in the EX1's lens controller interface; no zoom remotes on the market offer anything focus-related for this camera.
Old April 22nd, 2008, 12:20 PM   #119
Inner Circle

Quote:
Unfortunately, the Push Auto Focus function is not implemented in the EX1's lens controller interface; no zoom remotes on the market offer anything focus-related for this camera.
This makes me sad. The Sony exec at the NAB interview was talking about the great support the EX3 would have for remote control in distant installations in sports arenas. If lens zooming is included, I bet full control , including focusing, will also be possible.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2008, 12:48 PM   #120
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gints Klimanis View Post
This makes me sad. The Sony exec at the NAB interview was talking about the great support the EX3 would have for remote control in distant installations in sports arenas. If lens zooming is included, I bet full control , including focusing, will also be possible.
EX3 is a completely another story in this regard - rather than a "zoom control", it has the proper "remote control" interface, allowing for cotrolling virtually all camera setting with the same kind of devices as the 900 camera and alike.

Last edited by Piotr Wozniacki; April 22nd, 2008 at 01:18 PM.
Piotr Wozniacki is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds