Found Lens Hood for WD-H43 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old August 9th, 2007, 01:24 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Found Lens Hood for WD-H43

Finally, I got myself a lens hood for the wide angle lens adapter WD-H43. I recently bought the Canon XH-A1 and the WD-H72 Wide Angle lens adapter. So this is the original lens hood from the XH-A1. It's a little loose, so I put a doubleside tape around. Then it fits really tight with the screw on the lower left of the hood.
Attached Thumbnails
Found Lens Hood for WD-H43-a1hood1.jpg   Found Lens Hood for WD-H43-a1hood2.jpg  

Found Lens Hood for WD-H43-a1hood3.jpg   Found Lens Hood for WD-H43-a1hood4.jpg  

Found Lens Hood for WD-H43-a1hood5.jpg  
Taky Cheung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2007, 04:45 PM   #2
Major Player

Sweet! Is there a part number listed on it? I wonder if Canon sells it as a spare for the XH-A1. :-)
Old August 9th, 2007, 05:48 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I looked around the lens hood itself as well as on the manual, there isn't a part number associated with the lends hood. Too bad!
Old April 30th, 2009, 07:45 PM   #4
Inner Circle

To order this Lens hood from Canon US, call

Canon Parts Department 866-481-2569
XH-A1 Lens Hood Part# D52-0320-000
$17.91 + $6 shipping + local tax
Old September 5th, 2009, 09:37 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I looks like you've installed the hood flush with the edge of the lens. How do you protect the lens in this configuration? Is there a large rectangular cap available to cover the hood opening?

I've left about 2-3 mm of my lens protruding through the inner ring of the hood so that I can attach the OEM lens cap. Can't say I'm crazy about the setup (not that it's awful or anything) but I want the lens protected when not actively shooting.

Anthony
Anthony Nalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2009, 09:44 AM   #6
Inner Circle

I use the lens cover come from WD-H43. It fits on the lens hood. I also have the lens hood for sell http://lacolorshop.com/products/item.asp?id=a1hood
Old September 5th, 2009, 10:37 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Nalli View Post
How do you protect the lens in this configuration?
I'm pleased to see that a wide-angle converter at last has a 16:9 aspect ratio hood. Noticed how many cameramen are still using 4:3 hoods on their wideangles in this day and age?

One way round the protection dilemma Anthony is to not go the Canon route but to get the Z1 / FX1 hood - that way you get shutters built in and a proper 16:9 mask rather than Canon's rather radiused so-so aspect ratio.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2009, 11:38 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Would you happen to know the part number for the Sony hood you suggest Tom? I'd really prefer barn doors!

I have a V1U and tried the original hood as well as the wide-angle adapter hood (from the Sony V1U on to the HV40) but neither worked.

Is the hood you refer to from the Z1 the one from the original lens? The part number for the one for the FX1 is 218643003 but I don't know if it's available.
Old September 5th, 2009, 11:46 AM   #9
Inner Circle

The FX1 and the Z1 share the same hood, and it comes with the camera. Don't know the part number, but do know it's available separately.
Old September 5th, 2009, 12:16 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Thanks Tom. That Sony part number I referenced would be it then. I just ordered it!

On a related note, I may have that Canon hood available for sale soon! :-)

Anthony
Old September 5th, 2009, 12:40 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Oops - the Sony hood is far far more complex than the Canon hood, being made up of just under thirty parts (how do they compete with Canon's simplistic hood on a commercial basis?)

As such should it vignette your image (after all it's designed for a pretty feeble 32 mm wide-angle equivalent) then hacking it into a petal hood will leave it looking more of a mess than you may like.

Look what my colleague Nick did to his Z1 hood to accommodate the best wide-angle you can get:

Z1-Aspheron4 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

tom.
Old September 5th, 2009, 12:55 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Okay, hold the phone. Are you saying that the Sony lens hood is possibly NOT suitable for the WD-H43???? A refund will not be possible but I CAN cancel the order if I do so QUICKLY!
Old September 6th, 2009, 01:19 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Of course I'm saying that - nothing's for sure until it's tried and tested - just like a brand new Mini DV tape.
Old September 6th, 2009, 07:17 AM   #14
Regular Crew

I took your suggestion as another viable option for a hood over the Canon one discussed in this thread and used by others. If the diameters match up then I'll consider that to be a suitable solution until I have it in hand and discover otherwise.
Old September 6th, 2009, 07:20 AM   #15
Regular Crew

The filter diameter for the Z1 is 72, the lens cap for the WD-H43 is 74.5. That sounds like it should work out, no?
Anthony Nalli is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders