Click here to view Fitness Video pilot shot with 4 XL's and a jib at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Show Your Work
Let's see what you're doing!

Old August 6th, 2002, 10:56 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Click here to view Fitness Video pilot shot with 4 XL's and a jib

This is a test pilot for an international professional fitness instructor. This is the reason it is very plain and in a typical gym. When you are doing screen tests you don't build an extravagant set or tote all this gear to an exotic location. It was shot with 4 XL-1's with one flying on a jib specially made for DV type cameras or those weighing 15 lbs and below. In the opening you can see wide shots of the set with the jib and other XL's. Enjoy!

Link:

http://community.webtv.net/JEFCom/LEIGHCREWSSTREAMING
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2002, 09:47 AM   #2
Major Player

James,

Very nice work. How long did the pre-planning take for the creation of that video?

Regards,
Houston, Texas
Paul Sedillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2002, 10:47 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Pre-production

There was really no planning other than sercuring the gym for the location. The jib was built the night before, the cameras set up early on the morning of the shoot and we rolled shortly thereafter. There were only three crew members, two camera ops and one p.a.. The other two cameras were locked down since she stayed on the mat the whole time. This was just a screen test to see what coverage would look like on the real shoots. She was so familiar with her presentation there was no rehearsal either. I love working with talent like that!
Old August 8th, 2002, 03:44 AM   #4
Major Player

Did you record the audio directly to a camera, or did you go to some other audio recording device?
Houston, Texas
Old August 8th, 2002, 11:46 AM   #5
Air China Pilot

I'm impressed. It really does show off what a well-laid out shoot can pull off. I really liked the jib work and also the way the clips were edited together from the multiple angles.
Old August 8th, 2002, 02:40 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Audio

Studio,
Yes, the audio was recorded straight to the master shot camera and the others were later synced to it with the slate. The music was played live, but very low, and added again at a bit higher level in post.
Old August 8th, 2002, 02:55 PM   #7
Major Player

Re: Audio

<<<-- Originally posted by James Emory : Studio,
Yes, the audio was recorded straight to the master shot camera and the others were later synced to it with the slate. The music was played live, but very low, and added again at a bit higher level in post. -->>>

You know I never even thought about the music playing live, but that would make sense. Did your actor/instructor use a wireless mike or did you use a boom?
Houston, Texas
Old August 8th, 2002, 04:40 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Sound for talent

The instructor is wired with a typical beltpack lav mic. They usually use boom mic headsets. A boom mic would not have worked with this shoot because of the high and wide shots with the jib.
Old August 8th, 2002, 06:28 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Just a heads up,

You can tell its a body mic when she leans face down on the mat, you can hear the echo generated by the bounce back. Very nice work though.

Marc
Marc Betz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2002, 03:14 PM   #10
New Boot

nice job

James,

thanks -- good work. The lav mic seemed to work pretty well. She certainly has good breath control, to extemporize like that -- but I guess fitness instructors get used to that sort of thing.

The occasional high jib shots and jib-descending shots were nice. One poss. thing I missed (mainly for some poss. visual variety I guess) might be some occasional real low, close shots; but you can't have everything -- at least not in a 4-camera shoot that's (evidently?) done in just one take. For the idea I mention, it would require a handheld cameraman lying on floor at instructor's foot-level, looking up -- maybe or maybe not suitable, just a thought.

Am curious -- what's the reason for doing the music live, rather than adding it in post? For overall mood / momentum / pacing of the instructor? (perhaps she's used to having music when teaching the routine?)

Anyway, I watched abt. 14 minutes (don't know how long the whole thing is). This appeared as streaming video via my Windows Media Player.

small tech question: Somebody had told me that for Win Media Player, one has to download the whole file, can't do streaming (unlike RealPlayer or Quicktime) -- but obviously this isn't true. What resolution (pixel dimensions) did you use for this? I guess you can do streaming (this via 56K modem for me) if you keep the image small . . .

In general, the edit seemed good -- w/ emphasis on being able clearly to see the movements.

d.i.
Other Shore DVD
davidisrael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2002, 07:05 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Live audio playback

David,

#1 The reason the jib did not do low tracking shots is because the master shot was directly beneath the jib remote head. We could have just flown right in front of his shot and taken the jib shot as we flew in front of him, but it was really to close to his head to risk it. It would have been a good shot though. If you play the video again, you can see the set up with the wide shot of the set, just hit the space bar to pause the video and again to start.

#2 The reason for live audio playback is what you mentioned. This is what she uses to set the tone. I am very sure that with her experience and knowing her set she could have done it without the live playback.

#3 The running time is 20 minutes

#4 Windows Media ability to stream. You are definitely streaming this video. If not, the download time would have probably been an hour or more with dial up. If you get the opportunity, view this and some of the others with a high speed connection for much smoother, clearer playback. It depends on the file type as to whether it will stream or not. Streaming is also called progressive downloading. That is, you are able to view it as it is fed to your computer but it is NOT retained on your hard drive.
Old August 16th, 2002, 07:35 AM   #12
Posting suspended -- Contact Admin

What kind and how many jibs did you use for the shoot James?
It looks really nice.
jonniesiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2002, 07:08 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Jib system

I used a jib system specially designed for DV systems called the Jib Lite by Stanton Video. You can see pictures of it in production at the following sites:

http://community.webtv.net/JEFProductions/JIBCONFIGURATIONS

http://www.jimmyjib.com

Only one jib was used on this shoot
Old August 27th, 2002, 09:28 AM   #14

James, generally speaking I thought the video was nicely done. My only concerns were:

1) Sound -- when she turned away from the mic it was very hard to hear her. Under these conditions, you might want to consider using two mics--one on each side. Then, no matter which was she turns, she will be clearly heard.

2) Camera angles -- although she may not have needed to rehearse, I think some important visual information was missed, based on the camera angle and/or shot selected in the editing phase. It would have been to your advantage to rehearse so the camera operators could see what she was going to do. That way, they could have provided better coverage, providing more options in editing as well as making certain that the movements were being fully shown.
Jay Gladwell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Show Your Work