Canon XL H1, AG-HVX200, or What? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old August 13th, 2007, 11:38 AM   #31
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Marotti View Post
Thanks Again !

BTW I am a Premiere Pro 2 and soon PPro CS3 user. I heard that your camera is mac friendly, would the Canon be more suited to my editing workflow?

Thanks!!

AM
HDV will be somewhat easier than DVC ProHD P2 as far as a Premiere Pro workflow. You can convert P2 media with CineForm (my personal method) or, at one time DV Rack had a capture converter, but I'd have to go back and see if there is a transcode component in the new CS3...I can't remember.

I've worked with the SI Mini. It's a fantastic camera, but it requires a workflow mindset change entirely. It needs a laptop (my Dell M90 is a good candidate) to capture its output via Gig Ethernet, and that workflow produces CineForm RAW files. It's an exceptional workflow for image quality, but the camera is a big change for most video guys.

However, with superior exposure latitude compared to an F900 (I participated in a side-by-side comparison in San Francisco in January), it's an impressive value for anyone who does independent film work as the images are beautiful and the CineForm RAW workflow really preserves image quality.
Old August 13th, 2007, 01:39 PM   #32
Major Player

Hey Tim, thanks for the input!

I found some information on the SI Mini, but all of it was forums and news groups. Where is the actual company located so that i can get specs and pricing?

Also, do you think that the Canon would be an easier workflow for me?

I'm still leaning toward the Canon as for the picture quality, SDI-HD Out, and the Lens.

Thanks Again!

AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Kolb View Post
HDV will be somewhat easier than DVC ProHD P2 as far as a Premiere Pro workflow. You can convert P2 media with CineForm (my personal method) or, at one time DV Rack had a capture converter, but I'd have to go back and see if there is a transcode component in the new CS3...I can't remember.

I've worked with the SI Mini. It's a fantastic camera, but it requires a workflow mindset change entirely. It needs a laptop (my Dell M90 is a good candidate) to capture its output via Gig Ethernet, and that workflow produces CineForm RAW files. It's an exceptional workflow for image quality, but the camera is a big change for most video guys.

However, with superior exposure latitude compared to an F900 (I participated in a side-by-side comparison in San Francisco in January), it's an impressive value for anyone who does independent film work as the images are beautiful and the CineForm RAW workflow really preserves image quality.
Old August 14th, 2007, 09:19 PM   #33
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Marotti View Post
Hey Tim, thanks for the input!

I found some information on the SI Mini, but all of it was forums and news groups. Where is the actual company located so that i can get specs and pricing?
http://www.siliconimaging.com/Digita..._features.html
Jack Walker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition