1 Tb Dvd at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring

Old December 8th, 2006, 04:33 PM   #1
Trustee

1 Tb Dvd

http://www.engadget.com/2006/12/08/u...to-single-dvd/
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2006, 04:43 PM   #2
Inner Circle

This is exactly why I once said that Blue-Ray and HD DVD should not be fighting. They should be working together and getting a new product to market. Also, I said that the HD DVD was the best to move forward with as it didn't require a lot of new equipment for the DVD manufactures. It would also save time and money.

If they keep fighting it out, something better will come along and render both platforms obsolite, along with all the equipment that we have put our hard earned money into.

It will get even more interesting. :)

Mike
Old December 8th, 2006, 09:02 PM   #3
Trustee

HD-DVD may be winning at the moment when it comes to movies but the XBOX360 and the PS3 will be a key issue in the outcome of this war and in Japan, Microsoft is severely struggling with only 113,000 XBOX360 units sold this year according to Famitsu so expect to see Blu-Ray beating HD-DVD in Japan because of the PS3 if supply increases. Panasonic, Sony and Hitachi plans on releasing Blu-Ray camcorders by next year so it’s safe to say that Blu-Ray has already won the disc camcorder market without any competition what so ever. If Toshiba decides to make a mini HD-DVD camcorder with VC1 as the compression then that’s a different story.

Because of online distribution, don’t expect any other format to succeed either Blu-Ray or HD-DVD. Within a few to several years the internet will be so fast that it would be hard for a future disc medium to compete although future discs will still be good for personal storage.

Sony has already announced that games for a future PlayStation will be sold as download only while Microsoft and Nintendo will probably do the same thing with their future game units.

I’ve already helped a video/film production company get a contract with Google to sell their TV shows and Documentaries. Since they have a documentary almost completed, we plan on uploading it to Google before it gets to a disc distributor.
Old December 8th, 2006, 10:21 PM   #4
Inner Circle

With respect to video games you may be correct, but I have no idea, and neither do 99% of the rest of the world. No matter how popular these video games are, their impact on regular folks who buy DVDs for movies etc., I believe is negligible. Look at the total number of PS3's, Xbox's or whatever sold, then compare to your basic DVD disk, be they a Hollywood movie, or home made movies or just data storage blanks, then figure the cost and availability.

Even with high speed downloads and such, people want to have a way to save what they have just paid a lot of money to get. Foolish as it may be!

Let me give you one example of what I mean. Remember when the computer and its storage capacities and media were supposed to eliminate paper and printing???? Much to everyone's surprise printing and paper usage went through the roof because everyone wanted a "Hard Copy" of what they had. I am a good example of that myself, I admit.

Right now, in this business, time is critical. Build the best product you can and get to market fast. Build an industry around it and then be prepared to be out done in just a few years. Maybe less!

The advancements we have seen since Edison invented the phonograph are nothing compared to what we will see in just the next ten years! I just hope that I am around to see it and that society can find a way to deal with it. It is changing human kind as we type. It does not seem that long ago I bought my Commodore 64, now look where we are.

Mike
Old December 8th, 2006, 10:36 PM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Teutsch
Let me give you one example of what I mean. Remember when the computer and its storage capacities and media were supposed to eliminate paper and printing???? Much to everyone's surprise printing and paper usage went through the roof because everyone wanted a "Hard Copy" of what they had. I am a good example of that myself, I admit.
That is interesting. I basically stopped printing as I become acquainted with Acrobat (the format in which most of my documents are saved).

I am glad the next generation of writable optical media is here. I will be using it once the price reaches my level, and the kinks are sorted out. I wonder how archival they are?
Emre Safak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2006, 11:08 AM   #6
Trustee

Since you have more PS3s then standalone Blu-Ray players and the HD-DVD add-on for the XBOX360 will surpass standalone HD-DVD players if it haven’t already, then videogames is a key issue in the outcome of the HD-DVD verses Blu-Ray war and its been reported that the average game user is 26 years old.

As for online media, the I-pod has already made sure that the standard CD will never have a true replacement. Why wouldn’t the same thing happen to movies? Also why would you care about buying a movie already on a disc when you can download it from the internet and burn it on a disc?

Right now not to many people have fiber optic lines for the internet so Blu-Ray or HD-DVD will still be doing very good but in several years, High Definition downloads will be more common so it would be very hard for a new disc medium to compete with the internet. Sony, Microsoft, Apple, Google, Divx, Verison, Amazon and Netflix are all prepared for the internet battle with ambitious online distribution plans that will surprise a lot of you.

Last edited by Paulo Teixeira; December 9th, 2006 at 01:53 PM.
Old December 13th, 2006, 04:44 PM   #7
Trustee

Here is some more information
http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=5269

Surprisingly with all this storage breakthrough news that you hear all the time, memory cards haven’t gone down in price as much as they should and there is still no 16 gig P2 cards.
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring