Sony Vegas 7 and XDCAM at IBC at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old July 7th, 2006, 08:44 PM   #1
Rextilleon

Sony Vegas 7 and XDCAM at IBC

Just pulled this off the Sony board----I wonder what they mean by a "robust" XDCAM workflow". Anyhow it looks promising.

"See the newest version of Vegas® software! Vegas 7 includes key enhancements that provide better editing solutions for HD, increased playback performance for both audio and video, a robust XDCAM workflow and advanced editing functionality for increased productivity. Also on show is DVD Architect™ 4, which is included in the Vegas+DVD Production Suite. Vegas 7 is available in late September, with French, German, and Japanese versions available in the following weeks."
Red #97
David Mintzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2006, 09:09 PM   #2
Jubal 28

More importantly, I wonder what they mean by "better editing solutions for HD."
David Jimerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2006, 01:29 AM   #3
Inner Circle

HDV:
If you believe in native HDV editing... Vegas could be better in that regard (i.e. real-time performance). Final Cut for example (supposedly) does some tricks in indexing the HDV as you capture, which allows it real-time performance.

And if you believe in intermediates then... maybe you're getting something like the whole cineform with Vegas???

HD:
I haven't done this myself, but the performance could be better here??

Or maybe Vegas will capture DVCPRO HD over firewire... ;P (Hell would start freezing over when that happens IMO.)
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2006, 02:23 AM   #4
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Chan
Final Cut for example (supposedly) does some tricks in indexing the HDV as you capture, which allows it real-time performance.
Apple definitely formats HDV to their advantage do they can pull off some stuff that other people have trouble with.

For instance, exporting a Quicktime formatted HDV movie directly off the timeline takes scarcely more time than exporting DV. One can only assume they are not re-encoding GOPs at cuts, but merely slapping things together in a way that Quicktime can deal with easily, but true HDV decoders would choke on.

Working with native HDV in FCP5 is only a tiny bit slower than working with DV on my dual 2ghz (not exactly a new machine). Given that you can make a final uncompressed render of your project for FX and GFX to tape, there's not really much of a downside to working in HDV.
Old July 8th, 2006, 07:42 AM   #5
Jubal 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Chan
Or maybe Vegas will capture DVCPRO HD over firewire... ;P (Hell would start freezing over when that happens IMO.)
Yeah, no kidding. Well, dare to dream . . .
David Jimerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2006, 01:00 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Well, maybe it would be able to capture TWO streams of DVCPRO HD at once...! :D

Xpri did it (for SDI), before it hit end of life and Sony stopped making the hardware for it (that allowed you to capture two streams at once).
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2006, 01:08 PM   #7
Wrangler

I expect that in two years, half of us will be working file-based to IT derived stores..."capture" issues as it were will be a memory on my rear-view mirror.

These days I'm becoming of the opinion tape based HDV/Firestore solutions will be short-lived indeed.
Old July 9th, 2006, 01:34 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
I expect that in two years, half of us will be working file-based to IT derived stores..."capture" issues as it were will be a memory on my rear-view mirror.
Well, you still have linear editing kicking around... it's faster for news. On the other hand, IT-based workflows would be a lot faster than linear editing... Sony is likely pushing XDCAM HD + whatever NLE as replacement for betaSP + whatever editor (i.e. linear).

2- Tape may still be a preferred delivery format... betaSP may still kick around for a while, as will 3/4" (because their workflow is already setup to handle that).

But really, file-based workflows would make more sense if people can get everything working, reliable, and compatible.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts