DV Expo Brief on EX1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old December 6th, 2007, 03:33 AM   #1
Major Player

DV Expo Brief on EX1

Hi,

Just got back from DV Expo West and attended two meetings on the EX1.

According to Juan Martinez, Senior Manager of Technology, Sony Electronics, it is true 10-bit, not 8-bit padded to 10-bit 4:2:2 coming out the SDI port.

Transferring files from the SxS card via a Viao or MacBook Pro was VERY VERY fast. Up to 10-times real-time (according to Sony). I watched them plug the card into a MacBook Pro using the Express Card slot, open up the clip software, and transfer a 30-second clip in about 4-5 seconds. This included re-wrapping it into MOV for Final Cut Pro.

I talked with a few Sony reps, and some had not heard of the vignetting issues.

They said they shipped about 300 units in the first shipment, and hadn't shipped any more yet. According to a Sony rep, there are a LOT of orders for this camera.

One of the sessions I attended wasn't very organized. People were asking about archiving clips, and the Sony rep didn't even mention the new XDCam drive that's out and will eventually write.

They did say this was the first camera in a series, who knows if/when something else will be announced. They said wait for NAB. That was the answer to a question that a guy had on why the new Z7U had interchangeable lenses and the EX1 did not.

That's about all I remember.
James Huenergardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2007, 08:36 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Huenergardt View Post
They did say this was the first camera in a series... that was the answer to... why the new Z7U had interchangeable lenses and the EX1 did not.
Makes perfect sense. No doubt we'll see a shoulder-mount version using interchangeable broadcast video lenses in the near future. Thanks for the report,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2007, 09:12 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Just some fun speculation. Given how the EX1 compares favorably in features to the F355, I suspect the F335 will be replaced. There may be a SxS version or a version that the user can record to either card or xdcam disc. I'd guess in the $12,000-$14,000US price range.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2007, 09:28 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I attended the same show as James. There were a few questions on this post regarding the audio options, are there filters etc. The short answer is yes, much more capability than currently is on the Z1. I took a photo of the LCD in the audio set mode and you can see the options that are available.
Dennis Kane
Attached Thumbnails
DV Expo Brief on EX1-dsc01004_1.jpg  
Dennis Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2007, 09:35 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Yeah... this is very nice, but where is the limiter?!!!

It was switchable on the FX1/Z1, but dropped since the V1...
Old December 6th, 2007, 09:56 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Are you all serious?! The speculation in this thread is - IMO - ridiculous. Sony are fully aware that the price of the EX is too low, if they ever do a shoulder mount version shooting full 1920 with interchangeable lens you can expect to be paying a whole lot more than $12k! (Which is only £6k, which is only £2k more than the EX1's list price...) Remember the two new cameras are HDV tape and CF card based - not really comparable to the EX/XD cams.
Jamie Allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2007, 10:23 AM   #7
Inner Circle

F335 with Sony Vegas and PDW-U1 drive Unit (around $2500 alone) is $14,999 at B&H DVInfo sponsor. I'd expect an SxS equivalent to be slightly cheaper assuming there's no XDCAM disc recorder built in to the camera.

Consider that the F355 is $23,999 and consider how closely the EX1 matches that regarding features. The key differences are shoulder mount, interchangeable lens, XDCAM recorder built in.

My guess is that adding interchangeable lens and should mount to an EX1 would about double the price. I could be off by 10-20% but if you look at the prices of Z1 and the new Z series cameras, Sony is pretty predictable with their pricing patterns.

One might consider the future EX we're speculating about might be close to the F355 in price but that would leave a pricing hole.

My guess is SxS only version will be at about the F335 and another with card and xdcam disc recording would be at F355 price. Since the F335 is now the "odd" bird, missing features that the EX1 has but having shoulder mount and interchangeable lens, it'll be the price point the next EX will target. I wouldn't be surprised if Sony announces such camera at NAB2008 and delivers end of that year or early 2009.

The one variable I'm chewing over is what to do with those who want F335 price range disc recording but then again the EX1 coexists with the new Z series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Allan View Post
Are you all serious?! The speculation in this thread is - IMO - ridiculous. Sony are fully aware that the price of the EX is too low
I doubt Sony introduced the EX1 as a money loser. That's truly absurd. Technology gets less expensive / better and manufacturers juggle those for market/price point.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2007, 01:39 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Here is my update from DV Expo.

I just returned to my new camera waiting for me #498. I did the test wide open, zoom and all, and no problems!!! Yes...

Talking to the Sony Marketing Rep, they are still shipping. He had not heard from Japan on the problem WED... but they are doing everything they can and are watching this website.

Im very happy my camera is fine after a few tests. The footage at DV expo of the xdcam looked very good on a plasma. After playing with my new camera tonight on a 1080p Panasonic 42 inch... I'd say, it is really incredible.

I am very happy. Sony Rep said for those with vinyett problems, that they will find out what is wrong and fix it ASAP with no denial. They also might become more involved with this forum (my recommendation) - and I hope they may begin a feedback with us like RED and Panasonic do on this forum and maybe even use posted footage in their demo reals at NAB (for those of us wanting to donate that use.)

I love RED but this Sony Camera to me is a mini RED at every level... and I do believe Sony is seeing the internet and how to use reach out to the forums for free feedback and marketing... let's hope they come here with open arms... as they have done a great job and need some encouragement to move beyond their corporate and traditional bounds... welcome Sony... we or I will have some footage to share for you!!! Thank you and DVi.
Greg Voevodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2007, 07:41 AM   #9
Trustee

Congrats Greg!
Glad to hear your camera does not have the vignetting problem.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2007, 08:07 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Speaking of a shoulder mount version, I believe they should release a shoulder mount verison of the EX with a fixed lens.

A 20x or 16x with 2x extender fixed mount lens would be a nice compliment to the smaller EX and would not be as expensive to produce, as it is basically the EX in a larger body.

This would give them a reason to keep the 330/350 at a higher pricepoint because they would be the only XDCAM HDs with interchangeable lenses.

For what I do, as long as the lens has enough range for a variety of shooting and is of good quality, I am happy with never changing the lens.
Tim Polster is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds